Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: redsn0w and activation

Default redsn0w and activation
    quick question, hopefully. i'm going to buy a new 3G this afternoon running 3.0. the guy said it's in activation mode, where all you see is the Connect to iTunes image. will running redsn0w get me past the activation screen? should i put the phone into dfu recovery and reinstall a clean version of 3.0 in case he upgraded from 2.x before using redsn0w? would I be safer doing that?

i already have an ATT sim card with data plan (not iphone data, just regular since it's cheaper) so i planned on popping it out of my 2G and into the 3G so i can test phone calls and browsing the internet. i assume i won't need to unlock with ultrasn0w since i'm using an att sim, but maybe someone here could confirm for sure. i have to go the redsn0w route since i don't have an iphone account to activate the phone through itunes. plus, I'll have a problem downloading ultrasn0w from cydia if i can't use my sim to access the internet. although, i am meeting him at starbucks so maybe i could pay for an hour of wifi if i need to. either way, i'd prefer to skip the whole ultrasn0w step assuming my att sim is all i need.

comments? suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mvangogh View Post
    quick question, hopefully. i'm going to buy a new 3G this afternoon running 3.0. the guy said it's in activation mode, where all you see is the Connect to iTunes image. will running redsn0w get me past the activation screen? should i put the phone into dfu recovery and reinstall a clean version of 3.0 in case he upgraded from 2.x before using redsn0w? would I be safer doing that?

i already have an ATT sim card with data plan (not iphone data, just regular since it's cheaper) so i planned on popping it out of my 2G and into the 3G so i can test phone calls and browsing the internet. i assume i won't need to unlock with ultrasn0w since i'm using an att sim, but maybe someone here could confirm for sure. i have to go the redsn0w route since i don't have an iphone account to activate the phone through itunes. plus, I'll have a problem downloading ultrasn0w from cydia if i can't use my sim to access the internet. although, i am meeting him at starbucks so maybe i could pay for an hour of wifi if i need to. either way, i'd prefer to skip the whole ultrasn0w step assuming my att sim is all i need.

comments? suggestions?
    I would find out why the owner has it in recovery mode. Why didn't he just restore in iTunes? Not that it's a really big problem hopefully, but I would make sure there are no issues.
    The steps you wrote in the first paragraph are correct, and you will not have to unlock if your on AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    I would find out why the owner has it in recovery mode. Why didn't he just restore in iTunes? Not that it's a really big problem hopefully, but I would make sure there are no issues.
    The steps you wrote in the first paragraph are correct, and you will not have to unlock if your on AT&T.
    if i were to guess i'd say he wanted to wipe the phone clean before selling and did a dfu restore, which puts the phone back into activation. good to know redsn0w is all i need. thanks for the feedback.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mvangogh View Post
    if i were to guess i'd say he wanted to wipe the phone clean before selling and did a dfu restore, which puts the phone back into activation. good to know redsn0w is all i need. thanks for the feedback.
    Yup that would be my guess too, but if I were selling it I would make sure that it is indeed working.
    There is a difference from recovery mode and DFU mode, just sayin'.
    It is in recovery mode now.

so this was weird. usually when i plug an unactivated phone into itunes it starts the activation process, but yesterday when i met the guy to buy the phone, i plugged it into itunes and itunes automatically removed the activation and the springboard just popped up. i was shocked. what would have caused the activation to disappear? didn't have to bother running redsn0w at all.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Activation screen disappears if you connect to iTunes with a sim card from the official provider in that country.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

that something new? never worked with my 2G. always had to jailbreak to get past activation screen.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeh, it was introduced just after the launch of the iPhone 3G, As long as you had the official carrier sim card and an iPhone from the country, you would be activated legally, no need to sign contract. iPhone 2G and iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th