Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbroken on 4.1 but no network

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy Jailbroken on 4.1 but no network
    Hey there....

I've been pulling my hair out for the last 48 hours trying to solve my problem. Ive searched and searched and now I'm at the point where I think I've over-searched and have run myself crazy/confused!

I can't get my phone to recognize my network (rogers with an active rogers sim card) despite trying limera1n/greenpois0n both of which got me 'into' the phone (not stuck at the emergency screen anymore).... what steps can I take now to get my phone jailbroken and able to make calls/texts! I just did a custom firmware through pwnage as well but I'm nervous to try it through iTunes(freshly updated) because frankly, I don't even know if that will work! Fuzzy downgrader doesn't work because of my bootloader, just thought I'd mention it in case someone gave me that piece of advice. I've racked my brain here, almost ready to hit the Jack Daniels and tuck myself back into bed lol

I don't care if I'm 4.x or if I go back to 3.12/3.13, I just want to be able to use my new-to-me phone.

Here are the details that I saw when I ran f0recast
    Phone: 3gs
    Version: 4.1 (factory restore I believe)
    Firmware: 05.14.02
    Bootloader: 6.4

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

do u need unlock? if u need unlock then u cant get network as ur baseband is 5.14.02. if u dont need unlock then its another case. did u chose hactivate while making custom firmware? if u don need unlock then create another firmware without hactivation enable and flash it. it will work then.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't care about unlock at this time.... I just want it to be jailbroken and accept my sim card aka find a network!

I didn't see hacktivate as a option... I used pwnage Tool and just kept it on normal and used some ipsw that I thought was the correct one, obviously not lol Also what ipsw should I be using if I just want the phone to go back to a stage where I can use it to make calls and text

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

If you're using the phone on a valid carrier you hav to activate the phone FIRST.. then jailbreak. You will need to do a full restore in iTunes.. then let the phone activate.. and finally jailbreak with ra1n or pois0n.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Rogers is a valid carrier right? The phone might have come from the U.S. tho, I bought it second hand. So I should just do a full iTunes restore just however it wants to do it? I'm pretty sure that's what happened the first time and how I got in this situation in the first place.... I remember I tried to put my sim in after it installed the newest restore but it wouldn't find a network, so I tried to jailbreak, and now it still can't find the network.

When you say 'let the phone activate' you mean just do the restore through iTunes and let it run its own natural course right? I don't have to click some magical button that says activate or anything? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just asking hehe

I'm gonna try it fresh again in a few minutes and see what happens..... or is there some advice that says maybe don't?

I should have just left the phone the way it was when I got it, but I guess I wanted a fresh start

Alright just did another restore through iTunes and I left my sim card out for this one.....
    The restore is done, and now I've got the DFU screen on the phone (the one with the usb cord and the arrow pointing to 'iTunes') and my iTunes itself says "There is no SIM card installed in the iPhone you are attempting yo activate".....

So I eject the phone from iTunes, put the SIM card in, reconnect and voila SAME MESSAGE as before!

So how can I activate before I jailbreak? What should I do now? If I just jailbreak wont I basically have a unactivated & jailbroken phone?
    Last edited by Beardo82; 2010-10-29 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Dumb question BUT did u try ultrasn0w from Cydia? It sounds like u need to unlock ur phone...

Won't work, he's on 5.14.02.

You need a AT&T Sim card, or a phonebook sim.

Either way, you got to wait for an unlock before you can use with your rogers network.

Thanks

I thought I read a headline today saying 4.1 has been unlocked by ultrasn0w. I didn't read the article so I have no proof but I figure it's worth a try! The worst thing he would have to do is a restore which obviously isn't a problem...

Thanks

But hey, I'm all about trying new things even if their not confirmed! ;-)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just bought a AT&T sim off ebay..... so once I throw that in the phone and it completes its activation process can I then procees to jailbreak with ra1n or pois0n? I'm not looking for an unlock right now, just hoping to use the phone normally

Thanks

That is correct

Thanks

Wait...no...u HAVE to unlock the phone! Just cuz Rogers is a valid carrier doesn't mean the phone will automatically work. It's locked to AT&T so it has to be unlocked to use Rogers

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Awwwww really?
    EFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    So I'm stuck until they come up with an unlock for________ ?(whats the specific unlock that I'd be waiting for)

So there's no other way around this? Downgrade?

P.s Thanks for all ur help/answers so far, it's very settling

Thanks

Did u try ultrasn0w just for S&G?!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No, I didn't bother..... I highly doubt it'll work

So yah, what unlock should I be keeping a eye out for? 4.1 with a 05.14.02 baseband? Any idea when that could be lol

Thanks

Rumors are that they're waiting for ipads 4.2 fw to be released before the new unlock will be released. Apple said (a while ago) that 4.2 will be released in November but I haven't been following which beta 4.2 is currently available. So...hopefully next month sometime...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Fingers crossed for now!
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beardo82 View Post
    No, I didn't bother..... I highly doubt it'll work

So yah, what unlock should I be keeping a eye out for? 4.1 with a 05.14.02 baseband? Any idea when that could be lol
    Go to Rogers, talk to them. They might either locked it to Rogers or factory unlocked it but you may have to sign a Contract or renew your contract. Give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks

That's a good idea!!! It couldn't hurt to try!

Thanks

@Beardo82
    Looks like the iOS 4.2 Gold edition has been released which means the official (public) release shouldn't be too far behind. Also, unlock should follow soon after that!!! Let us know ur status.