Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PwnageTool in windows, success (finally)

Default PwnageTool in windows, success (finally)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bellyfrog For This Useful Post:

relkorama (2010-10-26)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Since you have to find or make a cooked firmware before you can use this method, am I correct in assuming the reason you can't just restore the custom ipsw on the windows machine is that part of the exploit happens in Pwnage assisting you into DFU, which previously could not be replicated on windows?

Correct. This method replicates the PwnageTool DFU exploit under Windows by using irecovery and Greenpois0n to put the exploit on the phone. As long as you can get your hands on a 4.1 custom ipsw then you're good to go

I would upload one but it seems futile as it's against forum rules to post the link. I could try to upload one overnight to mediafire and if people need it they can PM me for the link I guess? I'll try to do that but no promises, my internet is very very bad (think dialup) so I can only try.

If you want to get it done quickly, your best bet is downloading VMWare and Mac OS X which you can find tutorials for on google.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This should only be a one time thing for those that manage to get pwnaged jailbroken. Previously, loading a custom firmware allowed future custom firmwares to be loaded without going into DFU mode, so I'm assuming this feature will continue. (Once jailbroken, always jailbroken)

I just tried this on my apple tv but it does not work

Quote Originally Posted by zeljkotv View Post
    I just tried this on my apple tv but it does not work
    No offense but I would imagine you got one of the steps wrong. It is a tough procedure after all.

And, you're apple tv is 2g right?

Last edited by golfing7861; 2010-10-25 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Didnt read the link provided oops

I did exactly upto
    3. Run greenpois0n - it will guide you to DFU mode,
    the countdown stops at 8 for the last step of DFU, then jailbreak buttom appears. Do I release the Home button then click jailbreak or not?

After I release the home button then click jailbreak, i do get white screen, but jailbreak fail

What should I do?

Thank you.
    Last edited by zhulinda; 2010-10-26 at 12:03 AM.

I have problem at step 6. After I enter irecovery -s I can enter only one line and irecovery quit. I need to type again i recovery -s so I can enter 2nd line. And it will not reboot apple tv...

I get jailbreak success from greenpoison but then apple tv is restarted and not in dfu or recovery mode...

I read some posts. do i have to use 32bit os? I'm using win 7 64bit, and I think that's where the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by zhulinda View Post
    I read some posts. do i have to use 32bit os? I'm using win 7 64bit, and I think that's where the problem is.
    I had the same problem on Windows 7 64 bit. I did it on a PC with Windows XP 32 bit and it worked first time. Though I have heard other people have had no problem on Windows 7 64 bit so I'm not sure. That does appear to be the problem though.

EDIT - you could try running GP in a few different compatibility modes. I tried on Windows XP SP3 compatibility and it didn't work but there's a chance some of the other settings may work.

Quote Originally Posted by bellyfrog View Post
    I had the same problem on Windows 7 64 bit. I did it on a PC with Windows XP 32 bit and it worked first time. Though I have heard other people have had no problem on Windows 7 64 bit so I'm not sure. That does appear to be the problem though.

EDIT - you could try running GP in a few different compatibility modes. I tried on Windows XP SP3 compatibility and it didn't work but there's a chance some of the other settings may work.
    I will try it on win7 32bit tonight. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by zeljkotv View Post
    I have problem at step 6. After I enter irecovery -s I can enter only one line and irecovery quit. I need to type again i recovery -s so I can enter 2nd line. And it will not reboot apple tv...

I get jailbreak success from greenpoison but then apple tv is restarted and not in dfu or recovery mode...
    I responded in the other thread

doesn't work. same problem. Couldn't get Greenpoison to jailbreak, always show jailbreak failed

Quote Originally Posted by bellyfrog View Post
    5. irecovery -f iBSS
    iBSS should be replaced with the name of the iBSS that you just extracted from the pwnagetool image - ie iBSS.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu
    6. At a command prompt: irecovery -s
    1. setenv boot-args 0
    2. saveenv
    3. go image decrypt 0x41000000
    4. go jump 0x41000040
    5. /exit
    At the "go jump" point your device should appear to reboot. Whether it goes back to a white screen or shows the Connect to iTunes screen depends on the firmware image used.
    7. Shift + Restore your PwnageTool cooked firmware from iTunes.
    Ok .. I'm having some major issues here. I have followed your instructions to the "T" .. but something just does not add up or work !!

I have an iPhone 4 .. so the iBSS file I'm using from my custom iOS 4.1 firmware is iBSS.n90ap.RELEASE.dfu .. so, after running the greenpois0n exploit, my iDevice ends up with the white screen.. Jailbreak Complete .. no issues.

Finishing the rest of the iRecovery commands .. this is where it gets weird. After I execute the command "go jump 0x41000040", my iDevice does that like reboot flash you mentioned, but it does not come up either White Screen or into Recovery Mode .. the screen on the iDevice is RED !!!!

I execute iTunes, it states that the iDevice is in recovery mode, Shift-Restore, select my Custom IPSW .. when iTunes states that its preparing the iPhone for recovery, the iDevice screen just goes from RED to BLUE and iTune just sits there .. doing NOTHING !!!!

I have tried your directions now 5 times with absolutely no success .. ALL times end with the same result of the iDevice having a BLUE screen and nothing happening.

So .. did I miss something here ???

Quote Originally Posted by LordGeek View Post
    Ok .. I'm having some major issues here. I have followed your instructions to the "T" .. but something just does not add up or work !!

I have an iPhone 4 .. so the iBSS file I'm using from my custom iOS 4.1 firmware is iBSS.n90ap.RELEASE.dfu .. so, after running the greenpois0n exploit, my iDevice ends up with the white screen.. Jailbreak Complete .. no issues.

Finishing the rest of the iRecovery commands .. this is where it gets weird. After I execute the command "go jump 0x41000040", my iDevice does that like reboot flash you mentioned, but it does not come up either White Screen or into Recovery Mode .. the screen on the iDevice is RED !!!!

I execute iTunes, it states that the iDevice is in recovery mode, Shift-Restore, select my Custom IPSW .. when iTunes states that its preparing the iPhone for recovery, the iDevice screen just goes from RED to BLUE and iTune just sits there .. doing NOTHING !!!!

I have tried your directions now 5 times with absolutely no success .. ALL times end with the same result of the iDevice having a BLUE screen and nothing happening.

So .. did I miss something here ???
    From the way you've written your post, I wonder did you do the iBSS step before or after the GP jailbreak? It should be done after.

Also, if you are having trouble with this method on IP4, you can always use TinyUmbrella to update to 4.1 and just jailbreak with GreenPoison or limera1n (TinyUmbrella preserves your baseband), there's no need to do this special PwnageTool jailbreak (which is much more hassle).

doesn't work. same problem. Couldn't get Greenpoison to jailbreak, always show jailbreak failed
    A few things to try with Greenpois0n is different USB ports, different USB cables if you have them, and any PC you can get to. Apparently Greenpois0n is very sensitive with USB timing on the device which can cause it to fail.

Not sure what else to suggest, I had the same problem on my machine but as I said swapping PCs worked for me.
    Last edited by bellyfrog; 2010-10-26 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This worked perfect for me!

iPhone 3GS
    Windows XP - 32bit.

it worked finally. I used GP rc3 rather than rc4.

it worked finally. I used GP rc3 rather than rc4.
    Nice

I could use some help here, I followed the procedure exactly and everything went well up until the itunes restore part. I keep getting an error 21 in recovery mode, and error 1600 in dfu mode. Anyone ran into this issue after performing these steps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast