Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Problems with 3.0 Firmware .Zip extension not .IPSW

Default Problems with 3.0 Firmware .Zip extension not .IPSW
    I cant get my computer to see the .IPSW extension on the Firmware 3.0, it keeps seeing it as .Zip, tried renaming but cant change extension, re downloading and deleting winzip. still have problems. Any ideas?

using windows vista home, sorry.
    Last edited by thetucker; 2009-06-27 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

im having the same problem the ispw download is zip when extracted becomes a folder,so i start redsnow click browse find folder click open a list of things pop up but none of them work thh ispw in the past i have downloaded have allways been an itunes icon is that what you see

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

If you use safari: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-...pw-safari.html

You have to disable Hide Extensions For Known File Types... Click Start--->Computer--->Tools(This is at the top of the toolbar)--->View--->then you uncheck Hide Extension For Know File Types.

Press Apply. Press Ok.
    Last edited by CaptainChaos; 2009-06-28 at 02:22 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

bruinsrme (2009-06-30), kth262 (2011-02-14), thetucker (2009-06-30)

On mac, click on the zip file and click "option + i" or File/get info. Then manually change the extension to ipsw. Therefore, removing the .zip extension. That's it. On PC, I believe you have to right-click and go to properties and change the extension.

Hi, I managed to sort it by openng the Computer---then pressing right hand Alt( which displays a hiden menu)----then select tools--- add extension to file name selected on----then simpley change it from .zip to .ipsw, good done. Thanks for the replys.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by captainchaos View Post
    if you use safari: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-...pw-safari.html

you have to disable hide extensions for known file types... Click start--->computer--->tools(this is at the top of the toolbar)--->view--->then you uncheck hide extension for know file types.

Press apply. Press ok.
    thank you!!!!
    Thank you!!!!
    Thank you!!!!
    Thank you!!!!

Thanks

You are welcome. By default it is set to not show the extensions so people don't accidentally mess things up.

Hi there and I am having this problem, except I am running windows vista with internet explorer 8. When I download any of the "ipsw files" to my desk top they just show as Winraw and neither Itunes or Redsn0w can find them. I tried reading this and searching the net for help. Hoping someone here can help and explain how I convert these? When I right click the file it shows " iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_ipsw" Though in type of file I get " WinRAR ZIP archive (.zip)" Thanks in advance for any information that can help me

Thanks

So you are saying that your ipsw files are showing as .rar files? That means you have associated it with Winrar.

Right click your ipsw file.
    Select properties.
    At the top of the properties dialog box you will see:
    Type of File: Apple Device Software Update File (.ipsw)
    Opens with:

Where it says opens with click the "Change" box and then browse to iTunes.exe and select it.

Then go back and look at your file.

captainchoas thanks your advised worked like a blessing...

Guide to .zip or .rar files

you have to change the extension to .ipsw
    1) right click and click on rename
    2) if the name includes .zip, then simply change change to .ipsw
    in not then
    1) you need to open the files folder in windows explorer, if you its on your desktop, then you need to navigate through computer.
    2) go to tools, folder options, and click tab that says views
    3) about 8 options down is a check box that reads hide file extensions, remove the check
    4) rename your file again, and replace .zip with .ipsw.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pininfarina For This Useful Post:

hrkhn (2010-10-16), Yorkie12 (2010-08-17)

okay so im a total noob and a google search lead me to this forum and thread so nice to meet you im sure you can help.
    I seem to be having the same issue but my iphone software update folder is empty. i have checked 3 times now to make sure that all hidden files are now viewable and still no luck. the only thing i can think is i downloaded iOS 6 directly to my phone could that be why its not showing up on my computer? i would think the backup would be there thou?
    toshiba satelite windows vista IE8
    i should mention i have a ipod touch 4 never messed wiht it it is still running ios5 and the ipod folder is empty also