Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Please Help: "Searching..." after iphone 2G jailbreak..

Default Please Help: "Searching..." after iphone 2G jailbreak..
    Hello all,
    I bought a 1st gen 2g iphone w/ 3.0 firmware recently that was already unlocked but not jailbroken and it wokred perfectly with my current Tmobile sim card.

Then, I recently jailbroke my phone using pwnagetool for the Mac OSx today..

I followed the instructions step by step precisely and after jailbreaking, instead of finding "Tmobile" it said "No Service" and so I tried to repwn it a few times to make sure I wasn't doing smething wrong. Still no success..so I started frantically searching on the forums for other people that had the same problem.

I found one guy with a 2G on tmobile also - he used redsn0w instead so I gave redsn0w i shot. After redsn0w finished, I had to manually download 'bootloader' from cydia to flash my broadband again just in case - I didn't want to miss any steps.

Now my phone is stuck at "Searching..." in the corner and has been for awhile. I suppose this is a step up from "No Service"..but it's still not finding Tmobile!

Can anyone please help me out here? Any suggestions? Any help would be great..I'm loving this phone and I just got it, and now it's not working

Thanks again in advance

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

In my opinion you should go back in iTunes and install a fresh 3.0 on your phone, and then re-jailbreak.
    Here is a link that will give you step by step instructions.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

veeh (2009-07-13)

Blkcadi,
    just tried your suggestion, using redsn0w and the directions that can be found here: iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your iPhone 2G on OS 3.0 Using RedSn0w (Mac)

This time I tried doing the whole process in airplane mode (another guy that had trouble suggested that..) which I hadn't done previously.

I followed the steps of installing meticulously, made sure every step was right but my status is still stuck in "Searching...".

If it's in "searching..." rather than "no service" mode, does that indicate something? Or would "searching.." be equivalent to "no service"?

*SIGH!! Any other suggestions?

Oh, and here's another weird thing I just discovered - I need to have phone service so I took out my sim card to put back in my old phone for tonight. When I put the empty sim tray back into the iphone it didn't detect 'No Sim', instead it kept 'Searching...'. I decided to reboot it and now finally it's recognizing that there's no sim card.
    Last edited by veeh; 2009-07-13 at 05:21 AM.

Thanks

Do you have edge enabled? What APN settings are you using?

I do have EDGE with my Tmo account - the unlimited blackberry plan.

I just reset my network settings and pointed the APN settings to wap.voicestream.com.

No success, now the service bar says 'No service'. ahh!

Thanks

Wow, not sure now. Sim problem?
    Have you tried other APN settings
    epc.tmobile.com
    internet2.voicestream.com
    you also might try resetting the network settings in general/network/cellular data network.

Also, did you do a sync in iTunes when you completed the new jailbreak and unlock? If so it may of picked up a bad file.

I'm about to call it a night for tonight, lol. I will try the other settings tomorrow morning.

I am starting to think that maybe my simcard is too old. I read some posts about people having problems until they got a new simcard from the Tmo store and using the new one.

I guess I will swing by a Tmo tomorrow, try the new simcard thing after trying all the network settings.

Thanks again for all your help! I'll let you know if the new card/different settings work.

Thanks

Good luck, sure hope it is that simple.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

veeh (2009-07-13)

WOOHOO! Finally got it to work. All I did was buy a brand new spankin' sim card, put it in, and woohoo - everything was perfect.

I have a lot better service now, too. Guess my sim card needed changing.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and help. I'm a happy camper now =)

Thanks

Great news, glad it worked out for you.

My iphone has the same problem with searching. it was working fine this morning and i dont know why its not now...??? PLEASE HELP ME

Quote Originally Posted by rwelch1983 View Post
    My iphone has the same problem with searching. it was working fine this morning and i dont know why its not now...??? PLEASE HELP ME
    SAME PROBLEM ALL DAY!!!
    Seems to be 3G related.... driving me crazy

mine is a 2g with this problem

I'm havin this problem too suddenly today after replacing my 2 year old sim card with brand new spankin card about only 2 weeks ago..

Mine is a 2G. Rwelch1983, i posted after you on the other related thread by paqmanbiker.

Are you guys both with Tmobile? Do you think its a Tmobile issue somehow?

UPDATE: this morning, I was able to put my friend's working Tmobile SIM card into my iphone to see if that would help any. Lo and behold, I stuck her sim card in (she said it was 3-4 years old), my phone recognized it, and so then I stuck mine back in and FINALLY on then did it decide to recognize mine.

This was after it had lost service completely after a shutdown (battery drained and wasn't near a charger), reflashing, rejailbreaking, putting my sim into my old blackberry and making a call then sticking it back into my phone and all of those still not working.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by veeh; 2009-07-23 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Updated INFO!

I am still having problems with mine i've tried so much. I've re-sn0wed it 400 times, i've bootneutered every way possible, I used the pwnage 3.0 tool on my bros mac this morning, i've used several t-mobile sims (dont know the age on any except mine which is about a month or so), resetting netwotk settings, resetting all settings, i even took the 2 hours to erase all content. It could be a problem with the baseband but i think bootneuter would take of a problem like that. It did pop-up with t-mobile once after resetting netwotk settings but then dropped to no service shortly after. This (i think) was after resetting the settings. I get it to search longer using bootneuter but eventually says no service. I have even put it into airplane mode removed sim... turned off airplane mode replaced sim. Still nothing. I appreciate everyones comments

Also, when bootneuter flashes, it restarts goes into bootneuter and locks on "determining settings". It isn't at&t activated but i think redsn0w takes care of that problem. Thanks again!

It also recognizes my phone number on the phone and through i tunes, like i said it worked fine the other morning
    Last edited by rwelch1983; 2009-07-24 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hmm..that is weird. When you put other Tmobile sims in, they were activated sims that worked in other phones right??

Have you tried putting in an AT&T sim to see if it'll read that?