Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS MC135LL with 3.1.2 (7(D)11 / iTunes 9.1.0.79 / redsn0w 0.9.4

Default 3GS MC135LL with 3.1.2 (7(D)11 / iTunes 9.1.0.79 / redsn0w 0.9.4
    Attempting to jailbreak but the first thing redsn0w asks is:

"Please select the corresponding IPSW for your CURRENT firmware"

I can't find any IPSW files. Figured a restore through iTunes might up load these files but even selecting restore (not upgrade) the only choice is the dreaded 3.1.3. I'm stuck. What next??

My primary objective is to have the iPhone function as a broadband modem with a WiFi link to my laptop.

Thanks in Advance,
    RVC

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You need to download the .ipsw file. You can do that here: iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

Ridgeinala (2010-04-13)

Default Thanks! - but now nothing workss
    Dhamien, thanks for you help - the link you provided was much faster than the one I had been trying to use.

I downloaded the correct IPSW, placed it in a subfolder witn the iTunes folder. Then I fired redsn0w up again, pointed it to the IPSW file and things seemed to go fine. Clicked on the "finish" button in redsn0w and it closed and the iPhone went to the to the USB-->iTunes screen and it stays there. Tried rebooting/resetting the iPhone and it just goes the the USB-->iTunes screen and stays there.

iTunes recognizes the is in the "recovery mode" and says it must be restored. Restore says it will install the newest (3.1.3 ??) software version. I have not gone any further fearing it will install 3.1.3 and I will not be able to go back to 3.1.2.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
    RVC

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Have you tried running redsn0w again and selecting the 'just boot tethered right now' option? It sounds like you've got a tethered boot, meaning you'll need to run redsn0w whenever you want to boot the phone.

This is due to the bootrom having been fixed by Apple and there's currently no way around this, other than booting while connected to the computer.