Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS Old Bootrom Jailbreak 4.0.2

yes, but this sucks.. what new jailbreak is that? if i cannot jailbreak a new device then it mens that this are only updates to the last jailbreak..anyway, maybe we get lucky with greenpoison..

iPhone? More like MyPhone vporter's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3gs_jb View Post
    I'm in a similar spot where I tried basically everything from the 4.0.2/4.0.1 swap, etc and it seems I'm out of luck on jailbreaking an unjailbroken 4.0.2 3gs. I ended up just grabbing umbrella and at least saving my SHSH with cydia in the hopes that someday it might help, but I've thrown in the towel for now. Looks like even all the 4.1 hacks require you to have a prejailbroken 3gs
    I did the same thing with Umbrella. I'm just hoping something comes out that doesn't require a jailbreak a jailbreak

Quote Originally Posted by erossore View Post
    yes, but this sucks.. what new jailbreak is that? if i cannot jailbreak a new device then it mens that this are only updates to the last jailbreak..anyway, maybe we get lucky with greenpoison..
    I soooooo agree with you!!! However, I was reading greenpoison was a phishing site, or the fake one or whatever so be careful you go to the right one, let me know how you do with it!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

after 2 weeks of trying this Jailbreak iPhone 3GS on iOS 4.0.2 with PwnageTool [How to Guide] | Redmond Pie stuff and athoer more i still have a 3gs on 4.0.2 that has never been jailbroken, and it seemn that will remain this way...
    i was wondering why this Redmond Pie din not write in his tutorial that you must have been jailbreaken before ??
    anyway, the question was : shoud i update to 4.1 seence i think there will never be a jailbreak for 4.0.2 ?
    thak you
    Don't update to 4.1 if you intend on unlocking. While a new jailbreak is on the way, an unlock isn't, so you'll need to stay at the baseband version you're at now if you want to use your phone with another carrier.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Default please help?
    Hello Everyone,

I am having trouble jailbreaking (And then after that unlocking) my iPhone. I just got it from a friend yesterday who was using it with Rogers (in Canada). I have been searching and trying things all day, however, I am just getting overwhelmed and could really use someone's help to just give me instructions of what to do instead of trying to interpret bits and pieces from different sites.

I have a contract with Fido, so I just want to jailbreak then unlock my phone so I can use calling/texting/WiFi on the phone.

Specs:
    - iPhone 3GS
    - Version: 4.0.2 (8A400)
    - Modem Firmware: 05.13.04
    - bootrom: old 359.3 (I BELIEVE.. I tried many times to boot to DFU mode, but I believe it only ever went to recovery.. I don't know if the bootrom showing up in recovery has the potential to be different than that showing up in DFU)

-------------------
    update: I just ran f0recast and received the following results (if this helps further)
    (if I left a spot blank that's because it was left blank)

Baseband: 05.13.04
    Bootloader: 6.4
    Model: MB718
    Jailbreakable?:
    Unlockable?: NO
    Tethere?: Maybe - Depends if Refurb
    iPhone 3GS (Firmware: 4.0.2) Connected
    Last edited by teec; 2010-09-27 at 11:01 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teec View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I am having trouble jailbreaking (And then after that unlocking) my iPhone. I just got it from a friend yesterday who was using it with Rogers (in Canada). I have been searching and trying things all day, however, I am just getting overwhelmed and could really use someone's help to just give me instructions of what to do instead of trying to interpret bits and pieces from different sites.

I have a contract with Fido, so I just want to jailbreak then unlock my phone so I can use calling/texting/WiFi on the phone.

Specs:
    - iPhone 3GS
    - Version: 4.0.2 (8A400)
    - Modem Firmware: 05.13.04
    - bootrom: old 359.3 (I BELIEVE.. I tried many times to boot to DFU mode, but I believe it only ever went to recovery.. I don't know if the bootrom showing up in recovery has the potential to be different than that showing up in DFU)

-------------------
    update: I just ran f0recast and received the following results (if this helps further)
    (if I left a spot blank that's because it was left blank)

Baseband: 05.13.04
    Bootloader: 6.4
    Model: MB718
    Jailbreakable?:
    Unlockable?: NO
    Tethere?: Maybe - Depends if Refurb
    iPhone 3GS (Firmware: 4.0.2) Connected
    Unless you can downgrade, there's no way for to jailbreak right now. Your phone does have the old bootrom which is good, but in order for the phone to accept custom firmwares, it needs to be already jailbroken or at 3.1.2 or below. Since you are neither, you can't jailbreak.

Be warned though, you shouldn't update/restore to 4.1 either. If you do, you'll end up with a baseband that is not unlockable. Right now, all you can do is wait and see what is released. You might need to use some tricks when the jailbreak is released in case it doesn't support the firmware your phone is on now (that 'trick' is to remove the baseband upgrade from the 4.1 firmware, but look into that later if/when it's needed).

Is there any way for me to downgrade and then be able to jailbreak?

I've seen multiple sites mentioning 3.1.2 SHSH blobs, and I don't know if that's on the right track or not, but obviously I don't think I have those since I just got the iPhone with the specs I listed above (and it was never jailbroken nor unlocked before).

I'm asking my friend now if he has any backups of his iPhone saved on his computer (in case he did the upgrade to 4.0.2 himself). If he does.. would these help?
    Last edited by teec; 2010-09-27 at 11:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Even if he has SHSH backed up he cannot share them with you. They are device specific. You are just going to have to wait like dhamien said.

Well he had this exact iPhone before me (like.. I bought it off of him) that's why I thought it could work.

If I do need to wait.. does anyone know how long it usually takes for them to come out with a jailbreak? Or if they're even actively trying to get one?

Thanks

Ahh, well in that case then yes, if he saved SHSH at any time then you can use them. Download tiny umbrella, click on advanced and try to save SHSH for 4.0.1 or lower.

Exclamation Help
    Ok first, I am a tech savvy person, But jailbreaking an Iphone is new to me. Everything i have found online and tried isent working. As far as i know here is what i have. I have a IPhone 3gs with old bootrom. running 4.0.2. and my pc is running windows 7. can some one please tell me how to jail break this damn thing. let me know if you need more info.

Thanks

You need SHSH to downgrade a iPhone 3GS, without them it cannot be done.

Quote Originally Posted by usaf_techguy View Post
    Ok first, I am a tech savvy person, But jailbreaking an Iphone is new to me. Everything i have found online and tried isent working. As far as i know here is what i have. I have a IPhone 3gs with old bootrom. running 4.0.2. and my pc is running windows 7. can some one please tell me how to jail break this damn thing. let me know if you need more info.

So if you do not have SHSH blobs saved on cydia ( your phone was jaibroken at lest one time before ) , then the only thing that you can do is to wait, i have the same problem on the same phone

Thanks guys for all of your responses!
    I've heard rumours of a greenpois0n, so hopefully that will be soon!! but.. even when that's out.. we're still going to need to wait to unlock it, won't we? (If I'm understanding how this works correctly..)

no, if you have old bootrom, then you can use the curent version of ultrasn0w.. yes, greenpois0n will be out in days by now... we hope :P

no, if you have old bootrom, then you can use the curent version of ultrasn0w.. yes, greenpois0n will be out in days by now... we hope :P
    Ultrasnow works with new and old versions of bootrom. It won't work on the latest versions of the baseband, but if your phone has never been upgraded to 4.1 then it won't have the new baseband.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Don't want to sound harsh, but if you're not absolutely sure what you're talking about, you should hold off on giving advice. Bootrom does not in any way affect whether you can unlock or not.

Quote Originally Posted by teec View Post
    Thanks guys for all of your responses!
    I've heard rumours of a greenpois0n, so hopefully that will be soon!! but.. even when that's out.. we're still going to need to wait to unlock it, won't we? (If I'm understanding how this works correctly..)
    The baseband version included in firmware 4.0.2 is unlockable. The baseband version included in firmware 4.1 is not. In one of your posts you said you were on 4.0.2 so if you stay there and don't upgrade, then you will be able to unlock when the new jailbreak is released.

ok, thanks!

now you can jailbreak 3gs on 4.0.2
    go to limera1n to get the software , also ultrasn0w working

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

now you can jailbreak 3gs on 4.0.2
    go to limera1n to get the software , also ultrasn0w working
    It's not working for 3GS new bootrom yet, so don't attempt that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12