Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help unlocking stock 3GS on 3.0.1, 4.26.08, and early boot

Default Need help unlocking stock 3GS on 3.0.1, 4.26.08, and early boot
    I thought my iPhone (3GS running 3.0.1 with early boot and 4.26 bb) would be a snap to JB with Pwnage 3.1.5.

I built the custom firmware and Pwnage installed it's "package" to put the phone in recovery mode. From there however iTunes would see a phone in recovery mode but no matter what I did I couldn't get past a 1600 or 1604 error.

My next problem was getting out of the recovery/DFU loop which I was finally able to do with iRecovery.

Now I'm wondering if there's a viable path for me to JB and unlock. I do not have SHSH blobs for any versions so unless I can jailbreak and unlock from 3.0.1 I may be SOL.

I thought about using redsn0w but it won't recognize 3.0.1.

Any help greatly appreciated. Am heading out of country in a few days and want to use a SIM local to my destination.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You might need an older version of redsnow and itunes.

FYI if your phone isn't jailbroken, you can't load the custom firmware from pwnage in recovery mode. You HAVE to be in DFU.

Though I would recommend jailbreaking 3.0.1 if possible, updating to 3.1.3 using a custom IPSW (maintaining jailbreak and not updating baseband, etc). Then go to 4.0. That way you'll have the 3.1.3 SHSH on file with cydia.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I tried both recovery (image on screen) and DFU (screen black) and neither worked. DFU got further in the process but always ended in a 1600/1604. These states were confirmed by looking at system profiler.

I had the same idea to use an older redsn0w and tried using a copy of version .8 which included 3.0.1 as one of it's targets but it also fails to recognize the 3.0.1 firmware.

Earlier iTunes is about the only thing I haven't done (I'm on 9.1.1). Is it a likely fix or a hail Mary?

Just got redsn0w to work by using the 3.0 firmware.

For the record the iphone-dev team said this would work way back when and after finding that reference I tried it and was successful. Note that I did use the .8 version just in case there were generational issues.

Woohoo!
    Last edited by fono; 2010-06-09 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fono View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I tried both recovery (image on screen) and DFU (screen black) and neither worked. DFU got further in the process but always ended in a 1600/1604. These states were confirmed by looking at system profiler.

I had the same idea to use an older redsn0w and tried using a copy of version .8 which included 3.0.1 as one of it's targets but it also fails to recognize the 3.0.1 firmware.

Earlier iTunes is about the only thing I haven't done (I'm on 9.1.1). Is it a likely fix or a hail Mary?

Just got redsn0w to work by using the 3.0 firmware.

For the record the iphone-dev team said this would work way back when and after finding that reference I tried it and was successful. Note that I did use the .8 version just in case there were generational issues.

Woohoo!
    That was your problem, when you use redsn0w 0.8 to jailbreak, you have to point to 3.0 fw and not 3.0.1 fw, now you can use CFW 3.1.3 to restore and unlock with Ultrasn0w again. Cheers.

Tonight I took another run at upgrading to a custom 3.1.3 firmware.

My first attempt I just put the phone in DFU mode connected to iTunes and tried to restore the custom file I'd made earlier. This ended with exactly the same problem as before: error 1600.

For my second try I re-ran Pwnage 3.1.5, created a new custom firmware and watched as Pwnage delivered it's package. Pwnage then put the phone into "recovery" mode (image on screen). I started a restore to the custom firmware and this attempt, at long last, worked.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Congrats! Going from custom firmware to new custom firmware prefers recovery, not DFU! Never use an official firmware as you've got an original 04.26.08 that is desirable when reselling!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

I am glad it worked out for you : Let it finish to the end of the race..Cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    Congrats! Going from custom firmware to new custom firmware prefers recovery, not DFU! Never use an official firmware as you've got an original 04.26.08 that is desirable when reselling!
    Oh yes, Old bootrom fetches a higher resale value, I totally agree with you .
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-06-10 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost