Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS with OS 3.0 -> Want to update to iOS 4.0

Default iPhone 3GS with OS 3.0 -> Want to update to iOS 4.0
    Hi all,

I have an iPhone 3GS with OS 3.0 that I bought through ebay and it came unlocked.
    I have no idea if this is jailbroken or not. Is there an easy way to find out if this iphone was jailbroken or not?

And I want to update this iphone to 4.0.
    Is this possible using the pwnage tool, even though my current os version is 3.0?

does it have cydia install on it now?
    Are You Not Entertained! Are You Not Entertained! Is this not why you are HERE!!!!"

no, there is no cydia
    but it came with an app called "BossPrefs"

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abs12345 View Post
    no, there is no cydia
    but it came with an app called "BossPrefs"
    Then it is jailbroken.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

try f0recast to be sure. ih8sn0w.com
    Are You Not Entertained! Are You Not Entertained! Is this not why you are HERE!!!!"

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chessyang View Post
    try f0recast to be sure. ih8sn0w.com
    He's asking if his phone is already jailbroken, f0recast can't tell you that. Besides, there's no reason to make sure as bossprefs is an app that's only available on jailbroken phones.

Tks... good info.. he also asked about the Upgrade to 4.0....can he do that?

iPhone? More like MyPhone NinetyFour's Avatar
    Thanks

If you upgrade to 4.0 you will lose your jailbreak.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrunner View Post
    Tks... good info.. he also asked about the Upgrade to 4.0....can he do that?
    Ah, missed that. Yes, but he needs to use a custom 4.0 firmware made with either pwnagetool or sn0wbreeze (I'd personally recommend pwnagetool). Simply upgrading/restoring to stock 4.0 will make the phone unjailbreakable so be sure to use a custom firmware. Here's a good guide for pwnagetool: iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.0]

This method requires that the phone has the old bootrom. Seeing as it has (or has ever had) firmware 3.0 installed, it is guaranteed to have the old bootrom, so this will work fine for the original poster.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

abs12345 (2010-07-13)

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Ah, missed that. Yes, but he needs to use a custom 4.0 firmware made with either pwnagetool or sn0wbreeze (I'd personally recommend pwnagetool). Simply upgrading/restoring to stock 4.0 will make the phone unjailbreakable so be sure to use a custom firmware. Here's a good guide for pwnagetool: iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.0]

This method requires that the phone has the old bootrom. Seeing as it has (or has ever had) firmware 3.0 installed, it is guaranteed to have the old bootrom, so this will work fine for the original poster.
    Hi!
    Thanks for the answers. It turns out that I do have cydia.
    The cydia icon was simply hidden. I used bossprefs to unhide the cydia icon.

I have a few more questions about jailbreaking to 4.0

1. Can I also unlock it to use with T-mobile? Which unlock software should I use?

2. If I do the custom firmware upgrade and jailbreak, what happens to all the existing data in my iphone? contacts, notes, photos/videos, existing apps, etc.

3. If something terribly bad goes wrong in jailbreaking, can I restore my backup (of OS 3.0) to the iphone?

Thanks again!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Hi!
    Thanks for the answers. It turns out that I do have cydia.
    The cydia icon was simply hidden. I used bossprefs to unhide the cydia icon.

I have a few more questions about jailbreaking to 4.0

1. Can I also unlock it to use with T-mobile? Which unlock software should I use?

2. If I do the custom firmware upgrade and jailbreak, what happens to all the existing data in my iphone? contacts, notes, photos/videos, existing apps, etc.

3. If something terribly bad goes wrong in jailbreaking, can I restore my backup (of OS 3.0) to the iphone?

Thanks again!
    1. Yes. Use ultrasn0w for unlocking.

2. Everything will be wiped. You can backup and restore from backup, but that's generally advised against as problems can occur. The best option is 'set up as new phone'.

3. If you're jailbroken (which you are now), yes. You can always restore to a custom firmware of any version you'd like. You can not restore to any other version than the current one if you aren't jailbroken. This means that you should avoid stock firmware at all costs. If something goes wrong, don't panic and install one of those, instead only stick to custom.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

abs12345 (2010-07-14)

Thank you dhamien!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Thank you dhamien!
    You're welcome