Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone bricked or broken

Default Iphone bricked or broken
    Okay i was being an idiot just because i jailbroke my cousins itouch that turned out perfectly fine after jailbreaking. So i got my moms iphone I think its 3g??? its the one before 3g. So i downloaded the firmware 3.1.2 and updated. So i got redsnow, seclected the firmware, and got to the part where it told me to have the iphone plugged in and off. i held the off button for like a min. The red off sliding bar didnt appear, so i thought that you cant shut it down while plugged in. So i unplugged it held the off button, when i saw the red sliding bar, i plugged it back in, then turned it off. The i got to the part when you hold the bottons for xx secs. but it never got to the duf mode or what ever. then it never turned back on. I held off/on button for like 5 min, then with the home button for 5 min. nothing happened. I used redsnow 0.9.2. someone help me!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Well, you can't restore it to a 3g firmware if its a 2g. Not sure what you did, or how, but plug it in and hopefully its in dfu mode to restore to a proper 2g iphone firmware.

ya i left in plugged in for like 30 mins hoping something would happen. I read in someone post that they left it plugged it in and it showed the silver apple after leaving it plugged in for like 5 min. that happening for me. any other ideas?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Try repeating what you did, because you literally CANNOT restore a 2g to 3g firmware, itunes won't allow it. So, what did you do exactly?

DFU mode restores fix like 90% of problems with software related issues.

Not sure im understanding you correctly or not, but try explaining again, using proper punctuation and details.
    Last edited by Shockster; 2010-06-23 at 11:49 PM.

okay, i found that its a 3g. umm i tried jailbreaking 3.1.2 . I couldnt turn off the iphone when it asked to have the iphone plugged in and turned off. So what i did was disconnect it, hold the on/off button, waited for the off sliding bar to appear, then plugged it back in. When the usb cord was plugged it, then i turned it off. So then i proceed with the redsnow instructions to hold the power for 3 secs, then hold power with the home for 10 secs, the just hold the home button for 30 secs. its said i failed to put it in dfu mode. Then the problem started. I couldn't even turn it on. Thats all i did. what did i do wrong?

did you try holding the power and home button together for 10 seconds? Do it now. That's how you hard power cycle the phone. power and home button for 10 seconds, either with the phone plugged in or not. Then hold down the home button and plug it in. Open iTunes and it should say it's in recovery mode.