Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone virgin question

Default iphone virgin question
    Hi i'm android developer who happen to pickup 3gs yesterday. I never work with iPhones before and it's all very new to me
    My 3gs is happen to be 3.1.3 with 5.12.01 baseband and new boot loader ( model MC135LL)
    I've tried to jb it with pwnagetool 3.1.5 and failed with 16xx errors ( tunes are 9.1.1 )
    So i've tried Spirit and it worked, followed by ultrasn0w. So now im jb and unlocked.
    However, i have a feeling that "proper way" of doing it is via pwnagetool.
    So my question is - how i can go from Spirit JB to pwnage JB. I'm probably will stop at 3.1.3/3.1.2 for now and not gonna upgrade to 4.0.

Thanks

Right now you are going to be stuck there due to probably having new boot rom, and spirt is a userland jailbreak so it does not pwn iboot,and iboot has to be pwned it order for the iphone to accept custom firmware..

The only way to really find out what you have is to check the iboot version..

359.3 old boot rom
    359.3.2 new boot rom

Hey guys, i got 3G 3.1.3 BB 5.12.01 and 3GS 3.1.3 BB 5.12.01. Wat is the quickest way to jailbreak/unlock them?any instructions would be great!!!!

I've tried to jb and unlock with pwnagetool. I've fail, i think because 1) I have new bootloader and 2) iPhone was never JB before.
    So what i find and successfully did implemented - jb using Spirit tool - Download Spirit to Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3, iPad 3.2, iPod touch 3G | Redmond Pie
    And then unlocked it Unlock iPhone 3.1.3 3G 3GS with ultrasn0w | Redmond Pie

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Unlock with ultrasnow worked with my 3g 3.1.3 and new bootrom 3gs also running 3.1.3 so those are now unlocked install and reboot sorted

So did u unlock with pwnage and new boot room ? Could u post instructions? Was your iPhone unlocked before this procedure ?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    My first 3g is jb with redsnow and unlocked with ultrasnow no probs second iPhone is jailbroken with snowbreeze and unlocked with ultrasnow also on 3.1.3 and I have new bootroom 3gs jb spirit and unlocked with ultrasnow all fine and now probs make sure you have taken auto updates off on iTunes and are not currently using iTunes 9.2 then is fine

But your iPhones were not previously unlocked and 3.1.3 with new bootrom was initial unlocked state right ?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Redsnow is easy snowbreeze is quite easy as well but make sure you change running setting for spirit as you want to make sure will run fine for you regarding you system and setting redsnow and pwnage tool seem to work together better than snowbreeze and spirit works least well due to what you do on iPhones redsnow and pwnage work with few flaws snowbreeze is a bit slower spirit is alight just a few hick ups in running system

No these iPhones were not unlocked before the 3g on 3.1.3 I unlocked 2 days ago 3gs was unlocked yesterday mc model white 3gs 32g as long as you have updated cydia ultrasnow 9.3 will unlock no probs and make sure you are not running iTunes 9.2 defo with spirit jb cause you will go in a loop and will have to force reboot ultrasnow does now unlock newer basebands

3g was jb a while ago and 3gs was activated last Wednesday jb on thursday and unlocked on Friday

Ultrasnow worked on both of those phones this week
    Last edited by wazjackal; 2010-06-27 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I jb with spirit and unlocked just fine. Question is should I re-jailbreak it with redsnow/pwnage tool or in my config -3.1.3,new bootrom - I stuck with spirit update only. iTunes are 9.1.1

Green Apple
    Thanks
    On the newbootrom 3gs if you jb with spirit don't use redsnow you will go into apple loop also you don't want to install cydia over cydia 3.1.2 is better to update if you have your 3.1.2 and 3.1.2 on file if on old bootrom go back to 3.1.2 update to 4 os and then use redsnow you can't do that with new 3 gs bootrom it will freeze

On the newbootrom 3gs if you jb with spirit don't use redsnow you will go into apple loop also you don't want to install cydia over cydia 3.1.2 is better to update if you have your 3.1.2 and 3.1.2 on file if on old bootrom go back to 3.1.2 update to 4 os and then use redsnow you can't do that with new 3 gs bootrom it will freeze
    Last edited by wazjackal; 2010-06-27 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks guys, unlocked both my 3G/3Gs on 3.1.3, any instructions on how to jailbreak/unlock 4.0 for windows???

undisputed1 - how did you unlock 3GSs ? I'm still on Spirit JB.
    As far as 4.0 goes. I'd probably stay away from that on 3G - experience is really horrible. Everything is slow as hell.

jailbreak using spirit and unlock with ultrasn0w 0.9.3, quick an easy!!!