Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pwnage Tool Endless Loop

Default Pwnage Tool Endless Loop
    What is this, an April Fools joke? I need to downgrade my G2. So I run Pwnage Tool and follow the instructions and it says "Congratulations! U R in!" Yay. I break out the champagne. But wait...the phone seems to be dead as a brick. (Uh oh) Black screen, won't respond to anything. But I run iTunes and the thing comes to life. (Phew!)But only choice is to restore it and it updates to latest software 3.1.3. So I'm back where I started. Repeat.

Surely there must be more to Pwnage Tool than this endless loop. Has Apple circumvented Pwnage in its 3.1.3 firmware? Is there a way to get back to 3.1.2?

OK. I got it. You have to hold down the option key when restoring with iTunes. Pretty important detail.

But still NO SERVICE as far as the phone is concerned.
    Last edited by cousinphil; 2010-04-19 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Travel light, live light, spread the light, be the light"

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cousinphil View Post
    What is this, an April Fools joke? I need to downgrade my G2. So I run Pwnage Tool and follow the instructions and it says "Congratulations! U R in!" Yay. I break out the champagne. But wait...the phone seems to be dead as a brick. (Uh oh) Black screen, won't respond to anything. But I run iTunes and the thing comes to life. (Phew!)But only choice is to restore it and it updates to latest software 3.1.3. So I'm back where I started. Repeat.

Surely there must be more to Pwnage Tool than this endless loop. Has Apple circumvented Pwnage in its 3.1.3 firmware? Is there a way to get back to 3.1.2?

OK. I got it. You have to hold down the option key when restoring with iTunes. Pretty important detail.

But still NO SERVICE as far as the phone is concerned.
    Are you using ATT sim? If so jailbreak again and create a custon IPSW and don't choose ACTIVATE phone! When done wait and itunes will activate phone!

Default No service
    Thanks for your input. But I do not want iTunes to activate this iphone because the first step in iTunes activation is registering your iphone with AT&T.

I have been a satisfied ATT customer for about five years but with just a regular Nokia cell phone, no data plan. A couple of months ago I bought a jailbroken G2 and dropped my SIM card into it. I had taken the precaution of putting a data block on my ATT account. It works great! I can get internet through my Wi-Fi network and ATT doesn't charge me any additional charges. I receive no data over the ATT wireless cell network. I love this phone!

So I bought another G2 for my wife but it had been updated to 3.1.3 and things aren't so simple anymore. Apple has gotten wise to guys like me who try to fly under the radar and has made it so once you install 3.1.3 firmware you can't backtrack. I think I'm going to sell this iphone on eBay and buy another one that hasn't been updated.
    "Travel light, live light, spread the light, be the light"

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cousinphil View Post
    Thanks for your input. But I do not want iTunes to activate this iphone because the first step in iTunes activation is registering your iphone with AT&T.

I have been a satisfied ATT customer for about five years but with just a regular Nokia cell phone, no data plan. A couple of months ago I bought a jailbroken G2 and dropped my SIM card into it. I had taken the precaution of putting a data block on my ATT account. It works great! I can get internet through my Wi-Fi network and ATT doesn't charge me any additional charges. I receive no data over the ATT wireless cell network. I love this phone!

So I bought another G2 for my wife but it had been updated to 3.1.3 and things aren't so simple anymore. Apple has gotten wise to guys like me who try to fly under the radar and has made it so once you install 3.1.3 firmware you can't backtrack. I think I'm going to sell this iphone on eBay and buy another one that hasn't been updated.
    As far as I know if you put ATT sim in ATT Iphone, itunes is the only way to activate

5. The Following User Says Thank You to area51crypto For This Useful Post:

cousinphil (2010-04-27)