Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Guide to Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 3.1.2 Firmware on Windows

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    I am on AT&T with 2 phones. A 3G and a 3GS. I want to keep the unlock available for future sales on both phones. Both are jailbroken 3.0.1 with preserved basebands so does it matter if I use activated/unactivated custom FW? Is there a way to know if the customs will update the baseband or is it a hit/miss situation. Also is there a way to avoid the missing carrier logo because I have to have it on my 3GS due to roaming issues.
    this guide will help you with both your 3G and 3GS since both of them are already jailbroken... the unlock will be available as this method won't update your baseband keeping it at 04.xx.xx (to make sure I'd recommend you that you download the 3.1.2 custom firmware from the source that I have mentioned in the guide which is perfectly safe and trustworthy)... for you it doesn't matter if you use the activated or the unactivated one since you are using the official carrier AT&T...however the activated option is an inch safer than the unactivated one for anyone and everyone but its your choice.

Using the activated or unactivated custom firmware does not have anything to do with your baseband... its just a 2-3 sec registration which usually happens with all mobiles when you put in a new sim card and switch on and activates your iphone so if you use the unactivated CFW your AT&T sim will be registered and the iphone gets activated but for some people who have got their iphone from AT&T in the US and are actually citizens of say china if they use the unactivated CFW while jailbreaking in china their iphone will demand them to insert the official sim card ie AT&T until which their phone wont get activated and they wont be allowed access to any of their iphone features making it useless unless they insert any AT&T sim in it(doesnt matter if the plan on the AT&T sim or the number on the sim is working or not it doesnt even matter if its someone else's sim whether it prepaid or postpaid...what matters is you need the physical AT&T sim non broken in any condition even if you've found it in a garbage dump to activate your phone and use its features).

Usually custom firmwares dont update your baseband since they want to keep the option to unlock open...but say if someone uploads the original 3.1.2 apple firmware and tags it as custom firmware then the baseband will get updated for sure. THAT IS WHY I RECOMMEND U TO USE THE SOURCE MENTIONED IN THE GUIDE TO DOWNLOAD YOUR 3.1.2 CUSTOM FIRMWARES AS ITS 100% SAFE... or else its a hit/miss situation.

No there is no way to avoid the missing carrier logo as its a universal problem for anyone and everyone who has jailbroken with 3.1.2 to get this problem.
    Since you need to be informed which carrier you are using while roaming what you can do is turn data roaming off from settings while roaming and select your AT&T carrier manually from setting which is currently on automatic by default and then when you are roaming even though if you cant see the carrier logo your network bars will disappear completely and then you can again manually select the network of your choice available at that time from settings>carrier if that's convenient for you.

If you have read or come up with guides that allow your carrier logo to come up by ssh or using the makeitmine app from cydia don't follow that as its just a cosmetic change.If you follow that and select AT&T to show up as your carrier logo it will work but what will happen is if you are roaming and you get latched on to a different network say sprint it will still display AT&T as your carrier logo at that time as I said its not the real deal solution just cosmetic.

-SCREAMANKIT.

Quote Originally Posted by ukbsktbll View Post
    Ok I did the first few steps. Downloaded the firmware and put it in the correct folder. Well when I restart itunes and hold down shift and click restore it just asks to restore iphone to original format. Doesnt let u chose the firmware. Do you need to put it in DFU mode?
    No dont put the phone in DFU mode...press left shift + click on restore after clicking restore release the left shift button immediately it will definitely bring up a window asking you to select the CFW.

DONT ACCIDENTALLY RESTORE WITH THE ORIGINAL FW.

-SCREAMANKIT

Quote Originally Posted by ricks104 View Post
    Any solution to 1604 error??
    the 1604 error generally comes up for people who have the original firmware on their iphones...as this guide requires you to have an already JB iphone to proceed further and since you restored to the OFW 3.1.2 for blackra1n you'll continue getting this error.

Sorry no solution unless blackra1n works for you

-SCREAMANKIT.

Quote Originally Posted by jdanny123 View Post
    ok so my friend received an iphone 2g from his aunt. his aunt says she updated to 3.1.2. my friend wishes to use the iphone,he has an att sim card. when he puts his sim in it it says invalid sim card, when he takes it out it says no sim card.either way, when he slides to unlock it just takes him to a screen to like call but doesnt work. and if he hits home it doesnt take him to the springboard. he cant go to music, apps, or do anything with it. when he plugs in to itunes, it doesnt let him sync or anything. hes tried the DFU mode thing but it just gives him either error 1600 or 1602. oo and as a background u see the image like indicating to plug in to itunes.

any help would be greatly appreciated. btw, i know he has att but i still think he has to unlock and jailbreak, will the process shown in this thread work for him after the fix?

looking at your friends situation I think his aunt had purchased the iphone with some other official carrier like Rogers,etc and not AT&T otherwise if it was purchased from AT&T it would get activated with the AT&T sim card that your friend has and it would have allowed him to use all the iphone features.

To get out of this mess the only option for your friend is to get
    the official carrier's sim card that his aunt purchased the iphone with by this I dont mean to say that same sim card that his aunt had but any or anyone's sim card of that official carrier.So for example if your friends aunt says she got it from rogers you can ask her for the rogers sim for sometime if she has it or get any rogers sim from anyone anywhere to activate the phone.only after you have activated the iphone you can follow this guide to jailbreak and unlock.

-SCREAMANKIT.

Quote Originally Posted by moneymatt05 View Post
    I accidentally upgraded to 3.1.2 can i get restore a custom restore over the current one?
    you need to have an already JB iphone to follow this guide...since you have restored with the OFW you will get 16xx errors while performing to JB with the 3.1.2 CFW

I would recommend you to use the blackra1n software to JB but it wont allow you to unlock if its necessary.

-SCREAMANKIT.
    Last edited by screamankit; 2009-10-24 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-24), CaptainChaos (2009-10-27), ricks104 (2009-10-26)

Default Upgrading a jailbroken 2g
    I am new to this so please bare with me as I probably re-state questions that have already been posed. I have a 2g iphone that has been unlocked and jailbroken with pwnage 2.2.5. Everything works very well including downloading apps from Cydia and Icy. I use Wi-Fi rather than pay for a data plan.
    Some of the apps I have downloaded have been upgraded and now require a minimum of 3.0 firmware. Can SAFELY upgrade the firmware to 3.1.2 using your guied and still remain unlocked and jailbroken?
    I have read a number of different blogs and most point to using redsnow or ultrasnow (I use a PC not a Mac).
    After reading the threads here I now have the instructions to upgrade to 3.1.2. Has anyone out there been successful at upgrading their 2G and still get ALL their features to work?

Quote Originally Posted by djright View Post
    I am new to this so please bare with me as I probably re-state questions that have already been posed. I have a 2g iphone that has been unlocked and jailbroken with pwnage 2.2.5. Everything works very well including downloading apps from Cydia and Icy. I use Wi-Fi rather than pay for a data plan.
    Some of the apps I have downloaded have been upgraded and now require a minimum of 3.0 firmware. Can SAFELY upgrade the firmware to 3.1.2 using your guied and still remain unlocked and jailbroken?
    I have read a number of different blogs and most point to using redsnow or ultrasnow (I use a PC not a Mac).
    After reading the threads here I now have the instructions to upgrade to 3.1.2. Has anyone out there been successful at upgrading their 2G and still get ALL their features to work?

do you have the official carrier sim card with which the iphone was purchased? let me know.

-SCREAMANKIT.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-31)

Quote Originally Posted by screamankit View Post
    do you have the official carrier sim card with which the iphone was purchased? let me know.

-SCREAMANKIT.
    I use Fido which uses Rogers' service. Rogers is the only iPhone provider in Canada, although my iPhone is unlocked so I should be able to use any service.
    Last edited by djright; 2009-10-24 at 08:32 PM.

I have tried to upgrade from 2.2 quickpwn to 3.01 redsnow. After restore it tried to make connection to tmobile, but after awhile it says "No service", so i cant make any calls or sms. After this i upgraded it to 3.1.2 blackra1n with the same prob.

Locked iPhone 3G with T-mobile
    Current FW 3.0 with Redsn0w jailbreak
    Modelnr. MB501DN
    Modem FW 04.26.08
    Prob: "No service"

Sending out an SOS, sending out an SOS

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Im trying to do this on my dad's iphone 2g and it keeps showing Error 1604 after i use the custom restore and i cant get pass that
    plz help

I use Fido which uses Rogers' service. Rogers is the only iPhone provider in Canada, although my iPhone is unlocked so I should be able to use any service.
    You can download the ACTIVATED 3.1.2 CFW for iphone 2G from the source mentioned in the guide to successfully jailbreak and unlock it...however you will face some minor issues due to the JB such as you carrier logo wont be visible and push notification wont work...if these issues are important to you I'd recommend you to JB and update to 3.0.1 using redsnow (find the necessary guide on this forum) as this will show the carrier logo,push notifications will work and your apps that require 3.0 or higher will also work (downside- if you have apps that require 3.1 or higher then those wont work and you'll also miss out on the features in 3.1).

-SCREAMANKIT.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-31)

thanks for the tutorials. But i cannot find the iphone 2g/edge unlocking (not jailbreaking) tutorial for fw 3.1.2. can you show me where it is?

Quote Originally Posted by djseven View Post
    I have tried to upgrade from 2.2 quickpwn to 3.01 redsnow. After restore it tried to make connection to tmobile, but after awhile it says "No service", so i cant make any calls or sms. After this i upgraded it to 3.1.2 blackra1n with the same prob.

Current FW 3.0 with Redsn0w jailbreak
    Modelnr. MB501DN
    Modem FW 04.26.08
    Prob: "No service"

Sending out an SOS, sending out an SOS

this problem you are getting is because I think your iPhone was purchased from AT&T and currently you are using it with t-mobile...for this scenario when you are using the redsnow tool you need to tick on the option to ACTIVATE your iphone which I feel you haven't done that's why it tried to make a connection with t-mobile after the jailbreak to ACTIVATE it and when it realized that you don't have the official carrier sim i.e AT&T your iphone dint get ACTIVATED and is currently in this emergency state.
    The only solution for you to get it ACTIVATED is to insert any AT&T sim card prepaid or postpaid doesn't matter just borrow any AT&T sim and insert it in your iphone and connect your iphone to itunes let it connect once again with AT&T as it did with t-mobile and it should get ACTIVATED and it will allow you to use all the iphone features...after that install ultrasn0w from cydia so that it gets unlocked and you can then use it with t-mobile.

Another question is when you proceeded with the 3.1.2 jailbreak with blackra1n did you use the original 3.1.2 firmware from itunes by apple?

If you have then your chart will look like this (after you ACTIVATE the phone by inserting the AT&T sim) -

Current FW 3.1.2 with Blackra1n
    Modelnr. MB501DN
    Modem FW 5.11.07
    Prob: "No service" as you wont be able to unlock with ultrasn0w as your baseband has been updated with the 3.1.2 original firmware restore from itunes which is required for blackra1n jailbreaking.

RESULT-
    1) you will be able to use your jailbroken iphone as an iTouch till there is an unlocking solution for the new baseband.

2)If you wanna use your iphone as a phone then the only option left is to use the official carrier sim i.e AT&T.

still lemme know what your baseband is once you ACTIVATE your iphone with the AT&T sim.

NOTE- EVERYONE OUT THERE THE BLACKRA1N JAILBREAKING METHOD IS ONLY FOR THOSE WHO JUST WANNA JAILBREAK THEIR iDEVICE AS IT DOES NOT SUPPORT UNLOCKING(UPDATES THE BASEBAND WHICH IS NOT UNLOCKABLE TILL DATE).SO ITS ONLY RECOMMENDED FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE USING THE OFFICIAL CARRIER SIM AND JUST WANNA JAILBREAK.

-SCREAMANKIT.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsd1Day View Post
    Im trying to do this on my dad's iphone 2g and it keeps showing Error 1604 after i use the custom restore and i cant get pass that
    plz help

has your dad's iphone 2G been previously jailbroken or unlocked?

Quote Originally Posted by evpoc View Post
    thanks for the tutorials. But i cannot find the iphone 2g/edge unlocking (not jailbreaking) tutorial for fw 3.1.2. can you show me where it is?
    is your iphone 2G already jailbroken?
    Last edited by screamankit; 2009-10-25 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

13. The Following User Says Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-31)

You can download the ACTIVATED 3.1.2 CFW for iphone 2G from the source mentioned in the guide to successfully jailbreak and unlock it...however you will face some minor issues due to the JB such as you carrier logo wont be visible and push notification wont work...if these issues are important to you I'd recommend you to JB and update to 3.0.1 using redsnow (find the necessary guide on this forum) as this will show the carrier logo,push notifications will work and your apps that require 3.0 or higher will also work (downside- if you have apps that require 3.1 or higher then those wont work and you'll also miss out on the features in 3.1).

-SCREAMANKIT.
    Thanks. I'm not too fussed about the push notification, but not sure what you mean by no carrier logo. The only place I see the name of my carrier is in the top left hand corner of the main page and on the General Settings page. Is that what you are referring to? If those are the only limitations, I may as well upgrade to 3.1.2. I currently have installed iTunes 9.0.1.8. Does this make any difference? BTW, thanks for all the help to me and everyone else.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yes

Thanks. I'm not too fussed about the push notification, but not sure what you mean by no carrier logo. The only place I see the name of my carrier is in the top left hand corner of the main page and on the General Settings page. Is that what you are referring to? If those are the only limitations, I may as well upgrade to 3.1.2. I currently have installed iTunes 9.0.1.8. Does this make any difference? BTW, thanks for all the help to me and everyone else.

you and everyone else are welcome.

only the top left hand corner of the main page wont show your carrier logo it will come up on the general settings page.
    itunes 9.0.1.8 is good and it wont make any difference infact it is recommended to be on the latest version of itunes as per the guide.

-SCREAMANKIT.

plz help
    Did you download the 3.1.2 CFW for iPhone 2G from the source mentioned in the guide?
    Last edited by screamankit; 2009-10-26 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

17. The Following User Says Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-31)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

only the top left hand corner of the main page wont show your carrier logo it will come up on the general settings page.
    itunes 9.0.1.8 is good and it wont make any difference infact it is recommended to be on the latest version of itunes as per the guide.

-SCREAMANKIT.

Did you download the 3.1.2 CFW for iPhone 2G from the source mentioned in the guide?
    yes i did
    one more question will this work for iTough 2g

yes i did
    one more question will this work for iTough 2g
    yes it will work for iTouch 2G as well.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-31)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Stopping by to say thank you to screamankit for all of the help provided to everyone in this thread. This is awesome!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yes it will work for iTouch 2G as well.
    what do i do to get the custom firmware for the iTough 2g
    Also im suck on my dad's iPhone 2g

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Stopping by to say thank you to screamankit for all of the help provided to everyone in this thread. This is awesome!

-SCREAMANKIT.

what do i do to get the custom firmware for the iTough 2g
    Also im suck on my dad's iPhone 2g
    From the source that I have mentioned in the guide visit the site and you'll find a CFW for the iTouch 2G over there just download it and follow the same steps in the guide to jailbreak.

I have updated the guide with a solution for the 16xx errors check it out and let me know if it helps.

-SCREAMANKIT.
    Last edited by screamankit; 2009-10-28 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

24. The Following User Says Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-31)

i know that i am boring,but any new info for my problem?

Ive gone for it. I already have a 3Gs unlocked with ultrasn0w and jailbroken with redsn0w. Was on firmware 3.0.1
    Today I have gone for a custom firmware and restored with itunes. Used a actived firmware so no baseband change.
    Just like magic my phone upgraded and remained jailbroken.
    Added ultrasnow and a few other bits. Easy.

Thank you soooooooooo sooooooo much.

You guys are tops, keep it up
    Last edited by streetwise; 2009-10-28 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by karabaja View Post
    i know that i am boring,but any new info for my problem?
    sorry mate nothing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by streetwise View Post
    Ive gone for it. I already have a 3Gs unlocked with ultrasn0w and jailbroken with redsn0w. Was on firmware 3.0.1
    Today I have gone for a custom firmware and restored with itunes. Used a actived firmware so no baseband change.
    Just like magic my phone upgraded and remained jailbroken.
    Added ultrasnow and a few other bits. Easy.

Thank you soooooooooo sooooooo much.

You guys are tops, keep it up

you're welcome.

-SCREAMANKIT
    Last edited by screamankit; 2009-10-28 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

28. The Following User Says Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-31)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast