Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pwnagetool iOS 4 upgrade works, but questions

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Pwnagetool iOS 4 upgrade works, but questions
    Ok so I upgraded my 3GS from 3.0 to iOS4. It was previously jailbroken and not with spirit (honestly I didn't even know what spirit was). I believe I have the old bootrom as my model number is A1303. I even upgraded the baseband and its still working great (I am with the Optus carrier in Australia).

Now my questions are...

1) Can I create a custom IPSW from Pwnagetool and use it on my 3GS which is already on the iOS 4 firmware and already jailbroken? I really just want to change my boot logo and restore logo.

2) Can I upgrade my room mate's iPhone with the same IPSW I used on mine? Hers is a 3GS, same model number (A1303) so I assume old bootrom, same carrier (Optus in Australia)... But the phone has not been jailbroken before. I have heard that the phone needs to be previously jailbroken, and NOT with spirit. It just seems like it would be tedious to jailbreak her phone, then to upgrade and jailbreak it afterwards.

EDIT: The guide I used was http://www.redmondpie.com/pwnagetool...iphone-3g-3gs/
    Last edited by Vereign; 2010-07-03 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Adding information

Yes. I think you can. I upgraded mine using pwnage 4.0 when i noticed ibooks wasn't working. So i created a new custom ipsw using pwnage 4.0.1 & updated to the phone. Now everything incl iBooks is working perfectly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

1) Yes, you can Restore a pre-jailbroken IPSW directly from your jailbroken iOS 4.0.

HOWEVER if you're not aware, while PwnageTool 4.0 creates IPSWs with broken iBooks, PwnageTool 4.01 creates IPSWs that have problems with mobileconfigs and standalone web applications. For example, the mobileconfig that Apple recently released to address Exchange ActiveSync issues won't install.

2) Hopefully it hasn't been updated to iOS 4 (stock). Run redsn0w on the 3GS first to jailbreak it on 3.x. Then, yes, you can Restore a pre-jailbroken IPSW directly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the help. I am using Pwnagetool 4.01 btw.