Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Guide to Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 3.1.2 Firmware on Windows

Default Guide to Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 3.1.2 Firmware on Windows (FIX CARRIER LOGO ISS)
    PwnageTool 3.1.4 has been released and is for Mac OS X users only. The following step-by-step tutorial/guide will help you in running fully unlocked and jailbroken iPhone 2G,3G and 3GS with iPhone firmware 3.1.2 using your Windows PC without having to wait for Windows version of PwnageTool or redsn0w.

Step 1: Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes.

Step 2: Now connect your iPhone with your PC. You must connect it to a single usb port on the backside of your computer. Do not use any usb hub or the ports in the front as this could result in an error during update process.

Step 3: Start iTunes. Sync your iPhone with your PC so that iTunes backs-up all your important data including settings, apps, music, contacts and photos.

Step 4: As a Windows user, you will have to now download a custom firmware for your iPhone which has been cooked on a Mac using PwnageTool 3.1.4.Make sure that if you want to unlock your iphone you download a custom firmware 3.1.2 that does not require you to activate the iphone with the official sim card (ie the person who has made the custom firmware 3.1 on a mac should have checked the activate option on the pwnage tool 3.1.4 so that it does not ask you to do the same later which would be difficult if you dont have the official sim card like AT&T,Rogers,etc.People who are using the official sim card can download any 3.1 CFW as they dont need to unlock their iphone.

WHERE TO GET CUSTOM 3.1.2 FIRWARES FOR iPHONES & iTOUCH

Google it.

Step 5: Once you have downloaded the required .ipsw file, Move it into the following location depending on which version of Windows you are using:

“C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates\” (Windows 7)

“C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates\” (Windows Vista)

“C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Update\” (Windows XP)

Note: Make sure you have enabled “Show Hidden Files and Folders” option in Tools->Folder Options.. –> View tab found in Windows Explorer to see the directory locations mentioned above.

Step 6: Restart iTunes. You will now be prompted to install the new firmware 3.1.2 from iTunes. DO NOT UPDATE from this prompt. Just close this dialog by clicking on “x” from the top right-most corner of the window.

Step 7: Now you will have to restore your iPhone to this custom firmware 3.1.2 that you have just downloaded for your iPhone. Click on your phone from the sidebar in iTunes to get to this screen.

Step 8: Press and hold left “Shift” button on the keyboard and then click on “Restore” (Not “Update” or “Check for Update”) button in the iTunes and then release the “Shift” button.

This will make iTunes prompt you to select the location for your downloaded custom firmware 3.1.2. Select that custom .ipsw file and click on “Open”.

Step 9: Now sit back and enjoy as iTunes does the rest for you. This will involve a series of automated steps. Be patient at this stage and don’t do anything silly. Just wait while iTunes installs the new firmware 3.1.2 on your iPhone. Your iPhone screen at this point will be showing a progress bar indicating installation progress. After the installation is done, iPhone will restart automatically and you should now have a fully jailbroken iPhone running on firmware 3.1.2.

How to: Unlock iPhone on 3.1.2 Firmware:
    You can now follow the tutorial/guide posted here to unlock your iPhone 3GS or iPhone 3G on firmware 3.1.2 using ultrasn0w.

Step 10: Once you are done with the unlocking and jailbreak process. You can now restore all your settings, apps, music, contacts and photos to the newly installed firmware version 3.1.2 by restoring the backup that you made in Step 2 from iTunes.

Feel free to ask me any question here should you run into any problem during the update process.

Disclaimer: This guide is for testing & educational purposes only. Follow it on your own risk. I’m not responsible for any loss of important data or malfunctioning of your iPhone.

__________________________________________________ ______________

UNLOCKING

The following step-by-step tutorial/guide will help you unlock your iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS with the latest iPhone 3.1.2 firmware using ultrasn0w. This unlocking guide applies to iPhone 3G and 3GS only. iPhone 2G users can simply follow the guide I posted here to jailbreak and unlock with firmware 3.1.2.

Note: This unlocking guide will work for you only if your Modem Firmware (Baseband) version is 04.26.08. If you have upgraded directly to iPhone 3.1.2 stock firmware from iTunes then you are pretty much out of luck for now.

Step 1: Download and install the latest version of iTunes if you haven’t already.

How to: Jailbreak iPhone on 3.1.2:
    Step 2: Follow the guide here to jailbreak your iPhone 3G or 3GS using PwnageTool on firmware 3.1.2.

Step 3: Once you are done with the jailbreak, you can now unlock your iPhone running jailbroken firmware 3.1.2 by using ultrasn0w 0.9. To do this:

Note: T-Mobile users should disable 3G before installing ultrasn0w.

*Start “Cydia” on your iPhone.
    *Touch on “Manage” tab on the bottom.
    *Now touch on “Sources”.

Touch on “Edit” and then on “Add”. You will be prompted to enter a url source as seen in the screenshot below. Type “http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com” and touch on “Add Source”.

Cydia will now automatically update your sources by following a series of automated steps.

After installation is completed. Search for “ultrasn0w” in Cydia and install this application. This app will automatically unlock your iPhone so that you can use it with any carrier.

Step 4: Now simply restart your iPhone. Voila! You are now running a fully unlocked and jailbroken iPhone firmware 3.1.2 on your iPhone 3G or 3GS.

Feel free to ask me any questions here should you run into any problems when unlocking your iPhone.

ENJOY!

-SCREAMANKIT.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

DOWNGRADE YOUR BASEBAND FROM 05.11.07 TO 04.26.08

NOTE: Downgrading the baseband method explained below will only work on iphones that have the 05.08 (5.8) Bootloader installed from the factory as FUZZYBAND does not support 5.9 and higher as of now. (5.9) and above please dont try this as you will only be able to jailbreak but wont be able to unlock if required.

SCREAMANKIT-

I have received complaints in comments here regarding problems when unlocking iPhone running firmware 3.1.2 with ultrasn0w. iPhone users who have upgraded to 3.1.2 stock from iTunes will get this problem because of the 05.11.07 baseband, which makes it impossible to unlock it with ultrasn0w. The current version of ultrasn0w can only unlock iPhone on firmware 3.1.2 with older baseband version i.e. 04.26.08. Fortunately, there is a way to downgrade your baseband to 04.26.08 on your iPhone 3G so that you can unlock it with ultrasn0w on firmware 3.1.2 Here’s how you do it:

Step 1: To downgrade your baseband from 05.11.07 to 04.26.08, you must first jailbreak your iPhone running firmware 3.1.2 by following the step-by-step guide posted above.

Step 2: After you have jailbroken your iPhone, Go to “Cydia” on your iPhone and Search for “Fuzzyband” and then install this application.

Step 3: Start “Fuzzyband” app and touch on “Downgrade” button to downgrade your Baseband from 05.11.07 to 04.26.08.

Step 4: You should now be able to perfectly unlock your iPhone using the latest version of ultrasn0w by following the step-by-step guide posted here.

NOTE: Downgrading of baseband will only work on phones that have the 05.08 (5.8) Bootloader from the factory. If you do not know your bootloader then you can run Fuzzyband and it will report the version number for you.

Feel free to ask me any questions here should you run into any problems when downgrading baseband on your iPhone.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Fix 16xx and 21 Error during iPhone 3.1 Restore in iTunes

When trying to restore your iPhone or iPod touch in iTunes with iPhone 3.1 firmware, you may see the following message followed by an error code 1601, 1602, 16xx or 21:

"The iPhone "[your iPhone]" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred."

To get around this problem, iH8Sn0w has released a handy little tool called iREB (iTunes Restore Error Bypasser) for both Windows and Macs which can help bring your iPhone back to life. The latest version of this program supports iPhone 3.1 firmware running on the original iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPod touch 1G.

Step 1: Start iTunes and put your phone into DFU mode:

Press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time. After exactly 10 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until you iTunes pops up a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. At this point your iPhone/iPod touch screen will remain black.

Step 2: Now close iTunes and Start iREB on Windows or Mac.

Step 3: Simply select your device and wait for a few seconds until you get white or a red screen on your iPhone.

Step 4: Now open iTunes and click on your phone from the sidebar in iTunes.

Now press and hold left “alt” button (“Shift” button on Windows) on the keyboard and then click on “Restore” (Not “Update”) button in the iTunes and then release the “Shift” button. Select a custom .ipsw file and restore it. Hopefully you wont get any errors this time around!

One thing to note here is that iREB is not for jailbreaking. It is only used for restoring to custom .ipsw firmware files via iTunes without any errors.

iREB DOWNLOAD- GOOGLE iREB AND UNDER THE THIRD OPTION FROM THE SEARCH LIST WHICH IS HINT- xSELLIZE SELECT THE FIRST OPTION THAT IS iREB 3.1.2: Available for Download‎ - 18 Oct 2009 FROM HERE YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE.

__________________________________________________ _________

CARRIER LOGO FIXER FOR ALL iPHONE 3.1.2 JAILBREAKERS (THE REAL DEAL UNLIKE THE MAKE IT MINE APP COSMETIC CHANGE)

A proper app for fixing the missing carrier logo problem in jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3G/3GS running 3.1.2+ firmware has been released in BigBoss & Planet-iPhones repository on Cydia.

For firmware 3.1+, will display your carrier logo if it’s not shown, will not work properly if you are using an unknown carrier.

In order to install this app, go to “Cydia” on your unlocked and jailbroken iPhone 3.1.2, search for “Carrier Logo Fixer” app and install this app. Make sure that you have “BigBoss & Planet-iPhones” repository added in Cydia before you make your search for this app.

Once you have installed the app, restart your SpringBoard.

Voila! You should now have your carrier logo back in place on a jailbroken and unlock iPhone 3G/3GS running on firmware 3.1.2.

NOTE: This app may not work properly for you if your carrier is unknown or is on an unsupported list for this app.

-SCREAMANKIT.

Regards,
    SCREAMANKIT.
    Last edited by Broomhead; 2009-11-01 at 02:33 AM. Reason: UPDATE -SOLUTION TO FIX CARRIER LOGO ISSUE

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-15), bpsturbo (2009-10-17), fishnride (2009-10-30), karabaja (2009-10-13), proudestmunkie (2009-11-06), Rsd1Day (2009-10-29), ruqchex (2009-10-26), SirRafy (2009-10-18), Torquewrench (2010-02-05), zero_tomm (2009-11-16)

i did what you said and i have another problem...when it says preparing iphone for restore...it lasts forever...and in the end it says iphone cannot restore...usually error 1600...i dont know is it becouse of my firmware becouse it was very hard to find it :S
    help please i need my iphone fasttt

I followed all steps as provided. I only needed to jailbreak. Everything seemed to work fine. My backup is trying to restore. However, I do not have Cydia installed. My software version shows as 3.1.2 and I have a 3g.

Thanks

Steps worked great. I now have a jailbroken 3G on AT&T with 3.1.2 installed. Too bad pwnage update to fix carrier logo wasn't ready for the 3.1.2 builds.

I did have an issue installing SBSettings from Cydia. Got the spinning-wheel-of-death at the respring after SBSettings install. Fortunately, I had already installed OpenSSH, so I got in and issued reboot cmd. All was ok after rebooting. Come to think of it, I also had an issue with Cydia crashing after SBSettings install during 3.1 jailbreak....
    Last edited by jcarroll; 2009-10-13 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I followed the steps above: I'm on 3gs, originally JB'd with redsnow. My firmware appears to have been upgraded to 3.1.2 but Cydia is missing!

Maybe it's the custom ipsw I downloaded from the web; how do I get Cydia back on this phone? I guess I don't even know if it's truly JB'd at this point without Cydia, but again I did follow the directions above and it appeared to work correctly. I do still have the carrier logo (AT&T) and phone service--I know others have complained about those items, but no issues there for me. Help me get Cydia, thanks!

edit: I did not follow the unlock directions (as I am on AT&T), only the JB instructions. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by karabaja View Post
    i did what you said and i have another problem...when it says preparing iphone for restore...it lasts forever...and in the end it says iphone cannot restore...usually error 1600...i dont know is it becouse of my firmware becouse it was very hard to find it :S
    Downloading an improper custom firmware might cause an error.
    If it is possible try downloading again from a more reliable source and repeat the procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Brigette View Post
    I followed all steps as provided. I only needed to jailbreak. Everything seemed to work fine. My backup is trying to restore. However, I do not have Cydia installed. My software version shows as 3.1.2 and I have a 3g.
    Maybe the custom firmware file that you downloaded does not have Cydia as the person who made it may not have selected the cydia option in pwnage tool.
    Last edited by screamankit; 2009-10-14 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. The Following User Says Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-15)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

Here's a tutorial

SHIFT + RESTORE with a Mac made custom ISPW for your device, there's links everywhere just search, its that simple
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

Thanks. I'm going to try again when I get to the office. I goggle'd the firmware and have found so many posted. How do I know which one is the right one?

screamankit thanks for reply...but i am kind of noob in these thing so i didn't understood that my baseband was upgraded...and i need unlock...so i am in a biggg trouble now...
    any1 now anything about unlocker for new baseband...or maybe baseband downgrader?

Quote Originally Posted by thinking1 View Post
    I followed the steps above: I'm on 3gs, originally JB'd with redsnow. My firmware appears to have been upgraded to 3.1.2 but Cydia is missing!

Maybe it's the custom ipsw I downloaded from the web; how do I get Cydia back on this phone? I guess I don't even know if it's truly JB'd at this point without Cydia, but again I did follow the directions above and it appeared to work correctly. I do still have the carrier logo (AT&T) and phone service--I know others have complained about those items, but no issues there for me. Help me get Cydia, thanks!

edit: I did not follow the unlock directions (as I am on AT&T), only the JB instructions. Maybe that has something to do with it?
    I think you guys have accidentally downloaded the official 3.1.2 firmware by apple.please check if your baseband is 4.x.x or 5.x.x if its 5.x.x its the official update.

It wont be a problem for you thinking1 as you are using the official sim card you dont require an unlock but still you need to get a custom 3.1.2 firmware to jailbreak as I feel you havent becoz of the original 3.1.2 file.

karabaja check the baseband and let me know as you need the unlock.

-SCREAMANKIT.

screamankit thanks for reply...but i am kind of noob in these thing so i didn't understood that my baseband was upgraded...and i need unlock...so i am in a biggg trouble now...
    any1 now anything about unlocker for new baseband...or maybe baseband downgrader?
    I have updated the guide with the method to downgrade the baseband...I hope it helps just check if you have bootloader 5.8 with fuzzyband...if yes everything will be fine.

-SCREAMANKIT.
    Last edited by screamankit; 2009-10-14 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-15), karabaja (2009-10-14)

Quote Originally Posted by screamankit View Post
    I think you guys have accidentally downloaded the official 3.1.2 firmware by apple.please check if your baseband is 4.x.x or 5.x.x if its 5.x.x its the official update.

It wont be a problem for you thinking1 as you are using the official sim card you dont require an unlock but still you need to get a custom 3.1.2 firmware to jailbreak as I feel you havent becoz of the original 3.1.2 file.

karabaja check the baseband and let me know as you need the unlock.

-SCREAMANKIT.

I have updated the guide with the method to downgrade the baseband...I hope it helps just check if you have bootloader 5.8 with fuzzyband...if yes everything will be fine.

-SCREAMANKIT.
    you are right,i accidentaly upgraded it...and i cannot access my iphone...i mean i cannot check my baseband...i mean i think so...and the biggest problem is that i need to go to trip on friday and i need my iphone and just to repeat...i am noob for these things

I know custom firmwares are all over the place, but how do I know which one is the 3.1.2 one I need? I've tried a few and when I did shift+restore and selected the firmware I thought was the "one", the phone when through its stages then an error message popped up saying it wasn't compatible. So confused..................... I just wish Blackra1n would work for me. Tried several suggestions re making that one work too. No luck. 3rd day of trying.

I know custom firmwares are all over the place, but how do I know which one is the 3.1.2 one I need? I've tried a few and when I did shift+restore and selected the firmware I thought was the "one", the phone when through its stages then an error message popped up saying it wasn't compatible. So confused..................... I just wish Blackra1n would work for me. Tried several suggestions re making that one work too. No luck. 3rd day of trying.
    Hey brigette babes dont worry...go to this site...google up fsmdotcom exactly as I have mentioned select the first search...now after the entire page has loaded go to the bottom of the page and select older entries and then select the topic which says... Custom 3.1.2 Firmware For iPhone 2G/3G/3Gs and iTouch 1G/2G...it will also show you the red sign of PWNED! you'll find your treasure in there...I got mine from here and its perfect.
    ENJOY & DONT WORRY.

-SCREAMANKIT.

you are right,i accidentaly upgraded it...and i cannot access my iphone...i mean i cannot check my baseband...i mean i think so...and the biggest problem is that i need to go to trip on friday and i need my iphone and just to repeat...i am noob for these things
    dude after reading your situation if I am not wrong does your iPhone ask you to insert the official sim? and it does not allow you to access any features?

lemme know.

-SCREAMANKIT
    Last edited by screamankit; 2009-10-15 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-15), karabaja (2009-10-15), xxbenbenxx (2010-07-09)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Thank you
    Hi screamankit i am a huge fan of yours as today because of you I have an up to date iphone running JB 3.1.2 with ultrasnow.Infact after reading your post i even registered my account with an user id which would resemble you $cream.thanks a lot looking forward to more great stuff from you.

brilliant way to post on how get the 3.1.2 cust firmware without posting the link as per the rules lol.

-$CREAM (jus trying to copy you lol)

Quote Originally Posted by screamankit View Post
    Hey brigette babes dont worry...go to this site...google up fsmdotcom exactly as I have mentioned select the first search...now after the entire page has loaded go to the bottom of the page and select older entries and then select the topic which says... Custom 3.1.2 Firmware For iPhone 2G/3G/3Gs and iTouch 1G/2G...it will also show you the red sign of PWNED! you'll find your treasure in there...I got mine from here and its perfect.
    ENJOY & DONT WORRY.

-SCREAMANKIT.

dude after reading your situation if I am not wrong does your iPhone ask you to insert the official sim? and it does not allow you to access any features?

lemme know.

-SCREAMANKIT
    to explain everything
    i am from bosnia and i have bosnian sim...i have iphone 3g 16 gb
    and i accedently upgraded it...i used redsnow to unlock it before...but now i am in trouble becouse i cannot use any other tools to unlock it,and yes,you are right,it is asking for official sim...and i cannot acces any features (emergency calls only) but today i gave my iphone to my friend and he somehow jb it so i can use app,but i cannot make calls or use anything from my sim card...
    that isn't so bad becouse i can use my app,ipod and so...and use other phone for calls...but if u know some safe way to unlock it completly let me know...anyway thank you a loooot for responds..i am very grateful

Thanks Screamankit for your reply.

Just to be sure I understand correctly, I have an AT&T (purchased directly from them) so I'll use an UNACTIVATED firmware?

I tried it but got an error message.

Hi guys,

I've just upgraded using the method from a jb 3.0 but i've lost all of the apps/**********/ etc that I had downloaded before. Is there a way to get them back!?

I did back it up as all my messages/contacts are up to date

cheers

rob

I just did the upgrade and everything went fine except one thing. I have no cell service now. It doesn't even know my phone number. When I go into settings and then phone, my number shows as "Unknown"

Did it erase my SIM card?

EDIT: Nevermind. I got it working. I just didn't do the unlock. Didn't think it was necessary. I ran ultrasn0w and now everything is copacetic. Thanks for the great tutorial!
    Last edited by abrrymnvette; 2009-10-16 at 06:31 AM.

to explain everything
    i am from bosnia and i have bosnian sim...i have iphone 3g 16 gb
    and i accedently upgraded it...i used redsnow to unlock it before...but now i am in trouble becouse i cannot use any other tools to unlock it,and yes,you are right,it is asking for official sim...and i cannot acces any features (emergency calls only) but today i gave my iphone to my friend and he somehow jb it so i can use app,but i cannot make calls or use anything from my sim card...
    that isn't so bad becouse i can use my app,ipod and so...and use other phone for calls...but if u know some safe way to unlock it completly let me know...anyway thank you a loooot for responds..i am very grateful
    ur welcome karabaja... now since ur able to access phone features did you check your baseband cause if its 4.x.x you can install ultrasn0w and get it unlocked and if its 5.x.x you can even try to downgrade the baseband by using fuzzyband ie if you have bootloader 5.8 or lower which will allow you to unlock.

-SCREAMANKIT.

Thanks Screamankit for your reply.

Just to be sure I understand correctly, I have an AT&T (purchased directly from them) so I'll use an UNACTIVATED firmware?

I tried it but got an error message.
    Did you get the 16xx error.

solution:-

1.make sure you are not doing the CFW restore with the iphone in DFU mode coz that will trigger these errors.try doing it with your phone in normal working condition.I would recommend you to do it without any sim card inserted.Try using your main usb port which is usually at the back to avoid these errors.

If the above step does not work then try the second option.

2.if you want you can even try the ACTIVATED one as is wont affect you in any ways.

-SCREAMANKIT.
    Last edited by screamankit; 2009-10-16 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

24. The Following User Says Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-24)

yes,i can access,and i checked it...and i have 5.9 bootloader so fuzzyband cannot access it
    so i'll have to wait for some1 to unlock it?
    btw my friend downgraded it to 3.1

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast