Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Guide to Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 3.1.2 Firmware on Windows

Screamankit, I would really appreciate your help...After step 8 in your guide I get an error message from iTunes saying "The iPhone " " could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible." I've read thru many many pages trying to find a solution, but haven't seen anything that helps yet. I have a 3gs with 3.0(7A341) and the 4.26.08 baseband...I'm using a laptop computer running Windows 7 RC. iTunes is the latest version. I got the custom firmware as mentioned above for unactivated phone since the other activated one was corrupt after I uncompressed the files. I have an ATT sim but want to unlock for travels in the future... I've also tried to restore to a 3.0 firmware, and got the same error. I tried messing with the "host" file and adding an IP address to see if that would do it but no. It seems iTunes would only be happy, lol, if I upgrade to the legit 3.1.2 fw ... Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigui4980 View Post
    Screamankit, I would really appreciate your help...After step 8 in your guide I get an error message from iTunes saying "The iPhone " " could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible." I've read thru many many pages trying to find a solution, but haven't seen anything that helps yet. I have a 3gs with 3.0(7A341) and the 4.26.08 baseband...I'm using a laptop computer running Windows 7 RC. iTunes is the latest version. I got the custom firmware as mentioned above for unactivated phone since the other activated one was corrupt after I uncompressed the files. I have an ATT sim but want to unlock for travels in the future... I've also tried to restore to a 3.0 firmware, and got the same error. I tried messing with the "host" file and adding an IP address to see if that would do it but no. It seems iTunes would only be happy, lol, if I upgrade to the legit 3.1.2 fw ... Please help!
    u must likely have the wrong firmware for ur 3GS when u on the site make sure u download one of the ones under 3GS not 3G or ipod.

I just install the custom firmware with no problems at all it was pretty easy i just got one problem,my carrier logo was gone so i installed "carrier logo fixer" but instead of tmobile it says Mobistar...anyway of fixing this?

Quote Originally Posted by RGee View Post
    u must likely have the wrong firmware for ur 3GS when u on the site make sure u download one of the ones under 3GS not 3G or ipod.

I just install the custom firmware with no problems at all it was pretty easy i just got one problem,my carrier logo was gone so i installed "carrier logo fixer" but instead of tmobile it says Mobistar...anyway of fixing this?
    Thanks for the help...This is the fw I got ... iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Custom_Restore.ipsw
    Last edited by rodrigui4980; 2009-10-28 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

yup thats the one but not sure on ur problem u sure u got a 3GS and maybe not 3G ? usually when u get that message means u got the wrong firware for ur phone...which one u downloaded? zshare or megaupload? cuz i think megaupload is 3-4 files and u need download all of them the first zshare link is wut i downloaded which is just one file but of course dont forget theres a difference between activated and unactivated u got download the one that fits u.

Got mine from sinfull, you have to download all the files and you have to use winrar. (well i found didnt work with win ace)
    Ive done 3Gs and ipod touch 2nd gen, both sound.

My 3Gs also lost its carrier, ran fix carrier and it also said Mobistar, so i just ran "makeitmine" and type in Orange.

Everything works fine.

I downloaded T-Mobile US Carrier Support and now it says tmobile lol
    didn't know that would fix it i just did that to get MMS, Internet, Tethering on my device and guess installing that fix the carrier problem.
    By the way thanks for the great thread screamankit, very easy steps to follow.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by screamankit View Post
    you and everyone else are welcome.

-SCREAMANKIT.

From the source that I have mentioned in the guide visit the site and you'll find a CFW for the iTouch 2G over there just download it and follow the same steps in the guide to jailbreak.

I have updated the guide with a solution for the 16xx errors check it out and let me know if it helps.

-SCREAMANKIT.
    ok i will do that
    thank you for your help

Quote Originally Posted by RGee View Post
    yup thats the one but not sure on ur problem u sure u got a 3GS and maybe not 3G ? usually when u get that message means u got the wrong firware for ur phone...which one u downloaded? zshare or megaupload? cuz i think megaupload is 3-4 files and u need download all of them the first zshare link is wut i downloaded which is just one file but of course dont forget theres a difference between activated and unactivated u got download the one that fits u.
    Thank u RGee!!! U are the man, sir!! (or lady??) ... I'm new to this iPhone thing...and it does turn out I have a 3g and not a 3gs (I thought only the 3gs came in white?)...once I got the correct firmware iTunes was working ok but stopped on error 1604 or some junk...But progress is progress ...messing with iREB now to finally make this happen!

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigui4980 View Post
    Thank u RGee!!! U are the man, sir!! (or lady??) ... I'm new to this iPhone thing...and it does turn out I have a 3g and not a 3gs (I thought only the 3gs came in white?)...once I got the correct firmware iTunes was working ok but stopped on error 1604 or some junk...But progress is progress ...messing with iREB now to finally make this happen!
    Im a guy lol and no 3G and 3GS both come in black and white
    and about the error hope u get to fix it.Gl

lol u never can tell on the net lol...with the help of everyone involved on this thread (read this thing cover to cover to make sure I got everything right) I was able to jailbreak and unlock my 3g iPhone. Thanks OP! Very easy to follow, and thorough instructions.

people who dint get the correct carrier logo looks like your carrier logo is not on the supported list of the software cough tmobile...I got the correct one asap after the fix.

-SCREAMANKIT.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-31)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the detailed steps! The JB was done very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnride View Post
    Thanks for the detailed steps! The JB was done very easily.

you're welcome.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-31)

SCREAMANKIT-

Hey, my dad just picked up a 16gb iPhone 3g from a friend. He gave it to me to look at and unlock for him. The phone is stuck on the Apple logo screen but is able to get into DFU mode. I do not know what current firmware the phone has as I can not look into the phone without restoring using iTunes. If I am correct, the restore through iTunes will download the official released 3.1.2 version? If this happens, I understand that baseband will be upgraded as well.

Now my question is, can I follow this tutorial to jailbreak with a restored iPhone through iTunes? I have already downloaded the firmware and will need an unlock.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by devesstate View Post
    SCREAMANKIT-

Hey, my dad just picked up a 16gb iPhone 3g from a friend. He gave it to me to look at and unlock for him. The phone is stuck on the Apple logo screen but is able to get into DFU mode. I do not know what current firmware the phone has as I can not look into the phone without restoring using iTunes. If I am correct, the restore through iTunes will download the official released 3.1.2 version? If this happens, I understand that baseband will be upgraded as well.

Now my question is, can I follow this tutorial to jailbreak with a restored iPhone through iTunes? I have already downloaded the firmware and will need an unlock.

Thanks in advance
    there is no harm in trying to restore with the CFW that you have downloaded and I hope you have downloaded the ACTIVATED CFW if you dont have the official carrier sim of your iphone.
    I am not sure whether it will work 100% as you might get a 16xx error in itunes... but you should definitely try as 16xx errors are not harmful and if you dont get the error then it will be jailbroken for sure.

Note- everyone does not get 16xx errors.

let me know.

-SCREAMANKIT.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-31), devesstate (2009-11-04)

Quote Originally Posted by screamankit View Post
    there is no harm in trying to restore with the CFW that you have downloaded and I hope you have downloaded the ACTIVATED CFW if you dont have the official carrier sim of your iphone.
    I am not sure whether it will work 100% as you might get a 16xx error in itunes... but you should definitely try as 16xx errors are not harmful and if you dont get the error then it will be jailbroken for sure.

Note- everyone does not get 16xx errors.

let me know.

-SCREAMANKIT.
    I did download the Activated CFW from the website described. With the new blacksn0w coming out, it should be fine to try?! Wish me luck...here it goes.

EDIT: I got the 1600 hundred error. The phone has been updated to the official 3.1.2 update through itunes as this was the only way to get the phone running. I had an old ATT sim card that I used to verify the baseband and firmware, both of which are updated. Tried to do another restore using the CFW and got the 16xx error. It's ok, I'll wait for the blacksn0w release...hopefully no bugs. Thanks SCREAMANKIT
    Last edited by devesstate; 2009-11-01 at 02:48 AM.

Default Jailbreak
    Hi screamankit
    I have followed the jailbreak to the letter on my iPhone 3G but the phone is not activated now so I have no cell network I have tried using ultrasn0w to unlock but did not work then tried using fuzzyband to downgrade my baseband but my baseband is 05/11/07 so did not work any help would be greatful.
    Maybe I should say I have a contract phone with 02 so it's an active sim card all above board.
    Thanks for any help
    Last edited by Stu654; 2009-11-01 at 10:51 PM.

I did download the Activated CFW from the website described. With the new blacksn0w coming out, it should be fine to try?! Wish me luck...here it goes.

EDIT: I got the 1600 hundred error. The phone has been updated to the official 3.1.2 update through itunes as this was the only way to get the phone running. I had an old ATT sim card that I used to verify the baseband and firmware, both of which are updated. Tried to do another restore using the CFW and got the 16xx error. It's ok, I'll wait for the blacksn0w release...hopefully no bugs. Thanks SCREAMANKIT

you're welcome...best of luck with blacksn0w

Quote Originally Posted by Stu654 View Post
    Hi screamankit
    I have followed the jailbreak to the letter on my iPhone 3G but the phone is not activated now so I have no cell network I have tried using ultrasn0w to unlock but did not work then tried using fuzzyband to downgrade my baseband but my baseband is 05/11/07 so did not work any help would be greatful.
    Maybe I should say I have a contract phone with 02 so it's an active sim card all above board.
    Thanks for any help
    your phone has got to be ACTIVATED otherwise you would'nt be able to use the iphone features like cydia and stuff for installing ultrasn0w and since you have a contract iPhone with O2and you are using the official carrier O2 sim I cant understand why are you not getting any cell network and why are you trying to unlock using ultrasn0w as unlocks (ultrasn0w) are only meant for those who are not using the official carrier sim unlike you.

ultrasn0w wont work as it cannot unlock the 05.11.07 baseband ... looking at the info provided by you the best solution for you is to use blacksn0w which will be released on
    4th Nov as it will unlock the baseband 05.11.07 for you.
    Last edited by screamankit; 2009-11-03 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

SCREAMANIT-

Something funny happened today. Remember my dads phone, well it was upgraded with the 3.1.2 and new bb as well and jailbroken with blackra1n. He had upgraded using iTunes restore to get official 3.1.2. That unlock worked flawless.

Now the funny thing, I forgot to remove the custom firmware from the location you have described in the tutorial. Now when I went to get the official upgrade through iTunes to use with the blackra1n unlock, I noticed that the my phones software was 3.1.2 but the bb still remained the same. Haha and then found cydia in its usual spot. So in turn, your tutorial did help and I thank you.

Quick question, now that blackra1n unlocks the new bb, is there a positive to upgrading bb now or does it even matter and should I just stay on the 04.26.08 bb?
    Last edited by devesstate; 2009-11-04 at 03:11 AM.

SCREAMANIT-

Something funny happened today. Remember my dads phone, well it was upgraded with the 3.1.2 and new bb as well and jailbroken with blackra1n. He had upgraded using iTunes restore to get official 3.1.2. That unlock worked flawless.

Now the funny thing, I forgot to remove the custom firmware from the location you have described in the tutorial. Now when I went to get the official upgrade through iTunes to use with the blackra1n unlock, I noticed that the my phones software was 3.1.2 but the bb still remained the same. Haha and then found cydia in its usual spot. So in turn, your tutorial did help and I thank you.

Quick question, now that blackra1n unlocks the new bb, is there a positive to upgrading bb now or does it even matter and should I just stay on the 04.26.08 bb?

As far as I know the baseband does not change,add or remove any features so personally as of now I am gonna stick with 3.1.2 JB with 04.26.08 baseband as its working without any issues.

till now it hasn't been recommended anywhere that people with 3.1.2 JB and 04.26.08 baseband need to upgrade using blackra1n RC3 and blacksn0w with the 05.xx.xx baseband ... but if it is required in the future we can always do it then ... till then we can enjoy what has been served

NOTE- Baseband once upgraded cannot be downgraded in case you do opt to use blackra1n RC3 and blacksn0w for JBing and unlocking.There are two ways of JB and unlocking one way is to follow the devteams (pwnage tool,redsnow,ultrasn0w) and the other is to follow geohot (blackra1n,blacksn0w). Currently we dont know whether the devteam will concentrate on preserving the 04.xx.xx baseband or unlocking the 05.xx.xx baseband so incase if you follow geohot (blackra1n,blacksn0w) method and if the devteam continue to use 04.xx.xx baseband for future firmware JB then you will only have the option of following geohot (blackra1n,blacksn0w) method of JBing and unlocking so its better to wait and watch and then do the needful if required.

but hey that's just me ... your iphone your call

cheers
    Last edited by screamankit; 2009-11-04 at 10:04 AM. Reason: important note

24. The Following User Says Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

devesstate (2009-11-04)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast