Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pwnagetool 4.1

Default Pwnagetool 4.1
    The new tool is allegedly being released today. I wonder if it will work on 4.x firmwares only or any phone. Will it need to be on a previously jailbroken phone?

same question here... and when will it be released??

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Pwnage works differently than others. It pre-jailbreaks the firmware and then removes the baseband update, allowing you to restore to this firmware through iTunes, typically in DFU mode. When your iPhone finishes the restore, that's it, you're jailbroken. Typically this method let's you do other stuff, like change the boot logo, since you're editing the firmware before it goes on the device.

Once you've restored with one of these jailbroken firmwares, you can restore to following pwnaged firmwares without going into DFU mode, since the custom firmware will allow new hacked firmware.

This also means that you don't necessarily need Mac to use it today. Someone could run the firmware you need through Pwnage and then share it with you, allowing you to restore with a windows machine... Though im not sure mmi allows firmware sharing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to z6joker9 For This Useful Post:

Subway76 (2010-10-18)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well Sunday has come and gone. I guess this means pwnage has been delayed?

why but ?
    been delayed without any reason or notice?

I don't think it's been delayed. Musclenerd's tweets were ambiguous at best, he obviously never intended to release it today. It's obviously coming though. Just wait.

Newbie question but, will having a custom firmware instead of the original one allow for an unlock on 05.14.02? Or will the baseband remain the same none the less?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

With pwnagetool, you can upgrade from an older firmware/baseband to a newer firmware without upgrading the baseband. Thus, if you have a currently unlockable baseband, you can upgrade firmwares and keep your unlocked baseband. It doesn't allow the baseband to become unlocked... in fact, it does absolutely nothing to the baseband. That's what's great about it.

I realize that for most of you I am about to ask a ridiculous question BUT here goes as most of what I read is way too technical for me.
    I jb my Iphone4 with Jailbreakme.com and am currently on 4.0.1, I have no desire to switch carriers away from AT&T. Is there any upside for me to wait for the pwnage or should I simply jb now using greenpois0n or limera1? Thanks...and please keep your answer as idiot-proof as possible.

pretty sure pwnage is just for people with unlocked phones. or phone from different carriers who want to use att or whatever. in any case, im with rogers and i used limera1n and everything is fine.

ps: where is pwnage 4.1! i want to jailbreak my appletv

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Well, you never know if you'll need it to be unlocked... Perhaps for international travel, perhaps for resell purposes. That being said, if you're impatient, just restore to 4.1 using tinyumbrella. TU can prevent baseband upgrades on iPhone 4. Then jailbreak with GP or limera1n. That's what I did. Same result as using Pwnage, though Pwnage is a bit easier. There are plenty of tutorials around. I'm typing with my thumbs or else I'd link you to one.

i was pwnage specific until the jailbreak me came out and it was so easy, theyre late on their launches and im impatient but they do great work, dont get me wrong.

Apart from eagerly awaiting a release as soon as can be, I'm also really hoping for a fix to the 'add custom repos' / packages feature in PwnageTool.

For ages now PwnageTool has seemingly offered the ability to add-in URLs for specific repo's, then to download packages from them and have those packages precompiled into the .IPSW that PwnageTool creates. Except... it only seems to work with the repo's which are hardcoded into PwnageTool as it comes. Lots of people have been seeing this and most have long since given up trying.

Even being able to precompile ultrasn0w from Dev Team's own repo666 would be great, instead of having to manually add it through Cydia after the phone has been JB.

Shame really as the adding-packages-function works fine in sn0wbreeze...assuming one can put up with all the additional hurt which that app brings (broken hacktivation, YouTube not working etc).

Cheers,

Steve

"PwnageTool screen about to get a lot more crowded again due to limera1n exploit Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter (unlockers win most)"

Looks like we're getting there!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

mj0528 (2010-10-21)

npwnagetool 4.1 is coming soo guys.. just be patient... i've tried it myself to restore my iphone 3gs new bootrom. and it works perfectly... just wait till it is released..
    for those on 3gs ...just wait.. it is worth it

4.1 is out...check the dev-team's blog for the torrent link.

It's out now, check Dev Team Blog for link to torrent file:

Dev-Team Blog

But.... sigh... adding custom repo's in Expert Mode **still** doesn't work.

Don't get me wrong I'm eternally grateful for PwnageTool but it's so frustrating to have such really useful functionality right in-your-face yet not working.

How cool would it be to pre-compile ultrasn0w & SBSettings into our .IPSW for example if only the sources could be added using Manage Sources. Is there a .plist somewhere in the PwnageTool package we could try editing-in say repo666.ultrasn0w.com and seeing if that worked?

The repo's which come preinstalled / selectable form the pulldown menu in PwnageTool (Expert Mode > Cydia Settings > Manage source) seem to work (Saurik. BigBoss...) but the packages I'm after aren't on those repo's so I need to add a couple in.

Once again - eternally grateful guys, but could someone please have a look at the whole adding sources / packages thing when they have a second please?

Cheers,

Steve

Seems like Dev Team's servers are being occasionally SlashDotted.

Here's the Torrent link in case anyone has trouble reaching the blog:

http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/589...97.TPB.torrent

Steve
    Last edited by briangriffin; 2010-10-20 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

OK Devs... hurry up and make something cool for my Apple TV lol

Hmmm, "Enable baseband update" is now grayed out and unavailable in expert mode (when selecting a 3G IPSW anyway). So I assume that means it won't be updated.

Hasn't that always been the way with the 3G/S ? (i.e only available on the 2G).

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast