Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: After 3.0- Cydia crashes at launch

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default After 3.0- Cydia crashes at launch
    I jailbroke my 3G iPhone with redsnow, but Cydia crashes as soon as I launch it. I press the icon, its starts to launch(blue stipe at the top, dark grey stripe at the bottom, black in between), but then disappears and the dashboard reappears.
    I did the jailbreak process again, but the same crash occurred.

Any suggestions?

Perform a clean install-when I say clean it means to restore to iPhone OS 3.0 (a must according to DevTeam).
    1. DFU and restore to iPhone OS 3.0. If successful go to next step otherwise repeat this step.
    2. Tests iPhone apps and functionalities like Mail, Safari, YouTube,Settings,etc.
    3. Jailbreak with redsn0w or Pwnage Tool. If jailbreaks fail go to step 1.
    4. Repeat step 3.
    5. Enable wi-fi in Settings. Open Cydia to connect online. If it consistently crashes, stop, go to step 1.

Good luck and have patience.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

When using redsn0w to jailbreak 3G on 3.0 installing icy will cause mad problems with cydia! Restore 3.0 with i-tunes and re-jailbreak with redsn0w but don't check icy! Cydia will work fine and you can add
    ultrasn0w! I'm not sure how to add icy yet?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by {BR3NTLY} View Post
    When using redsn0w to jailbreak 3G on 3.0 installing icy will cause mad problems with cydia! Restore 3.0 with i-tunes and re-jailbreak with redsn0w but don't check icy! Cydia will work fine and you can add
    ultrasn0w! I'm not sure how to add icy yet?
    Inside of Cydia select "Sections" at the bottom. Then scroll down to Repositories. Then scroll down to Ripdev and add it. Icy is in there.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

{BR3NTLY} (2009-06-26)

after trying everything i found a fix! thanks to youtube guy danny7305!
    Use the apps iFile or Discover from Cydia to browse to /var/lib/dpkg/updates/ and swipe the files then select delete, or in iFile select edit, check all the files, then tap the trash can at the bottom.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keekee1987 For This Useful Post:

bluespot (2009-08-02), Cooldread (2009-08-05), izzyb97 (2009-08-07)

Will try your method as mine is crashing on cydia ..thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keekee1987 View Post
    after trying everything i found a fix! thanks to youtube guy danny7305!
    Use the apps iFile or Discover from Cydia to browse to /var/lib/dpkg/updates/ and swipe the files then select delete, or in iFile select edit, check all the files, then tap the trash can at the bottom.
    Worked for me! Very easy and took 2 minutes. But I used iPhoneBrowser from Windows to go in and delete the same files. Kinda hard to install anything in Cydia when it crashes on launch...

redsn0w 0.8 should not have this problem... Make sure you guys using the latest version...

Cheers~~~

Thanks

Dude this total fixed my problem. I just ssh into my phone and delete files and cydia start to work again. you Rock!!!!

Thanks

This worked for me...thanks so much for saving me the headache of another Restore and JB.
    Cooldread
    Outwit * Outplay * Outlast
    Survivor Guatemala Season 11 **The Maya Empire**
    Land Rover G4 Challenge **The Ultimate Global Adventure**

Had the same problem and deleting contents of /var/lib/dpkg/updates/ worked for me as well. Thanks a lot.

Worked for me using iphonebrowser. Thanks, guys

I have the same problem where I just jailbroke my iphone and cydia crashes when I try to open it. I used iphone explorer to see those folders; however, /var/lib/dpkg/updates is already empty. Any other suggestions?

I restored my iphone to 3.0.1 in itunes and used redsn0w .8 to jailbreak my iphone. Thanks

While we're waiting for custom firmwares, I have a quick question. If I have a 3G, can I restore back to 3.0 or is that impossible now with Apply verifying?