Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need to update from 3.1.3 to 4.01 on 3GS

Default Need to update from 3.1.3 to 4.01 on 3GS
    Hi,

I just got a iPhone 3GS running on version 3.1.3. How can I update to 4.01 and then jailbreak? I tried to custom update via iTunes but keep on getting error message "3194." Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Are u using tiny umbrella? If so I'm guessing u must have blobs saved in cydia. After choosing the new firmware in the drop down box put iPhone in dfu mode and it should work. If not try another computer as there are problems with 64bit or it could be 32bit that has the issue can't remember now.

Have you got a 3GS with old bootrom? If so you could go to 4.0 with custom firmware.

Yes, I have got old bootrom but whenever I tried to update via custom firmware 4.0, iTunes verify's the firmwire and gives me the error message "3194". Am I missing any step here that might resolve this issue?

You need to jailbreak the phone first. Use iTunes 9.0 or 9.1 only and use spirit.

Once jailbroken, install spirit2pwn from woowiz repo. Once done, update iTunes back to 10 and restore to custom firmware for 4.0.

I had jailbroken the phone via Jailbreakme.com. Can I still proceed with spirit2pwn from woowiz repo?

No you can't, you are going to have to restore with shsh files on store. Which ones hsveyou got?

How do I check which shsh files I have got and what is the process for restoring?

There are lots of guides written up to talk you through it.

Basically, start by downloading tinyumbrella, hook up your phone, go to advanced options and try to save each 3GS option from cydia.

I will try to follow your instructions. I really appreciate your help.