Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: pwn on mac, restore windows?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default pwn on mac, restore windows?
    I currently use itunes on Windows. Can I use pwnage tool 4.1 on a mac to upgrade to 4.1 (without upgrading the baseband), then restore from my backup on windows?

I'm currently at 3.1.3, jb by Spirit. I am using AT&T, but would like to preserve the unlock for when I travel overseas...

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Make sure you have shsh blogs for atleast 4.0.1 or 4.0.2, just in case if it doesn't work out, then you can fall back to a firmware which has an unlockable baseband.

You should be able to use pwnage on the Mac to create the custom IPSW. Stop at the DFU step.

Transfer the custom ipsw to your windows machine and do the restore from there, starting from the DFU step (shift-restore instead of option-restore on windows to pick your custom ipsw). Then the windows itunes will take care of restoring from your backup after it restores using the custom ipsw.

Note I haven't made the jump to 4.1 yet so I'm assuming this will work. This has been the process I've used on my 3gs since 3.0 days.

I'm not sure if you can restore firmware on one box then restore from backup on another. Perhaps someone else can elaborate on that

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

This DFU instructed by Pwnage tools 4.1 is not an usual DFU, you should use Mac to restore to the custom firmware.

As long as you put the iPhone into DFU mode using PwnageTool, then disconnect it from the Mac and plug it into the PC and shift+restore to the custom firmware there still in this exploited DFU mode it technically should work.

Haven't tested it of course but there's no reason why it shouldn't work (unless disconnecting your device somehow removes the exploit from the phone).

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Why not authorize the mac, transfer your apps, backup, restore with Pwnage and mac iTunes, then deauthorize the mac? Then you can sync with the windows machine. That's what I do anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,646 Times in 8,026 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suseleto View Post
    I currently use itunes on Windows. Can I use pwnage tool 4.1 on a mac to upgrade to 4.1 (without upgrading the baseband), then restore from my backup on windows?

I'm currently at 3.1.3, jb by Spirit. I am using AT&T, but would like to preserve the unlock for when I travel overseas...

Thanks!
    Yes is the answer you are looking for. You can update to 4.1 using pwnage tool on Mac. Once the process is complete you can then take the phone to your windows computer and restore your backup.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks to all. I had problems using Pwnage tool to install, as the mac I was using was actually a virtual mac running on VMWare on top of Linux. For some reason, the virtual mac couldn't successfully inject the limera1n exploit onto my 3gs. It told me that it had successfully done so, but iTunes (on both the virtual mac and on Windows XP) kept throwing a 1600 error when I tried to install the pwned firmware.

I finally succeeded by copying the pwned 4.1 firmware over to a windows box and using the newest version (0.96b2) of redsnow for windows to install the custom, pwned firmware. So now my phone is running 4.1 with baseband 5.12.01.

Quote Originally Posted by suseleto View Post
    Thanks to all. I had problems using Pwnage tool to install, as the mac I was using was actually a virtual mac running on VMWare on top of Linux. For some reason, the virtual mac couldn't successfully inject the limera1n exploit onto my 3gs. It told me that it had successfully done so, but iTunes (on both the virtual mac and on Windows XP) kept throwing a 1600 error when I tried to install the pwned firmware.

I finally succeeded by copying the pwned 4.1 firmware over to a windows box and using the newest version (0.96b2) of redsnow for windows to install the custom, pwned firmware. So now my phone is running 4.1 with baseband 5.12.01.
    Yeah my SlackWare box is real picky about stuff like that too. I hate having to install all the DLL files when i try to running a winblows program in wiNE. Annoying as hell i tell ya.
    No signature spam or links

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, one more update. After I realized that 6 icon dock, ikeyex, and a few other minor tweaks were all broken in ios4, I decided to go back to 3.1.3. (I've got SHSHs for every firmware since 3.1.3). So after all that, I'm back where I started, same baseband 5.12.01. I'll wait until the jb apps that I use are ported to IOS4 before going back.

FWIW, using the new version of firmware umbrella was quite easy and nice. It worked like a charm. Many thanks to Semaphore.