Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PT 4.1 - Update just NOR? - Can you update AND keep Music/Apps?

Default PT 4.1 - Update just NOR? - Can you update AND keep Music/Apps?
    Hi, I was talking to a few people and I had a questions regarding updating from 4.0 to 4.1 using a custom IPSW. I will need to use PwnageTool 4.1 to keep my BB.

I would like to update, but I would also like too keep my music and apps. Apps like cydia apps will of course be lost even if you sync with be lost if you restore.

Is it possible to update using a custom IPSW and not loose all your music and apps? If so, How do you do it? It is a 3GS old bootrom.

Thank You!
    Last edited by Freebeer187; 2010-10-20 at 08:08 PM.

Loose or lose? - everyone seems to spell that wrong!!

To answer though, you should do a sync in itunes before the restore. This will do a backup of your phone. After you have done the custom restore you will get asked if you want to restore your phone from backup (this is a different type of restore!!), just select the restore for your phone (it should give the name of the phone and date the backup was done), and it will then resync your library and apps, highscores etc.

If you backup your contacts with itunes then these will be restored too.

Cydia apps you can just re-add these manually.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

Freebeer187 (2010-10-21)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Lol westonben...spelling police. It's ok, I'm part of the grammar police squad.

@OP, do what he says. Just restore from back up and/or sync after restore to get music/apps back on. Contacts are from the back up.

Classic