Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Run pwnagetool in windows

Default Run pwnagetool in windows
    Does using VirtualBox allow you to run Pwnagetool 4.1 on windows?

And does anyone know when iOS 4.2 comes out?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I highly doubt it. Pick up a dell 10v for $250 and stick Mac OSX on it. Works like a charm!

4.2 is expected in November.

FYI you could always find someone with a Mac to create a firmware for you, then share it over dropbox or something. Then you can restore with your PC.
    Last edited by z6joker9; 2010-10-21 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    I highly doubt it. Pick up a dell 10v for $250 and stick Mac OSX on it. Works like a charm!

4.2 is expected in November.

FYI you could always find someone with a Mac to create a firmware for you, then share it over dropbox or something. Then you can restore with your PC.
    Do you know if Mac OSX works on any computer or just specific kind that got ported?

And november when?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Mac OSX works on a handful of configurations... the reason I picked out the Dell 10v (not Dell 10) is because they are cheap, they accept OSX pretty easily, and there is a lot of support for making them a hackintosh and applying updates.

No idea when in November. Sooner the better; my iPad is hungry for some 4.x.

I'm hungry for 4.2 with a unlock.

4.0.1 sucks up a lot of battery + slow performance on a 3GS.

My computer is built by me, so I don't know if it's compatible.

How do you check if it's compatible?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Well, this could help you get started: Hackintosh Instructions, Hackintosh How To Guides @ Hackintosh.com

But generally you pick out very specific components to get Mac OSX to boot, and it's unlikely that your custom rig just happened to have all compatible parts. Again, try to pick up a cheap 10v on ebay and you'll be running OSX an hour after you get it.

Eh I guess I'll go to a local best buy store and do it from there LOL

Use their mac, and run pwnagetool on it =\

You can also find VMWare images of OS X. VMWare player is free and runs under windows. If you only need a Mac for jailbreaking this is a cost-effective solution

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mael View Post
    You can also find VMWare images of OS X. VMWare player is free and runs under windows. If you only need a Mac for jailbreaking this is a cost-effective solution
    This is also illegal because you are not purchasing a legal copy of OS X.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by mael View Post
    It also doesn't work (PwnageTool cannot boot the DFU exploit when running through VMware)

I'm probably going to best buy on Monday.

your Best Buy allows you to do that? I went in there Thursday night and they told me I wasn't allowed to make modifications to their computers. haha

There is now a way to jailbreak 3GS phones using windows. I don't know if this method works for iPhone 4 or iPhone 3G but it worked perfectly on my 3GS.

You need to get someone to provide you with a custom firmware made by PwnageTool 4.1.2 or create one yourself using VMware/hackintosh, then run a bunch of procedures on your windows machine (not for the faint hearted) and then you can use windows iTunes to shift+restore to the custom firmware.

I can link the procedure if people are interested but someone else on these forums told me about it and they might have linked it somewhere else.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bellyfrog View Post
    There is now a way to jailbreak 3GS phones using windows. I don't know if this method works for iPhone 4 or iPhone 3G but it worked perfectly on my 3GS.

You need to get someone to provide you with a custom firmware made by PwnageTool 4.1.2 or create one yourself using VMware/hackintosh, then run a bunch of procedures on your windows machine (not for the faint hearted) and then you can use windows iTunes to shift+restore to the custom firmware.

I can link the procedure if people are interested but someone else on these forums told me about it and they might have linked it somewhere else.
    what's the easiest way to get the newly created custom ipsw out of the mac os x virtual machine? Upload it to the web, download to windows pc, shift restore on windows with itunes??

Quote Originally Posted by cyph View Post
    what's the easiest way to get the newly created custom ipsw out of the mac os x virtual machine? Upload it to the web, download to windows pc, shift restore on windows with itunes??
    USB flash drive is the easiest way. Your way would work too but take longer. You could also just download one instead of going through the VM hassle.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i created one on vmware osx image and transferred it via vmware shared folders to my pc and then shift-restore.