Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS jailbreak lost wifi

Default iPhone 3GS jailbreak lost wifi
    Hello,

I feel stupid for this happening but this is my situation. After geohot released purplera1n rc2a i downloaded and installed his jailbreak on my iPhone 3GS. Everything seemed to work fine and I had no problems. I should've just stopped here and been happy.

But when I saw that the dev team released redsn0w 0.8 i decided their jailbreak would be more safe than geohot's, mainly based on their experience in writing end user apps to jailbreak. So I restored back to the official 3GS 3.0 firmware and proceeded to use redsn0w 0.8 to jailbreak.

The jailbreak worked fine and I don't need ultrasn0w (I'm a AT&T customer). But now my wifi doesn't work. I can connect to my local network via wifi but no websites come up and Cydia couldn't connect to anything. This only started happening after I installed redsn0w. I know its not my wifi network because my 2G iPhone connected and worked fine on the same network.

I have tried every type of restore (DFU, Recovery, and normal) and even before the jailbrake my wifi doesn't work. I can always connect to networks but I can't every get out to sites or Cydia repos. My Edge connection works fine (I don't live in a 3G area).

Anyone know anything I could do to help fix this? I even tried the Airplane mode->Wifi On->Reboot->Airplane mode off trick to no avail...

Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hey there! I've just jailbroken my friends iPhone 3GS using the devs jailbreak and unlock and this has happened to him! He has had to nip off now so I can look into it until Saturday!

But when I do see him I'm going to restore the firmware to apples original and use Geohotz version instead, as I did this with my iPhone 3GS and it worked perfectly!

That's my advice to you!

I have already DFU restored with the Apple firmware and even after that the wifi is still having the issue. I tried going from purplera1n ->restore -> redsn0w -> restore -> purplera1n ->restore -> redsn0w.

I was able to get the airplane mode wifi trick to work once this morning but since then i haven't. This is so frustrating I wish there was an Apple store close by so I could just swap it out since it only seems to be happening to a few people.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the same problem. iPhone 3Gs with Wifi dropout.I also had the same problem after jailbreaking with Purplera1n, but when I started over and restored the iphone, I set it up as a new phone and resynced everything from scratch it solved the Wifi dropout with Purplera1n. When I had the same issue after using redsn0w, I tried the same thing, restoring, setting up as a new phone, but it didn't help. Will be going back to Purplera1n until the devs can workout what is wrong. Using a PPC Mac on 10.5.7
    Last edited by Nutmeg42; 2009-07-08 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Added extra info

So a restore then instead of restoring the backup you just selected set up as new phone? Then went to jailbreak with purplera1n?

I will try this method out later, though I thought I tested my phone after a restore without backup and still no wifi. But i'm willing to try it again.

seems a lot of issues with redsn0w. did you try using purplera1n?

Jailbroke my iphone 3gs last night using redsn0w 0.8 and so far no problems with wifi or streaming video. Jailbreak done following the steps below.

- iphone 3gs in uk on 02 network
    - started iBEC_iBSS_Grabber first
    - downloaded firmware iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore from apple website
    - went to restore mode on iphone
    - copied iBEC and iBSS to desktop
    - downloaded redsn0w-win_0.8 from a torrent
    - ran redsn0w selecting both cydia and icy and the firmware as above.

If the steps above are followed then I would hope people would have the same outcome with their jailbreaks. The only differences between the iphone 3gs in different countries will be the installed language and the carrier, and none of these things will affect how the iphone connects to your wifi network.

I can understand why people have the problem if they Jailbroke using purplera1n and then tried to use redsn0w without first restoring their iphone, although the 2 are similar there are small differences between the 2 this is the reason why some apps like winterboard don't work using purplera1n but do using redsn0w.

For the people who are having problems with the jailbreak it maybe helpful to explain exactly how they installed their jailbreak, what files were used, where they got the files from and also give people here some indication as to what type of iphone they are using (touch, iphone 3g, 3gs), this may help the more technical among us provide an explanation as to what went wrong or at least try!
    Last edited by scandude; 2009-07-09 at 11:38 AM. Reason: sounded arsy

I been having bad WIFI connectivity, range and speed, also i reset network i have wifi, but after some time wifi drops andi have to restart network again.. its bugging me , i cant find a solution.

Yes its been happening before jb too

I tried restoring and starting as a new phone with no luck still. It seems to be an issue all around and I guess I have to wait until 3.1.

No one has found a fix for this?

Apple has admitted to wifi issues with OS 3.0. Check out this support article and follow the steps. If this does not resolve your issue, you may have to have your device sent in for repair.

Unable to use Wi-Fi or Bluetooth with iPhone or iPod touch because there's no address listed for the device

Also read the CNET article here:
    Apple cops to OS 3.0 Wi-Fi, Bluetooth problems | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare