Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unable to recognize specified IPSW

Same Issue Here 3GS using Sn0w 0.9.5b5-4

iPhone? More like MyPhone sgt.pepper's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah same for me except im on an ipt 2g mb model. tried the update in my itunes the one i downloaded, i found it using redsn0w, and it said it was the wrong one for my device even though itunes recognized my itouch and downloaded that firmware. help appreciatd

HIT THANKS IF I HELPED!

13 recovery mode restores
    7 dfu mode restores
    2 custom firmware restores

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yea I just learned of the new 0.9.5 5 beta and was preparing to rejailbreak from 0.9.3, but it says the IPSW isn't recognized

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Fix
    i know im a tad late but this is the fix to that problem

Earlier we posted a tutorial on how to jailbreak iOS 4 on iPhone 3G with Redsn0w 0.9.5. While the tutorial seems to work just fine, a couple of users have reported to have encountered an error.

The error, which says “Unable to recognize specified IPSW” keeps popping up whenever a user tries to browse the iOS 4 firmware file from Redsn0w 0.9.5.

There are two solutions to fix this error. Number 1 is to make sure that the right build of Redsn0w is being used, which in thise case should be Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-4. Download Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-4 for Mac or Windows

Number 2 is to make sure that the right build of the iOS 4 firmware file is being used for iPhone 3G. There may be a confusion here since both the Goldmaster (GM build) and Final release use the same build number so filename for both builds would be the same i.e. iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw but Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-4 would only be able to verify the Final release of iOS 4 firmware so make sure to download it from a verified and trustworthy source. Here we have verified iOS 4 firmware file download links for all devices.

That’s it! all it takes is a bit of research and common sense. Good luck!

This is from Sizlopedia.

Wow, doesn't anyone even read anymore? :(

redsn0w 0.9.5 BETA [iPhone Dev Team]

There is no redsn0w jailbreak for 3GS or iPT 3rd Gen. Look at "devices supported" at the link above.

To the OP: why are you using an outdated version of redsn0w? Have you tried the latest version available from download from the link I posted? And make absolutely certain you are pointing to the ipsw that you installed with iTunes. It's located here on your computer:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

Replace username with your Windows user name.

I was getting the same error but I was using a 3gs firmware, doh I am retarded. What can I say, I am a guy and I never read directions or maps.

Default worked for me iphone 2G 3.1.3 windows 7
    hi!
    I had the same situation on my iphone 2G 3.1.3. After downloading file iPhone1,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw
    and after restoring with itunes succesfully to this I run redsn0w but the file was not recognized.
    I donwloaded the older version 3.1.2 for 2G and at this point insted if using 3.1.3 with redsn0w I used teh older 3.1.2 and it was recognized. following the process it worked fine for me.
    so you have to download both 3.1.2 for 2G and 3.1.3 for 2G
    use 3.1.3 to upgrade through itunes.
    use 3.1.2 when running redsn0w.

instructions and files can be downloaded here:

iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your iPhone 2G on OS 3.1.3 Using RedSn0w (Windows)
    iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From

I hope will be helpful for someone in the same situation.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to albtech For This Useful Post:

LokoTripper (2010-11-19)

Just use snowbreeze, its another cool Custom firmware jailbreak.
    Had same problem.

iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones
    iLike iDevices and Pancakes.

Quote Originally Posted by albtech View Post
    hi!
    I had the same situation on my iphone 2G 3.1.3. After downloading file iPhone1,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw
    and after restoring with itunes succesfully to this I run redsn0w but the file was not recognized.
    I donwloaded the older version 3.1.2 for 2G and at this point insted if using 3.1.3 with redsn0w I used teh older 3.1.2 and it was recognized. following the process it worked fine for me.
    so you have to download both 3.1.2 for 2G and 3.1.3 for 2G
    use 3.1.3 to upgrade through itunes.
    use 3.1.2 when running redsn0w.

instructions and files can be downloaded here:

iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your iPhone 2G on OS 3.1.3 Using RedSn0w (Windows)
    iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From

I hope will be helpful for someone in the same situation.
    Dude . . . you freakin Rock !! I was about to throw my 2G iphone to the wall , thank YOu

Same thing happened to me. I just got the newer version of RedSn0w and it worked. Except for 4.1 MC's

I had the same problem last week and i google Unable to recognize specified IPSW and i researched many of the methods written on the blogs but didn't work. Al last i found this method, it worked for me atleast. Click Here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12