Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pwnage Tool 4.1.2

Default Pwnage Tool 4.1.2
    Based on this picture:

If I DO NOT want to hacktivate, I uncheck the Activate button, right?

Enable baseband upgrade is grayed out, does that mean I will stay on 5.13.04? Because I'm on 4.0.1 right now..

After all this is done, I just need to goto iTunes shift+restore and I'm done right? I will DFU the phone using redsn0w.

I'm going to activate this phone using a NonService AT&T Sim card.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Sounds like you got it under control. Yes your baseband will stay the same. You can put the phone in dfu with pwnage tool or redsn0w.

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Sounds like you got it under control. Yes your baseband will stay the same. You can put the phone in dfu with pwnage tool or redsn0w.
    Thanks! Sorry for being a noob. Haha. Never used pwnagetool or redsnow before. Only used Blackra1n, spirit, and Jailbreakme.

If anything goes wrong during the restore process, I just need to restore right?

Since it's not updating the baseband, will I get a error code?

EDIT: I put the patched firmware on redsn0w, it says unable to recognize it. Or do I put the official Apple firmware in redsn0w?
    Last edited by nitrogen521; 2010-11-01 at 04:52 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Stay within one jb'ing method. Start and finish w/PwnageTool.

No errors are expected w/PwnageTool. If something goes wrong, do it again. Most problems are entering DFU mode, but PwnageTool verifies so it should work perfectly the 1st time. Option/Click iTunes, select Custom Firmware IPSW (built w/PT).

One last thing. Not checking 'Activation'? If you don't check this box, an Apple-authorized SIM is needed to activate the phone. (Without one, it will be jailbroken --- but can't activate. Ugg -- Borrow one from a friend )

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Stay within one jb'ing method. Start and finish w/PwnageTool.

No errors are expected w/PwnageTool. If something goes wrong, do it again. Most problems are entering DFU mode, but PwnageTool verifies so it should work perfectly the 1st time. Option/Click iTunes, select Custom Firmware IPSW (built w/PT).

One last thing. Not checking 'Activation'? If you don't check this box, an Apple-authorized SIM is needed to activate the phone. (Without one, it will be jailbroken --- but can't activate. Ugg -- Borrow one from a friend )
    Thing is, using VMWare I can't put the device in DFU Mode.

ALso, I have an AT&T Sim card that has no service.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^ well ok. Pwnage + the new redsn0w will work. If your old AT&T SIM card doesn't activate your phone, then build another IPSW w/activation checked. It's actually better to use an authorized SIM for activation -- so good luck.

^ well ok. Pwnage + the new redsn0w will work. If your old AT&T SIM card doesn't activate your phone, then build another IPSW w/activation checked. It's actually better to use an authorized SIM for activation -- so good luck.
    Hey how come when I put the PWNED firmware on redsn0w, it does not detect it? I have to use the offical firmware? < All I need is the special DFU mode.

Also is the pwnage tool 4.1.2 tethered or untethered for the 3GS New bootrom?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Untethered.

I haven't used the new redsn0w yet, but the only thing you need from redsn0w is the special DFU capabilities. Once the iPhone is in DFU mode (w/redsn0w), then shift/click restore using iTunes w/the Custom IPSW.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-01 at 05:21 PM.

Untethered.

I haven't used the new redsn0w yet, but the only thing you need from redsn0w is the special DFU capabilities. Once the iPhone is in DFU mode, then shift/click restore using iTunes w/the Custom IPSW.
    What i'm afraid of is that if I put the firmware inside, and I check only DFU mode it will update my iPhone to 4.1 and jailbreak it...

Anyway, thanks for all your help. ^.^

I'm just worried that it will update my 4.1, and jailbreak it or something bad will happen. =-\

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you're concerned (and I might be too), wait a couple more days for redsn0w to get out of beta. Personally, I like the dust to settle before jumping (aka leading edge .vs. bleeding edge) (haha)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

nitrogen521 (2010-11-01)

Thanks

When using redsn0w you always point it to the official firmware. Do not worry redsn0w cannot update your iphone. Use redsn0w to put it in dfu, then shift-click restore to the custom firmware you made with pwnage tool.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

nitrogen521 (2010-11-01)

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    When using redsn0w you always point it to the official firmware. Do not worry redsn0w cannot update your iphone. Use redsn0w to put it in dfu, then shift-click restore to the custom firmware you made with pwnage tool.
    Ah ok. So nothing bad will happen if i point it to the Offical firmware? After that, I just tick DFU mode, and walla. Than update using iTunes. What if I get any errors during the process. THat means I will have to update to the OFFICIAL 4.1 than I will lose my unlock.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It means you need to try another Custom IPSW.

Don't worry, you can always restore to any custom FW version you have SHSH blobs saved.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-01 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks

Ya, do not use the official firmware in itunes, even if it errors, just try the process again. If you get it in dfu with redsn0w properly it should restore to the custom firmware no problem in itunes.

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It means you need to try another Customer IPSW.

Don't worry, you can always restore to any custom FW version you have SHSH blobs saved.
    I recently got this 3GS off ebay. It only have 4.1 Blobs saved.

So if anything goes wrong, I can just restore to another cooked firmware by pwnagetool?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^ No problem. 4.1 is good to go (jailbreaking). And with the older baseband an unlock is available.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrogen521 View Post
    ... So if anything goes wrong, I can just restore to another cooked firmware by pwnagetool?
    Another 4.1 cooked IPSW sure
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-01 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Yes if anything goes wrong just try the process again. Do not restore to official 4.1 or you will lose your unlock.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

+1+1+1. NEVER NEVER NEVER restore with an official Apple FW IPSW!!!

What if another custom restore does't work? Just want to know the worst case scenario.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^ There is some unknown problem which must be fixed ............ and a stock FW update would very likely fail also. Keep in mind, a stock FW updates 2 things, baseband and iOS firmware. Using a stock FW, if the updates fails, it's likely the baseband was updated first .... then the fw failed, but you're stuck w/o an unlock
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-01 at 05:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast