Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do I upgrade already JB 3G 3.12 to 4.0?

Default How do I upgrade already JB 3G 3.12 to 4.0?
    I have a jailbroken 3G 3.12 using redsn0w, is it safe to upgrade directly to 4.0 using redsn0w 0.9.5b5-3? What are the correct steps?

EDIT:

After running iOS4 for a few weeks, I downgraded to 3.1.3 using this GUIDE. iOS4 is just too slow on the 3G. And on top of that, most of the jailbreak stuffs don't work. So I don't recommend anyone upgrading to iOS4 if they own a 3G.
    Last edited by bebopblues; 2010-07-08 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Update

I have upgraded to 4.0 from 3.1.2 last night, and I unlocked my phone too, using tmobile fine now. What I did was download the 4.0 FW, and updated it on my device. Then I ran redsn0w, and selected the same firmware, and it installed the jailbreak files etc..Device booted up and then I installed ultrasn0w from cydia, and everything works fine now.

I'm in a similar boat. I used Ra1n to jailbreak mine to 3.1.2 and now I'm looking for a way to upgrade to 4.0.

Quote Originally Posted by rrogan View Post
    I have upgraded to 4.0 from 3.1.2 last night, and I unlocked my phone too, using tmobile fine now. What I did was download the 4.0 FW, and updated it on my device. Then I ran redsn0w, and selected the same firmware, and it installed the jailbreak files etc..Device booted up and then I installed ultrasn0w from cydia, and everything works fine now.
    My real concern is whether I will lose all the jailbreak stuffs currently on my 3G 3.12. When you upgrade to the original 4.0, do you lose all the JB stuffs? If yes, then you jailbreak it again for 4.0, does it restore all the JB stuffs that you had before?

what firmware version did you guys use? I cannot get RedSn0w to recognize the firmware as being a legit firmware.

Hey guys, I'm in the same situation and I'd like see a short guide what to do too. As I understand it should be no problem to just update to iOS4 right now, then run redsn0w and install ultrasn0w, but I was wondering what steps should I take to make this transition as painless as possible, especially to keep all my apps intact.

I'm about to try this:

1. Backup all my 3G/3.12 Jailbreak stuffs with PKGBackup.
    2. Update to 4.0 with redsn0w if it works. If redsn0w 4.0 didn't work, then update to 4.0 through iTunes, then run redsn0w.
    3. Restore all Jailbreak stuffs with PKGBackup.

What you guys think?

Yes you will loose the JB stuff if you dont back it up. I think there's ways of doing that but I never really have, since it's easy enough to just reinstall it all. In order to use redsnow, you have to update to 4.0 first through itunes, and then run redsnow with the 4.0 FW. Take a look here,
    iClarified - Apple News - iPhone Dev-Team Releases iOS 4.0 Jailbreak for iPhone 3G, iPod touch 2G

@_JB, I just used the firmware that itunes downloaded for me. Make sure you have redsnow 0.9.5b5-3, I tired using 0.9.5b5-2 before and it wouldnt recognize it.

That is what I did for the firmware, but it still wont recognize it. Ugghh... I also have b5.3 version. What is your firmware titled? mine is iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore
    thanks for checking!

That's what mine is titled too. Maybe try downloading it from a different source online to see if that helps anything

Thanks

When upgrading from a lower firmware to a higher firmware, always perform a Restore and not Update in iTunes and always setup your iPhone 3G as a "New Phone". "Restoring from Backup..." does not work well with JB iPhones.

If you Update (Upgrade) on a jailbroken iPhone, it will cause you to lose about 500MB of space on your iPhone's USER partition. This is because it backs up files on your USER partition. This has been stated many times by BIGBOSS and others.

Using RedSn0w:

FYI: You need to have .NET Framework installed to use redsn0w on Windows.

1. Download Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-4 for Windows or Max OSX.
    2. Sync your iPhone in iTunes.
    3. Restore firmware iOS 4.0, so everything is clean in iTunes.
    4. Setup your iPhone 3G as a new phone.
    5. Sync your iPhone so it restores all your applications, songs, contacts, schedule, ringtones, photos, etc.
    6. Run RedSn0w 0.9.5b5-4 and jailbreak your iPhone
    7. Run Cydia and make sure you update "Essential Packages".

For unlock (Non-official carriers like T-Mobile USA)
    8. Install Ultrasn0w 0.93 in Cydia. Add source ultrasn0w.com
    9. Disable "Enable 3G" in Network Settings
    Last edited by reddawg; 2010-06-23 at 06:23 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

12. The Following User Says Thank You to reddawg For This Useful Post:

JarasM (2010-06-23)

Quote Originally Posted by reddawg View Post
    Hm. Why is that? Does the ultrasn0w unlock not work with 3G?

iPhone? More like MyPhone one_crazy_dude's Avatar
    Thanks

does winterboard work with 4.0 ?
    I Like Eletronics

Thanks
    Default Iphone 2G
    Anyway to get Ios4 to work on the iphone 2G
    Hard work spotlights the character of people; some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all!

There is no point of backing up all of your JB apps... because some of them will not work with iOS4, I would suggest to reinstall all the JB stuff again after you jailbroke with iOS4...

Quote Originally Posted by reddawg View Post
    When upgrading from a lower firmware to a higher firmware, always perform a Restore and not Update in iTunes and always setup your iPhone 3G as a "New Phone". "Restoring from Backup..." does not work well with JB iPhones.

If you Update (Upgrade) on a jailbroken iPhone, it will cause you to lose about 500MB of space on your iPhone's USER partition. This is because it backs up files on your USER partition. This has been stated many times by BIGBOSS and others.

Using RedSn0w:

FYI: You need to have .NET Framework installed to use redsn0w on Windows.

1. Download Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-4 for Windows or Max OSX.
    2. Sync your iPhone in iTunes.
    3. Restore firmware iOS 4.0, so everything is clean in iTunes.
    4. Setup your iPhone 3G as a new phone.
    5. Sync your iPhone so it restores all your applications, songs, contacts, schedule, ringtones, photos, etc.
    6. Run RedSn0w 0.9.5b5-4 and jailbreak your iPhone
    7. Run Cydia and make sure you update "Essential Packages".

For unlock (Non-official carriers like T-Mobile USA)
    8. Install Ultrasn0w 0.93 in Cydia. Add source ultrasn0w.com
    So....I have AT&T and tried to jailbreak with redsn0w and failed. I did not follow these great directions, tho - especially in regards to the update vs. restore and setting up the phone as a new phone, etc.

When it was all said and done, I had a JB phone, but no carrier. I just want to make sure that if I go thru the process above, I will still have a carrier signal from my crappy provider, at&t...

Can anyone please confirm?
    thanks!

It's not a big issue with me because I have a Mac and a PC, but Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-4 is not compatible with my G4 PowerPC. It's built for use on Intel Macs. Will the be a version of Redsn0w that will run on the older Macs?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garyh99 View Post
    It's not a big issue with me because I have a Mac and a PC, but Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-4 is not compatible with my G4 PowerPC. It's built for use on Intel Macs. Will the be a version of Redsn0w that will run on the older Macs?
    If you are still having problems jailbreaking with Redsn0w try using version 0.9.5b-1. This one worked for my 3g. I did the upgrade through Itunes first and downloaded the 4.0 GM version for it to point to.

Wessy

Thanks for the info, Wessy. I went ahead and did the JB on my pc. All went went well then did an unlock with ultrasn0w. Thanks go out to the Dev team and all their hard work. My 3g that had version 3.13 and firmware 05.12.01 is now jailbroken and unlocked.

I'm confused, please don't flame me.
    I have an iphone 3gs that came with 3.1 My phone is currently running 3.1.2 unlocked and jailbroken, Cydia has 3.1,3.1.2,3.1.3 SHSHs on file.

Do I goto itunes and update my software to 4.0? I thought this will update my baseband and make it impossible to unlock it?

Or is there a way to update to 4.0 while keeping my current baseband?

I have a pc not a mac.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast