Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS w/Old bootrom JB & SHSH - Questions on 4.0 JB

Thanks

Default 3GS w/Old bootrom JB & SHSH - Questions on 4.0 JB
    Just recently purchased an iPhone 3GS 32GB with old bootrom, firmware 3.1.2, BB 05.11.07, jailbroken by blackra1n, unlocked using Blacksn0w and has 3.1.2/3.1.3 SHSH blobs on file with Cydia.

I have a few questions:

Q1) After reading the Dev-Team Blog, I should be safe to restore a custom 4.0 firmware created by PwnageTool 4.01. Correct?

Q2) In PwnageTool's (v4.01) jailbreaking process, there is an option for the 3GS, that says "Enable baseband update". Should this be selected or should I unselect it and keep my BB at 05.11.07? A few people have told me to select it, saying "UltraSn0w 0.93" works with all BB above 04.26.08.

Q3) Do I need to restore the custom 4.0 firmware for the 3GS in Recovery mode or DFU mode?
    Last edited by reddawg; 2010-07-14 at 06:59 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

1. correct
    2. you can update
    3. DFU mode

Heres a guide.

How to Jailbreak iPhone 3GS to 4.0 with PwnageTool | OS X
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ianbroste For This Useful Post:

reddawg (2010-07-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianbroste View Post
    1. correct
    2. you can update
    3. DFU mode

Heres a guide.

How to Jailbreak iPhone 3GS to 4.0 with PwnageTool | OS X
    Thanks for replying ianbroast. I read many of the jailbreaking 4.0 guides for the 3GS on MMi and other sites. I was confused on whether I should or should not select "Enable baseband update" in PwnageTool, especially after reading that Ultrasn0w 0.93 can unlock all basebands above 04.26.08. Finally, I found an a posting from one of the moderators on MMi that said it was safe either way. I chose to update my baseband when creating my custom 4.0 firmware. It worked out perfectly.

The Dev-Team Blog said to use Recovery mode, not DFU. So, I went with Recovery mode. My understanding was that your 3GS must be already jailbroken, so DFU is not required. It must also be at firmware 3.1.2 with the SHSH blobs on file with Cydia.

Well, long story short, my iPhone 3GS is now running 4.0 with no problems. I love the folders and Home wallpaper features. I might disable Apple's multitasking feature and use Cydia's backgrounder. I need to gain a better understanding of the differences between the two before I do.

FYI: Everyone that has an iPhone 3GS on 4.0 needs to get those SHSH blobs on file with Cydia. Apple will be releasing 4.1 any day now and stop signing 4.0. I used TinyUmbrella to upload my 4.0 SHSH blobs to Cydia as well as keep a local copy on my computer.
    Last edited by reddawg; 2010-07-15 at 07:03 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown