Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anyone upgraded to 4.1 with unofficial pwnagetool?

Default Anyone upgraded to 4.1 with unofficial pwnagetool?
    I just wondered if anyone had used the unofficial version of pwnagetool to go to 4.1? I have a 3GS phone I am selling and would prefer to get it on the latest version of software first.

BTW, it's already pwn'd on 4.0.

Thanks

Would that work for 3G as well? Still a bit gun shy to slow my iPhone 3G down anymore since 4.0 came out, sent it to a crawl.

Why in PwnageTool 4.0 and 4.01 is there nothing for iPhone 3G?
    PS. It doesn't seem to like my iTunes 10
    Last edited by RocketshipVirus; 2010-09-13 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Added info

Ok, I tried it and nearly bricked the iPhone. Took 3 hrs to get back to a stable 4.0.1

Avoid!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geris View Post
    No links to custom firmware
    I pretty sure that linking to a custom firmware is not allowed on this site.
    Last edited by Cer0; 2010-09-16 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Link removed
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    will this work with window!! i tried it but i couldn't get it to open(pwnagefile) ,
    (iphone 3GS 4.1)

Plus the tool doesn't work

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Do not link to custom firmware.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Thanks

If you guy's want a working 4.1 3G PM me I have a perfect working bundle..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I am running my 3Gs right now with 4.1 jailbroken with the unofficial pwnage tool. However, it has some serious quirks that will require me to redo it when a suitable Mac tool comes out. For instance, apps won't run, and the phone requires a hard reboot when I plug it into my 1 amp car charger, as I discovered the other day. Safari would not run, and I had to download a fix for that from a weird source on Cydia. And these are just 2 problems I've noticed. The moral of the story is to stay away from the unofficial pwnage tool. It might work, but major issues are most likely going to be lurking right under the surface.

Sounds like a Pwnagetool should be out Sunday. Pm me if want me to send you a Snowbreeze 4.1 firmware. It was a bit buggy to activate but working perfectly now installed. Couldn't get rid of the stupid snowflake on boot though...

Using lizards821's YouTube video as a guide, I tried upgrading to 4.1 on my 3G with the unofficial PwnageTool bundle and it all worked: Cydia, hacktivation, unlocking w/ultrasn0w etc. -but- I couldn't restore from a backup or create a new backup with iTunes. I would get the "session could not be started" error. Tried the info.plist version change too; no go. So I went back to 4.0 where everything still works.

Based on what I've read, it may be a hacktivation issue on PwnageTool 4.0.1's part with iOS 4.1. So I'm going to try the lockdownd patch next which does the hacktivation outside of PwnageTool, since that seems to be working for a lot of folks on the ih8sn0w forums.

I was thinking of simply waiting for the new PwnageTool, but it sounds like us 3G users are being left out in the cold this round. Though maybe the new one will address this problem when creating the ipsw...

What's Jailbreak? poorlyIphone3gs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hi im newbie, hope this is in the right spot for this post!
    I got iphone off ebay, had it unlocked and everything was fine...till everything on the phone had the other girls passwords etc, so i decided to restore, wehich i have done and i think i may have upgraded to the newest version at the same time =0
    Basically i havent backed up anything i am new to this and not savy at all...how can i get back to downgrade and make iot just work again?
    Please any help would be appreciated ty Emma

Thanks
    Thanked 17,646 Times in 8,026 Posts

If you upgraded to 4.1 then you will not be able to unlock again yet. You can use limera1n or greenpoison to jailbreak and activate but will have to wait for a new unlock to come out.

What's Jailbreak? poorlyIphone3gs's Avatar
    Thanks
    tiny umberella...how do i find versions below 4.0 i have done all the writeup says but its only offering for my iphone the 4.1 shshs

Thanks
    Thanked 17,646 Times in 8,026 Posts

If you didnt save them when Apple was still signing them then it is too late now. Apple is currently only signing 4.1.