Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ibooks is broken by the jailbreak.

Angry Ibooks is broken by the jailbreak.
    I have a couple of questions.. First my iphone 3g was on GM (Jailbroken with redsnow) and my itunes was updated to 9.2. I was never prompted to update to the official release and my itunes says I'm already on the official firmware. Why is that?? Second I installed ibooks (Finally) and it keeps prompting me to sign in to sync with other devices and no matter how many times I try the downloads hang and the loading bar never goes away. Any suggestions?

That happened to me. I restored with the official apple 4.0 release yesterday and iBooks worked. I then jailbroke with redsn0w_win_0.9.5b5-3 this morning and now all my books & pdf's are gone and I have the same problem as on 4.0gm candidate???

Same,
    Ran iOS4 GM, put on iBooks and could not complete a download, nor see the manually added epub books on my shelves or anything.

Downloaded release iOS4 in itunes. Installed it, iBooks works just fine. Jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9.5b5-3 and iBooks is back to non functioning state.

It must be that ibooks does a check when loading, it is a slow program, these checks must slow it.

Edit: Also noticed, the first time I launched iBooks after the JB, the books appeared briefly on the shelves. Then the wireless activity icon appeared and books disappeared.
    Last edited by JRazman; 2010-06-22 at 07:48 PM. Reason: More info added.

same.

seems to be the only real problem software for iOS4 after jailbreaking.

I'll be very interested in seeing if those using the new PwnageTool have this same problem as well.

it's lame because according to iTunes, the books are there. but they just don't show up. I'm sure a fix will be made. worst case, we have to jailbreak again, which is no big deal at all.
    Last edited by adrian1480; 2010-06-23 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    same.

seems to be the only real problem software for iOS4 after jailbreaking.

I'll be very interested in seeing if those using the new PwnageTool have this same problem as well.

it's lame because according to iTunes, the books are there. but they just don't show up. I'm sure a fix will be made. worst case, we have to jailbreak again, which is no big deal at all.
    no fix as of yet, dont rejailbreak....itll just be a waste of time. And yes this issue is happening with pwnage tool as well.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

this is a HUGE bummer. really hoping for a fix sooner than later. major functionality totally busted by jailbreak...

there is a fix: See Dev team blog. I think you need to run redsn)w again but dont reinstall cydia. Get the new redsn0w with the ibooks fix at their blog.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i used pwnagetool since i've got a 3gs... am i s.o.l. for now?

yeah for now there is no pwnage tool fix, but it should get fixed for pwnage tool as well sometime soon. Considering the jailbreak came out the same day as the ios4 release, i think waiting for an ibooks fix is ok.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nora47 View Post
    there is a fix: See Dev team blog. I think you need to run redsn)w again but dont reinstall cydia. Get the new redsn0w with the ibooks fix at their blog.
    So if your iPhone 3g is ALREADY jailbroken using the beta before, which broke iBooks, you just run the new beta and uncheck install cydia.... Do you keep multitasking, battery indicator etc checked?

I just want to clarify as I worry about it jailbreaking a device already jailbroken....

Hope someone can help

---
    EDIT: I have used the steps above, and it now works. However, on the iPhone 3g, I feel that iBooks is quite slow.... I'm going to stick to Stanza and Classics.
    Last edited by techydan; 2010-06-23 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Tried it out.

Quote Originally Posted by techydan View Post
    So if your iPhone 3g is ALREADY jailbroken using the beta before, which broke iBooks, you just run the new beta and uncheck install cydia.... Do you keep multitasking, battery indicator etc checked?

I just want to clarify as I worry about it jailbreaking a device already jailbroken....

Hope someone can help

---
    EDIT: I have used the steps above, and it now works. However, on the iPhone 3g, I feel that iBooks is quite slow.... I'm going to stick to Stanza and Classics.
    yes sorry i didnt reply in time, been sleeping...late night. But yeah my ibooks was a little slow for a while but its running decentely fast now, no doubt not nearly as good as on the iphone 4 though. Maybe i should overclock my 3g?

Quote Originally Posted by techydan View Post

Hope someone can help

---
    It has sped up slightly with use, I don't know if it is doing indexing or something for the search capability, but it seems a little more responsive over time.

Not exactly ideal, but I will use it for now until a 4 gen phone can be acquired.

i never thought i would actually use ibooks but im actually liking it. Considering removing multitask to see if ibooks run even smoother