Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Attempted Jailbreak and now stuck on boot screen

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Attempted Jailbreak and now stuck on boot screen
    Hey everyone,
    Here's my problem.

I was running a 3gs on 3.1.2 and I used pwnagetool to do my update. Everything went fine (no errors and iTunes said it was restarting the phone with the new restore), the main restore progress bar was really slow but I thought that was normal cuz it was going up another fireware, eventually it all went through and the phone shut off and came back on.... but now I keep waiting at the boot screen. I wait for about 5 mins, and then the 'busy rings' (whatever they're called) overlap the apple logo and then 2 mins after that the phone shuts off and starts to try and reboot again.

I tried to use Tinyumbrella to kick the phone outta this funk, but because the phone isn't in DFU it won't let me get out of it! I have no clue what to do now..... does anyone know what I can do? Or do I have a really expensive paper weight that I just bought?

Eagerly hoping someone can help, thanks!

Ps I updated to the most curent iTunes before I did any of this

I finally got it to enter DFU and got iTunes to recognize it..... I did the power + home restart, then kept my finger on the home button, plugged the cord into the usb and kept pressing home for 90 seconds or so.... I kept researching after my initial post and found that some people had phones with very similar issues (obviously) and that after a 90 second to 2 minute continuous hold on the home button while recently connecting to the computer turned out to be the only way to get back to DFU. So for anyone that has this problem in the future, just keep holding that home button down lol

I was gonna just delete the original post, but maybe this will be handy to someone else?

Sooooooo now I'm locked outta the phone! I'm stuck at the emergency screen and the sim that I was using before hand is now coming up as not activated!

Any help on what steps I can take now? I've tried googling the **** outta this but I''m still pretty confused!

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by Beardo82; 2010-10-28 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardo82
    Sooooooo now I'm locked outta the phone! I'm stuck at the emergency screen and the sim that I was using before hand is now coming up as not activated!

Any help on what steps I can take now? I've tried googling the **** outta this but I''m still pretty confused!

Thanks for any help
    It sounds like your custom firmware was not activated. There are two methods of activation:

1) Activate using iTunes using a legit SIM carrier like AT&T after restoring the custom firmware.

2) Hacktivate. When creating your custom firmware, select "Expert Mode" and select "Activate the phone" under General Settings.

-activate.png

You will need to recreate your custom firmware, open iTunes 10.0.1.22, and then restore your custom firmware you re-created.
    Last edited by reddawg; 2010-10-29 at 09:40 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown