Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pwnagetool vs Sn0wbreeze

Default Pwnagetool vs Sn0wbreeze
    So I've cooked custom firmware in both PwnageTool and Sn0wbreeze before and have noticed something strange....

The custom firmware cooked by PwnageTool is a significantly large file, by almost 30MB and it includes an extra .dmg within the ipsw. It removed the 018-6488-15.dmg (12.6MB) from the ipsw file (which is even included in the original FW). This seems concerning like something is being removed that should be there....but at the same time the 08-6482-14.dmg is 15MB larger in the custom FW, which makes me think it's combining them somehow?

Has anyone else noticed this? Are the ones made in Sn0wbreeze inferior or is it just the different technology each program uses to jailbreak the firmware?
    Last edited by amsgator; 2010-09-01 at 11:45 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The original program is pwnagetool which is made by The Dev Team. Sn0wbreeze is just pwnagetool ported to Windows by a guy (ih8sn0w) not affiliated with The Dev Team, so yes, in some sense, it is inferior.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

But what is the difference in the file sizes? 20 MB is a lot to be "missing," including the one dmg file that is either missing or combined or who knows what.

Original 3.1.3 239.1MB
    Pwnagetool 3.1.3 250.9MB
    Sn0wbreeze 3.1.3 239.3MB
    Last edited by amsgator; 2010-09-02 at 02:36 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I don't know. Maybe you set two different root partition sizes.

the partition on the sn0wbreeze is 750 (min) , pwnagetool is 500 (min)

just concerned if i try to reinstall with the sn0wbreeze one it will be messed up. seems weird that one dmg is gone and it's so much smaller than the pwnagetool one.
    Last edited by amsgator; 2010-09-02 at 02:40 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yeah, what I said doesn't make any sense anyway. The root partition size is just a number in the firmware, it doesn't actually take up space. You should hold out for someone who knows a bit more than me ;p

lol. I'm sure you know a lot, just maybe not about cooking FW. If someone else has made firmware with sn0wbreeze and successfully pwned with it, please check what size your ipsw is!!!

SB FW with 2 DMG files

Original FW with 3 DMG files
    Last edited by amsgator; 2010-09-02 at 03:36 AM.