Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Guide to Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 3.1.2 Firmware on Windows

Quote Originally Posted by death__machine View Post
    I own a iPhone 3GS (Factory unlocked*). The phone came in my hands with 3.1 firmware and 05.11.07 baseband.

I am not sure of the following things:

a)To jailbreak according to the method mentioned in this thread, I should update to 3.1.2 right?
    b)Also after some googling I read something about the difference between 500 mb cfw and 1GB cfw. Something about the 1GB cfw being better for applications and the 500 mb cfw being good for users who want songs.
    I really didnt understand that bit and plus I want both many applications and songs. Some light here..?
    c)Since my phone doesnt require any unlocking, I am confused as to which cfw I should look for. And if I get a cfw which was created without the activate check in pwnagetool from mac then is it a problem since my phone is factory unlocked.

*According to the dealers here Factory unlocked iPhones are not attached to any carrier and work with any network/sim card, hence these iPhones dont require unlocking which seems true to me cuz if my iPhone was carrier attached my sim wouldnt be working in it atm.

Help would be appreciated. Please shed some light.
    Thank you.

a. you are right but you need to update to 3.1.2 custom firmware not the official one.

b. 500MB CFW & 1GB CFW means when the 3.1.2 CFW were made using pwnage tool on a mac they were allotted a specific amount of memory (NOTE- for cydia apps only) for eg- this 1GB will be utilized only for the apps that you download from cydia. these apps are not available via itunes like winterboard app for changing themes,mxtube for downloading youtube videos to your iphone and even the themes that you download via cydia are stored on this 1GB memory allotted and under cydia you will also be able to see a pie chart of this 1GB memory as in how much is used and how much is left.personally I feel 1GB is a better option against 500MB. To make it simple I have a 32GB iphone...out of this 32GB I have 1GB allotted only for cydia apps ,themes ,etc. which leaves me with 31GB which I can use for songs,videos,apps purchased via itunes as well as the cracked apps that I have downloaded and all the other stuff that apple permits is saved on the 31GB.If you select the 500MB option and if you want something more from cydia then after 500MB is utilized you will either have to remove something to get the new stuff installed(which I personally feel is a pain).Later you cannot resize the memory allotted from 500MB to 1GB or whatsoever.

c. to be on the safer side I would advice you to get an ACTIVATED 3.1.2 CFW as it is the best and most harmless option (only the UNACTIVATED 3.1.2 CFW causes pain for people who do not have the official carrier sim card with them to activate it manually).

d. ACTIVATE does not mean it will unlock your iphone...it is just a procedure where the iphone just gets registered with the official sim card inserted within a few seconds and then allows you to use all the features of your phone.
    iPhone is unlocked using a software from cydia called ultrasn0w which you do not require to install as your phone is factory unlocked.

e. I would personally recommend you to get the ACTIVATED 3.1.2 CFW with 1GB allotted for cydia stuff.

f. You dont need to take the risk of searching for the CFW on the internet as I have provided a safe and secure source for 3.1.2 CFW in the last part of my guide... it will give you all the details whether the CFW is for 3G,3GS,etc whether its ACTIVATED,UNACTIVATED whether it has 500MB or 1GB allotted.

lemme know if you need any further help.

-SCREAMANKIT

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-24), death__machine (2009-10-20)

You can install Rock Application (similar to Cydia). With Rock you can do a backup and after an update you reinstall all your aps from this backup within minutes.
    Regards Andrea

Quote Originally Posted by screamankit View Post
    a. you are right but you need to update to 3.1.2 custom firmware not the official one.

b. 500MB CFW & 1GB CFW means when the 3.1.2 CFW were made using pwnage tool on a mac they were allotted a specific amount of memory (NOTE- for cydia apps only) for eg- this 1GB will be utilized only for the apps that you download from cydia. these apps are not available via itunes like winterboard app for changing themes,mxtube for downloading youtube videos to your iphone and even the themes that you download via cydia are stored on this 1GB memory allotted and under cydia you will also be able to see a pie chart of this 1GB memory as in how much is used and how much is left.personally I feel 1GB is a better option against 500MB. To make it simple I have a 32GB iphone...out of this 32GB I have 1GB allotted only for cydia apps ,themes ,etc. which leaves me with 31GB which I can use for songs,videos,apps purchased via itunes as well as the cracked apps that I have downloaded and all the other stuff that apple permits is saved on the 31GB.If you select the 500MB option and if you want something more from cydia then after 500MB is utilized you will either have to remove something to get the new stuff installed(which I personally feel is a pain).Later you cannot resize the memory allotted from 500MB to 1GB or whatsoever.

c. to be on the safer side I would advice you to get an ACTIVATED 3.1.2 CFW as it is the best and most harmless option (only the UNACTIVATED 3.1.2 CFW causes pain for people who do not have the official carrier sim card with them to activate it manually).

d. ACTIVATE does not mean it will unlock your iphone...it is just a procedure where the iphone just gets registered with the official sim card inserted within a few seconds and then allows you to use all the features of your phone.
    iPhone is unlocked using a software from cydia called ultrasn0w which you do not require to install as your phone is factory unlocked.

e. I would personally recommend you to get the ACTIVATED 3.1.2 CFW with 1GB allotted for cydia stuff.

f. You dont need to take the risk of searching for the CFW on the internet as I have provided a safe and secure source for 3.1.2 CFW in the last part of my guide... it will give you all the details whether the CFW is for 3G,3GS,etc whether its ACTIVATED,UNACTIVATED whether it has 500MB or 1GB allotted.

lemme know if you need any further help.

-SCREAMANKIT

Hey
    sorry for my late reply, but I jailbreaked my iphone today.
    I used the 3.1.2 firmware from apples website and restored my iphone
    then I used blackra1n and it was successful. I installed cydia and many other apps not having any problems so far .
    Also one question, can I change the amount of data that has been alotted to cydia apps?

i have a 2g on 3.1.2 from an att user. am i screwed??? sorry i dont really get it. i have tmobile sercice. thanks for any help!!
    Last edited by rizzo818; 2009-10-20 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by death__machine View Post
    Hey
    sorry for my late reply, but I jailbreaked my iphone today.
    I used the 3.1.2 firmware from apples website and restored my iphone
    then I used blackra1n and it was successful. I installed cydia and many other apps not having any problems so far .
    Also one question, can I change the amount of data that has been alotted to cydia apps?

sorry mate you cant...the amount of data allotted for cydia apps can only be done while creating the custom firmware via pwnage tool on a mac.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-24)

Hmm, k.
    Lets see how my current thing works out for me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Thanks Screamankit. This level of helpfulness is hard to come by. Especially online. I appreciate the help and info. I now have two jail broken iPhones. I tried to allow the 2g to activate on it's own but it never did so I just installed the preactivated firmware. Do miss those push notifications though.
    Last edited by ripped53; 2009-10-22 at 03:58 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Im still very confused, I only want to jailbreak not unlock so what should i use? do i need the custom firmware?

Quote Originally Posted by ripped53 View Post
    Thanks Screamankit. This level of helpfulness is hard to come by. Especially online. I appreciate the help and info. I now have two jail broken iPhones. I tried to allow the 2g to activate on it's own but it never did so I just installed the preactivated firmware. Do miss those push notifications though.

you're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by RedAce View Post
    Im still very confused, I only want to jailbreak not unlock so what should i use? do i need the custom firmware?
    follow the entire guide except the UNLOCKING part. to follow this guide you only require a windows pc and itunes and yes you do need the custom firmware 3.1.2 to jailbreak...you can get it from the source in the guide.

to unlock the phone ultrasn0w is needed which you do not require to install since you only wanna jailbreak.

-SCREAMANKIT
    Last edited by screamankit; 2009-10-22 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-24), RedAce (2009-10-22)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks SCREAMANKIT,

Im not that good on these things and didnt want to risk touching anything until i knew for sure as i find it quite confusing when im useless and most things are aimed at both j/b and u/l.

I will now attempt the j/b, but before i do can i ask one more thing? When i back up and move contacts etc and jailbreaked then i run a backup from itunes will that reinstall all the appz i have now ?

Thanks again !

any new info about unlocking with 5.9 bootloader?

I installed the original 3.1.2 version from itunes so i can jailbreak it using blackrain but it wouldnt work for me. So i tried to restore custom version of 3.1.2 as per the instructions but i keep getting error 1604. I read all the messages but there is no answer for that. Could anyone tell me how to fix 1604 error?

Thanks

Thanks SCREAMANKIT,

Im not that good on these things and didnt want to risk touching anything until i knew for sure as i find it quite confusing when im useless and most things are aimed at both j/b and u/l.

I will now attempt the j/b, but before i do can i ask one more thing? When i back up and move contacts etc and jailbreaked then i run a backup from itunes will that reinstall all the appz i have now ?

Thanks again !
    you're welcome

hey im like you too...i dont like to do stuff unless im sure that I can pull it off... but I dont know why I get this urge of keeping my iPhone and my psp up to date as fare as firmware/software updates are concerned.

yes it will reinstall all your apps from the backup...the only thing you need to take care of first is after jailbreaking to 3.1.2 you will need to install appsync 3.1 from cydia which will enable your jailbroken apps to get synced between your iphone and itunes.So incase after JB if your iphone is connected to itunes and then itunes will ask you to restore from the backup taken recently first install appsync 3.1 from cydia after adding the h.a.c.k.u.l.o.u.s repo and then restore from backup.If you dont do this and straight away restore from backup then everything will be restored ie contacts,songs and stuff except for the cracked apps as appsync 3.1 is not installed and after restoring itunes will show errors for the cracked apps that could not be installed which is not an issue as after that you can still install appsync 3.1 and again do the the restore from backup and your cracked apps will be installed.

If you have any apps downloaded from cydia you will have to re-download them.

-SCREAMANKIT.

Quote Originally Posted by karabaja View Post
    any new info about unlocking with 5.9 bootloader?
    sorry bro not yet
    Last edited by screamankit; 2009-10-23 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-24), karabaja (2009-10-23), RedAce (2009-10-23)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for that mate, Im going to have a go today I'll let you know when ive done it i'll either be happy or angry lmao

One more little thing before i go ... You say Ultrasn0w but i cant find that anywhere for windows do you know where i can get that from ? or shall i use redsn0w ?
    Last edited by RedAce; 2009-10-23 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks for that mate, Im going to have a go today I'll let you know when ive done it i'll either be happy or angry lmao

One more little thing before i go ... You say Ultrasn0w but i cant find that anywhere for windows do you know where i can get that from ? or shall i use redsn0w ?
    bro ultrasn0w is something that you can get from cydia which is an app on the JB iphone...you wont be able to download it on your pc.

you dont need to download any software on your pc to JB...jus download the custom firmware 3.1.2 from the source that is mentioned in the guide for your iphone model and open itunes with your iphone connected press shift+restore and itunes will ask you to select the firmware...choose the cutom firmware 3.1.2 that you downloaded and click open thats it let itunes do the rest and after everything is done your JB iphone will restart.

-SCREAMANKIT.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to screamankit For This Useful Post:

$cream (2009-10-24)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I am on AT&T with 2 phones. A 3G and a 3GS. I want to keep the unlock available for future sales on both phones. Both are jailbroken 3.0.1 with preserved basebands so does it matter if I use activated/unactivated custom FW? Is there a way to know if the customs will update the baseband or is it a hit/miss situation. Also is there a way to avoid the missing carrier logo because I have to have it on my 3GS due to roaming issues.

Ok I did the first few steps. Downloaded the firmware and put it in the correct folder. Well when I restart itunes and hold down shift and click restore it just asks to restore iphone to original format. Doesnt let u chose the firmware. Do you need to put it in DFU mode?

Quote Originally Posted by screamankit View Post
    bro ultrasn0w is something that you can get from cydia which is an app on the JB iphone...you wont be able to download it on your pc.

you dont need to download any software on your pc to JB...jus download the custom firmware 3.1.2 from the source that is mentioned in the guide for your iphone model and open itunes with your iphone connected press shift+restore and itunes will ask you to select the firmware...choose the cutom firmware 3.1.2 that you downloaded and click open thats it let itunes do the rest and after everything is done your JB iphone will restart.

-SCREAMANKIT.
    Any solution to 1604 error??

Default Wats wrong with iphone?
    ok so my friend received an iphone 2g from his aunt. his aunt says she updated to 3.1.2. my friend wishes to use the iphone,he has an att sim card. when he puts his sim in it it says invalid sim card, when he takes it out it says no sim card.either way, when he slides to unlock it just takes him to a screen to like call but doesnt work. and if he hits home it doesnt take him to the springboard. he cant go to music, apps, or do anything with it. when he plugs in to itunes, it doesnt let him sync or anything. hes tried the DFU mode thing but it just gives him either error 1600 or 1602. oo and as a background u see the image like indicating to plug in to itunes.

any help would be greatly appreciated. btw, i know he has att but i still think he has to unlock and jailbreak, will the process shown in this thread work for him after the fix?

I accidentally upgraded to 3.1.2 can i get restore a custom restore over the current one?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast