Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: On 3.0 from Pwnage, RedSn0w/Ultra Next?

Default On 3.0 from Pwnage, RedSn0w/Ultra Next?
    Okay... on 2.2.1 (2G iphone) I was able to sync with my jobs exchange email just fine. I upgraded to 3.0 and I foolishly (i think) copied some of my Library files into the new folders of 3.0 to salvage notes, sms, and a few other settings, because I wanted to setup the phone as new, rather than restore from backup. NOW....

My Exchange hasn't worked since 3.0 and in fact my phone is so much snappier but my mail won't open and I have a few quirks here and there that need to be fixed. Coworkers of mine have the 3GS model and they can use Exchange just fine and on their first try. I want to clean this iphone and use RedSn0w to Jailbreak & Unlock.

Since my phone is already jailbroken and unlocked whats the best way to do this?? Do I (On a Mac) Alt+Restore and then use the OFFICIAL Firmware? Then proceed to redSn0w to jailbreak and unlock? I think I'm correct in this way of thinking but I just wanted to double check. I didn't want it to screw up bootloaders/basebands all that crazy stuff... Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, what is the best way to backup n restore SMS & Notes? Music, Calendars, contacts and all that I'm def cool with and know I can just sync and those will come back.

You're right, you can just restore through iTunes and then redsn0w to JB and unlock the phone.

To back up the SMS, Notes, Calendars, contacts, etc. you would have to SSH them all out and then back in when you set it up as a new phone.

You could try following this guide, I haven't done it on 3.0 yet, but I would assume that it works. All your data files are found in /Users/Library

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...ken-phone.html
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NeoNightmareX For This Useful Post:

itsberg (2009-06-25)

Neo,

Thanks bro... I figured that was the way to go. QuickPWN wasnt out yet and I wanted to follow the directions of that "blazing fast jb phone" but just substitute it with Pwnage since QuickPWN wasnt out yet. Now I see Redsn0w is out, and i use my phone on T-Mobile.. will I have any trouble activating once I restore to Stock Apple? I was hoping I could do everything as I outlined, but that I wouldn't get stuck on the activation part, and could go str8 to unlocking and jb.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by itsberg View Post
    Neo,

Thanks bro... I figured that was the way to go. QuickPWN wasnt out yet and I wanted to follow the directions of that "blazing fast jb phone" but just substitute it with Pwnage since QuickPWN wasnt out yet. Now I see Redsn0w is out, and i use my phone on T-Mobile.. will I have any trouble activating once I restore to Stock Apple? I was hoping I could do everything as I outlined, but that I wouldn't get stuck on the activation part, and could go str8 to unlocking and jb.
    After you jailbreak it use Cydia or Icy to download ultrasn0w, it does the unlock.

Is ultrasnow going to work better than RedSnow??? I did Redsnow on my boy's fone yesterday and it worked out.. All i see on the forums are horror stories about Ultra. Also to clarify from the previous post.. Do i have to hit ALT+Restore and just find the official apple firmware, or can i simply hit Restore???

Also, you said jailbreak then get ultrasnow to unlock... but doesnt redsnow jailbreak & unlock.. i'm using the 2g (1st gen) on t-mobile...
    Last edited by itsberg; 2009-06-25 at 04:53 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by itsberg View Post
    Is ultrasnow going to work better than RedSnow??? I did Redsnow on my boy's fone yesterday and it worked out.. All i see on the forums are horror stories about Ultra. Also to clarify from the previous post.. Do i have to hit ALT+Restore and just find the official apple firmware, or can i simply hit Restore???
    I have read a bunch too, and it is my opinion that the problems were not caused by ultrasn0w, rather the pwnage. Make sure you follow the instructions to a T while jailbreaking, since you have already had experience should have no problems.
    Restore is the chosen way by most, but both will work.

You don't need Ultrasn0w if you have a 2G iPhone (metal back). You can unlock directly from Redsn0w.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

sweet thanks, i think I'll simply restore... then activate/jb/unlock with redsnow, and then shh my data back in. Do I have to do any special permissions when shh'ing back to the phone???

Shh'ing your data is okay but why? if you just want to restore all your valuable data, why don't you just:
    1. Sync your iPhone in iTunes-this creates a local backup and home at Apple.
    2. Perform your jailbreak/unlock. If everything is successful, jailbroken/unlocked? go to next step otherwise DFU repeat this step.
    3. Perform a simple tests by opening the iPhone apps like Mail, Safari, Contact,etc.. Enable wi-fi in Settings, open Cydia and verify if you are able to connect to Cydia site and other repositories. If there is a problem in any of your apps, or Cydia fails to connect then DFU & repeat step 2 otherwise your gates are open.
    4. Everything is good so far at this stage but continue to tests iPhone apps and all the functionality, Go drink a beer, you deserved it and one for the DevTeam too!.

Good luck and have fun always ( that's the thrill).