Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Redsn0w/3GS/vista "found new hardware" problem. Help?

Default Redsn0w/3GS/vista "found new hardware" problem. Help?
    Trying to Jailbreak my iphone 3GS (running 3.0.1) with Redsn0w(version 0.8) on a windows Vista cpu.

I follow the redsn0w steps, feed the ISPW to redsn0w, detach my iphone, turn it off, put it into DFU mode, reattach it then I get a "Found new hardware" message from vista saying I "need to Install Device Drivers for my apple mobile device (recovery mode"). Redsn0w freezes and will not advance the jailbreak (i have watched many youtube videos, know what is supposed to happen)

My options on the vista message are 1. install new device drivers (recommended )2. ask me later, 3. never ask again for this device (device wont function until drivers are installed).

I have tried this twice now, both times i selected 2. ask me later and the message disappears, but redsn0w does not advance. After sitting in recovery mode for 10-15 mins (with me freaking that I bricked it and have to restore in itunes to 3.1 and ruin any jailbreak attempts), the iphone restarts and is normal, not jailbroken and still running 3.0.1

Any help/tips/solutions is appreciated.

I posted this in theiphoneblog.com's jailbreak forum and have yet to get an answer. I also have done multiple google and forum searches, and the only relevant result I get for either are my post in theiphoneblog. Please help me jailbreak my 3gs.
    Thanks.

Also, I doubt it is what is causing the problem, but I did use this
    Activate and Enable iPhone as Internet Tethering Wireless Modem Without Hack or Jailbreak My Digital Life

site to enable tethering w/o jailbreaking and it is still functioning after the failed redsn0w attempts.
    Last edited by makisupa79; 2009-09-16 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

What do you mean when you say "feed the ISPW to redsn0w, detach my iphone, turn it off, put it into DFU mode, reattach it "

Why would you detach and reattach the phone? I don't think you're supposed to do that. You're supposed to plug the iPhone into you comp, run redsn0w, select the proper firmware to use, follow the directions (i.e. make sure phone is turned off, continue, hold the power button and home button, release the power button, etc...) but nowhere along the lines should you unplug the phone from your computer... (unless you get stuck at the waiting for reboot stage at the end of the jailbreak process, a quick unplug and re-plug should push it to continue and finish)
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2009-09-21 at 06:28 AM.

"hold the power button and home button, release the power button, etc...) "

I think you must have used an older version of redsn0w. in .8, to put the iphone in recovery mode, you have to detach the phone, turn it off, and hold the home button down while plugging in the USB cable to get it in recovery mode as show here at the 1:14 mark
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UgK74vjhK0]YouTube - How To Jailbreak iPhone 3GS on 3.0 - Redsn0w[/ame]

Thanks for the input. My problem was between my iphone and vista. Multiple attempts gave me the same error message, but I was successful on my first try when I switched to a cpu running windows XP.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I just used it to jailbreak my 3G and my 2G iPod Touch. You don't detach it. You plug it into redsn0w, you select the correct firmware, click next, then click next confirming your phone is turned off and plugged in (NOT IN DFU MODE JUST TURN IT OFF) then click next, it will start the process you follow the directions...now you should be jailbroken. I just did this twice in a row. There is no detaching and putting into DFU mode. Just shut it off normally.

and yes it's the latest version of redsn0w.

Btw in the vid the guy makes it so much more complicated than it is.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2009-09-27 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    I just used it to jailbreak my 3G and my 2G iPod Touch. You don't detach it. You plug it into redsn0w, you select the correct firmware, click next, then click next confirming your phone is turned off and plugged in (NOT IN DFU MODE JUST TURN IT OFF) then click next, it will start the process you follow the directions...now you should be jailbroken. I just did this twice in a row. There is no detaching and putting into DFU mode. Just shut it off normally.
    You are absolutely correct. Make sure your iPhone 3GS USB cable is connected to your computer before running Redsn0w.

Important:

• Do not try to restore any firmwares through iTunes. Apple has removed signing from firmwares 3.0 and 3.0.1 for the 3GS. You won't be able to restore these firmwares.
    • Do not update or restore firmware 3.1, it is not unlockable and may never be.
    • If you are jailbreaking 3.0.1, you will need to download firmware 3.0 for the 3GS and jailbreak it using Redsn0w.
    • After you are instructed to turn your iPhone 3G(s) off during the jailbreak process in Redsn0w, you will be instructed step by step on how to put your iPhone 3GS into DFU mode. Leave your iPhone 3G(s) USB cable connected to your computer.

Just follow the onscreen instructions in Redsn0w. RedSn0w will tell you when to:
    1. Turn off your iPhone
    2. Press the power/sleep button for 2 seconds.
    3. Hold the power/sleep button and home button together for 10 seconds.
    4. Release the power/sleep button, but keep holding the home button for 30 seconds.
    5. After that, watch the show.
    Last edited by reddawg; 2009-09-28 at 05:36 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown