Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: redsn0w Jailbreak Guide for iPhone 3GS using Windows

Cool redsn0w Jailbreak Guide for iPhone 3GS using Windows
    Jailbreak iPhone 3GS Guide:

1. First, make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer. If you have to update iTunes, make sure you restart your computer after installing the latest iTunes.

2. On your desktop, create a folder called “jailbreak iPhone 3GS” or whatever you want to call it. In this folder, download firmware 3.0 for your iPhone 3GS and RedSn0w 0.8 from here. Unzip the RedSn0w folder.

3. Launch RedSn0w and browse for the 3.0 firmware you downloaded in the previous step. RedSn0w should be processing the chosen firmware and tell you that the IPSW was “successfully identified”. Click Next.

4. RedSn0w will start working for a few seconds and then will ask you what you would like to install. You can install Cydia and Icy. I chose only to install Cydia.

5. We’ll now have to connect the iPhone 3GS in recovery mode. To do so, unplug it from your computer, turn it off and wait a few seconds. Then hold the home button while plugin your iPhone to the USB cable. Keep holding the home button until the “Connect to iTunes” image appears.

6. Your iPhone will then go into recovery mode and that’s when the magic happens… RedSn0w will install the jailbreak, which may take a few minutes.

7. Your iPhone will restart and install a bunch of stuff. . Even though RedSn0w says “Done!”, wait until the very end to click “Finish”.

8. After a few minutes, your iPhone will restart. Then click “Finish”.

9. Go to your iPhone springboard and you should see the Cydia icon. Note that the icon may be on the second or third page on your springboard.

10. Done!

It took me about 10 minutes to jailbreak my iPhone 3GS using this.

P.S. Not sure if theres already one of these on here but I checked and didn't seem to find one this easy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Real Krafty For This Useful Post:

hfinmyblood (2009-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Welcome to MMi,
    Thanks for the tutorial, you have done your homework it seems.
    But yes there are several threads on this already but it still should help some people. Enjoy

Thank you =)

Just unlocked it yesterday, I love how much more interesting the iPhone becomes once unlocked =)

Thanks

Ahh yes it begins, another love affair with the iPhone. Just wait till you find out everything you can do to it and with it. lmao

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i know what my problem was now. I didn't update Itunes

Is the ipsw file the same as for iPhone 3G, or should I be looking for a file named something like iPhone1,3_3.0...ipsw instead of the iPhone1,2_3.0...ipsw that I have from my iPhone 3G?

Thanks

^ it's the same

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Ahh yes it begins, another love affair with the iPhone. Just wait till you find out everything you can do to it and with it. lmao
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Krafty View Post
    Jailbreak iPhone 3GS Guide:2. On your desktop, create a folder called “jailbreak iPhone 3GS” or whatever you want to call it. In this folder, download firmware 3.0 for your iPhone 3GS and RedSn0w 0.8 from here. Unzip the RedSn0w folder.
    Just a point of reference or clarification. The first time I downloaded firmware for redsn0w to identify, I chose the 3.0.1 version for my iPhone 3GS as I had previously upgraded the phone itself through iTunes.

redsn0w did not recognize this IPSW so I then downloaded the 3.0 version of the firmware and everything worked smoothly.

The whole process took maybe 5 minutes.

Thanks

^Yup. Redsn0w hasn't been updated to recognize 3.0.1 yet but they are similar enough that 3.0 will work fine in Redsn0w
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

oy. iPhone newbie here. want to get in and play but i'm puzzled. i have 3GS with 3.0.1. I'm seeing that Redsn0w won't work with 3.0.1. I dl'd the files as directed (fw 3.0) but when i attempt to browse to the firmware, in the expanded folder, it finds no "ipsw" file. I'm missing something... also, if I do use the fw 3.0 file (300MB download!) is that reverting my iPhone to 3.0? Do I care about that - i.e. any drawbacks?
    Thanks to anyone patient enough to answer! ;-)

Thanks

Make sure the file you downloaded is an .ipsw file and not a .zip file. If it's .zip then change the extension to .ipsw (you may need to go change your settings to show known extensions - if you don't know how, google)
    And no, it'll stay at 3.0.1. Don't worry about it

Thanks for the complete guide and it should be a good reference for those who are looking for it.

Cheers~~~

this guide does not mention grabbing the ibec and ibss. is that still necessary on the 3GS?

Thanks

it is necessary for any future jailbreaks, but in the meantime, is not necessary.
    you should grab them as soon as possible though.

hey does this way wipe your iPhone and have to sync everything back on? cuz the last JB I used was purplerain and it didn't wipe it clean.

Thanks

Redsn0w will NOT wipe your phone.

Question really new
    im really new to all this,,and dont know the terms used,and what they mean ,,so please bear with me. i have a new iphone 3gs with 3.1 on it ,,can it be jailbroken.
    is there anything i need to worry about,if i were to do it.
    thanks
    mtbikr59

Thanks

^No, it can not be jailbroken.

I follow the same procedure and the iphone screen stays black after the program is "Done!". Is this indicating that the iphone already has 3.1? I can't look for that as the iphone is still unactivated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast