Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do I upgrade already JB 3G 3.12 to 4.0?

Will this work on iPhone 3GS?

The latest ipsw you can use on redsn0w is called "iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw". You can google it to find it.
    HoshiGOLean

no exploit discovered for the 3gs yet, this only works on the 3g for now.

OK. So if I am running 3.1.2 on a jailbroken 3g, I have to do a RESTORE using the custom "iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw" fw correct? DO I do this through itunes or redsnow?

i am new to the iphone jail breaking can anyone help?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tre_s View Post
    So....I have AT&T and tried to jailbreak with redsn0w and failed. I did not follow these great directions, tho - especially in regards to the update vs. restore and setting up the phone as a new phone, etc.

When it was all said and done, I had a JB phone, but no carrier. I just want to make sure that if I go thru the process above, I will still have a carrier signal from my crappy provider, at&t...

Can anyone please confirm?
    thanks!
    Yes, it should work fine. I didn't mention this above, but since you are using an official carrier (AT&T), you will need to activate your iPhone through iTunes before jailbreaking it with Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-4. Redsn0w will see that your iPhone is already activated and will not try to hacktivate it. This will fix your carrier problem.

1. Download Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-4 for Windows or Max OSX.
    2. Sync your iPhone in iTunes.
    3. Restore firmware iOS 4.0, so everything is clean in iTunes.
    4. After the firmware has been updated on your iPhone. Launch iTunes 9.2 and activate your iPhone. Setup your iPhone 3G as a new phone.
    5. Sync your iPhone so it restores all your applications, songs, contacts, schedule, ringtones, photos, etc.
    6. Run RedSn0w 0.9.5b5-4 and jailbreak your iPhone
    7. Run Cydia and make sure you update "Essential Packages".

FYI: Hacktivate means being able to activate your iPhone with an unofficial sim card, bypassing iTunes.
    Last edited by reddawg; 2010-06-27 at 02:08 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

thanks reddawg. I mostly went with your instructions and got my 3G successfully jailbroken.

Here are my steps:

1. Backup my JB with PKGBackup, then sync with iTunes.
    2. Login a new user account, open iTunes, tell it to download iOS4 and did a factory restore of the iPhone. This will update it to a clean iOS4.
    3. Go back to my user account, open iTunes, and sync all the info back to the iPhone (contacts, messages, pictures, music, etc.)
    4. run redsn0w and do the JB.
    5. after Jb is successful, I installed PKGBackup, and restore all the JB apps.

That's it. Not all the JB apps/hacks will work. I had to uninstall Winterboard. SBsettings seem to be working. I still haven't figure out how to get tethering to work again, actually forgot how I did it before and not sure the same steps will work. Lots of apps will crash springboard and you will get stuck in the "Exit Safety Mode" error. Just undo whatever JB app/hack you just did and most likely springboard will function normally again.

Is there a list of compatible apps for iOS4 somewhere?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i had my 3G 3.1.2 JB by redsn0w

now i used to JB flawless these 2 files 1)redsn0w 2)4.0 ipsw in the winrar folder

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

my steps was:

1.Synced my iphone via iTunes 9.2
    2.Updated via iTunes to 4.0 (it does backingup itself)
    3.Run redsnow i posted here and pointed ipsw posted here, just followed instructions of redsn0w and JB DONE
    4.iphone reboots and itunes restores all the apps etc

important: you should run redsn0w as administrator and apply compatibility mode to operating system which ur computer runs. mine Win7 so i choosed Win Vista mode

thats all.

noticed BossPref crashes and my Need4Speed Shift app did not restore

btw i dont know why all of you trying after JB done to install Ultrasnow in Cydia. i used to JB an 3G of my friend some time ago and occasionally i did install ultrasnow and phone's wifi,edge connection lost !!! i removed it and again all was OK

so the only important thing i do when iphone is jailbroken :
    1) Go to Cydia - Manage->Souces->Edit->Add: cydia.hackulo.us (leave http://).
    Accept warning "Add Anyway"
    2) Press Done. Then you should see Hackulo.us, enter it and choose AppSync for OS 4.0
    After that Install->Confirm->Return to Cydia.

thats all!
    Last edited by mzslave; 2010-06-28 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I tried the same but I'm stuck cuz redsn0w not recognizing the specified IPSW file and its right there!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    u tried mine file?
    i had 1 ipsw found on redsnow web but it wasnt reconed, then i googled and found this one ive uploaded here and redsnow accepted it without any probs

After running iOS4 for a few weeks, I reverted back to 3.1.3. iOS4 is just too slow on the 3G. And on top of that, most of the jailbreak stuffs don't work. So I don't recommend anyone upgrading to iOS4 if they own a 3G.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    bullocks. get baCK TO os4 but do not enable multi&wall and you will njoy again ur phone.

btw i have enabled both multi&wall and cant complaint it is sluggish. tho some app indeed not supported yet but its a matter of time and those apps not so essential

Overall, I do not like iOS4 that much. I like the way categories and backgrounder/proswitcher worked. So overall, I see no benefit in iOS4 besides the global inbox. Most of the other features were already possible with 3.1.x jailbreak.

I'll wait a little longer for the jailbreak community to catch up with iOS4 in terms of compatibility, then I'll upgrade again.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    ok ;]

i'm looking forward to upgrade my iphone to 4

Yea I tried Redsn0w with my ipt2G 3.1.2 fw but didn't finish as I kept getting stuck on "wait ting for reboot" everytime, even when I waited to see if something happened with my screen, nothing. (so close > . < ) I did this running windows version.

Model PC*****
    version 3.1.2
    ipt2G

I have also tried Sn0wbreeze firmwares but to no avail as I kept getting error "1604" and sometimes "1601" restoring in iTunes, Suggestions for this fix, otherwise, when my Spirit 4.0 coming out, anxious for 4.0+ updates. I kno apple is waiting for u 2 release it so they can patch it, but I am anxious...very anxious

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12