Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: having problems jail braking a 3gs 3.1.2

Default having problems jail braking a 3gs 3.1.2
    hi!! im having problems jail braking a 3gs 3.1.2. using red snow 0.9.4 and firmware 3.1.2. i get a black screen at the end, i waited 5min and nothing. do i need to upgrade to 3.1.3 via itunes?

thanks

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Uh no don't upgrade to 3.1.3 with iTunes if you need an unlock. If you don't need an unlock then you can do that and use Spirit to jailbreak. Since you're on 3.1.2 use Blackra1n. You will have to restore again if Blackra1n doesn't work on it (assuming you ran Redsn0w on it and chances are, running a jailbreak over another jailbreak doesn't work).

There are a lot of factors to your case you have to consider. If your bootrom is the newest one, you'll have a tethered jailbreak. You can avoid that by creating a custom firmware with Sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool (mac) and restore to it. Then running Spirit on it, although you will need it to be activated to make Spirit work (actually I am a bit unclear about this part right here lol, not sure if you'll need Spirit after Sn0wbreeze).

If you don't mind the tethered jailbreak, you need SHSH files for 3.1.2 to restore to 3.1.2 so you can use Blackra1n/Blacksn0w to jailbreak/unlock.

-.- A lot of info, a lot of factors, don't even know where to begin to tell you. Your question is really general...once in depth though with your firmware, your baseband, your bootrom, your SHSH files (or lack thereof in some cases), somebody will be able to tell you what you can do.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-05-31 at 06:56 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

If you can restore to 3.1.2 original firmware in iTunes run blackra1n afterwards. You have to have the 3.1.2 shsh on file in Cydia and direct the iTunes host file to Saurik's server(google it). As Annie said: Do not update to 3.1.3 if you need an unlock. If you don't need the unlock then update to 3.1.3 in iTunes, let it activate the phone, then run Spirit on it. If you are a windows user be sure to set the compatibility mode to Windows 98 before you run Spirit(right click Spirit and then choose compatibility).

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

He can also avoid tethered simply by using Spirit on 3.1.2 - I don't see a reason to use blackra1n on any 3GS anymore.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Right but Spirit requires activated phone, no?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Right but Spirit requires activated phone, no?
    Right. I'd just prefer borrowing a sim instead of having to have a tethered jailbreak.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Ok just checking. Some people dont know that Spirit requires activation, thats why.