Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No Jailbreak after Jailbreak iPhone 4.1

Default No Jailbreak after Jailbreak iPhone 4.1
    Long Story, short result: My Phone is still not jailbroken.

I had a iPhone 4 with Firmware 4.0.2.

I used Pwnage Tool to update and preserve my baseband.
    Created custom firmware, did the restore and used my backup.
    My mac crashed due to running out of space.

After couple errors and wrong backups, I finally had it upgraded and the backup back. However, Cydia had the lock error, Error 13 Permission Denied:

Cydia error (Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied))? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

I would say that this probably means that the jailbreak wasn't successful because Cydia doesnt have writing permissions. I couldn't also change the permission of Cydia, bcs I didn't have SSH installed.

After doing the same again and including OpenSSH and MobileTerminal I still had the same problems. mobileTerminal wouldn'T start and SSH Server is apparently not running.

My diagnosis would be that the Jailbreak was unsuccessful, but I really would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks

Make sure you are using PwnageTool 4.1.2 and re-create your custom 4.1 firmware for your iPhone 4. Make sure you put your iPhone 4 into DFU mode using PwnageTool and not manually outside of PwnageTool, otherwise iTunes will not be able to restore your custom firmware. PwnageTools modifies the DFU mode so iTunes can install a custom firmware on a pre-jailbroken iPhone.

Restore your custom firmware using iTunes 10.1.0.22 and set your iPhone 4 up as a new phone. Do not restore from backup. Run Cydia and let it re-organize and install essential updates. You may need to restart Cydia twice.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown