Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: custom firmware WITH baseband possible?

Default custom firmware WITH baseband possible?
    Hi

I bricked my new iPhone 3Gs - it was working perfectly with 3.1.2, blackra1n and blacksn0w.
    I then installed SBSettings, and had to reboot, since then it's in a recovery mode loop.

I've tried everything, 500 times.

My last (and I really mean last) hope before restoring with the normal apple 3.1.3 firmware (and waiting for someone to release a JB+Unlock for it) is this idea:

a custom 3.1.3 firmware WITH the bootloader from 3.1.2.

Is there any way to get that?

Now why that's my last hope:
    I've found out using iRecovery, that the boot images on my iPhone 3Gs are invalid:
    (Recovery) iPhone$ go
    Memory image not valid
    (Recovery) iPhone$ bootx
    Attempting to validate kernelcache @ 0x41000000
    (Recovery) iPhone$ go
    Kernelcache image not valid
    error loading kernelcache
    which sounds like not only the firmware, but probably also the baseband has been killed.

All attempts to install regular firmware 3.1.2 fail, because I only got the iphone in march, when apple was no longer signing 3.1.2, so I don't have my 3.1.2 shsh. I do however have the 3.1.3 shsh.
    attempts to install custom firmware 3.1.3 fail, in both recovery and DFU mode, using mac, windows, different itunes versions, and all possible other variations. I used pwnage 3.1.4, 3.1.5 and sn0wbreeze without success.
    I keep getting 16xx errors after the "preparing iphone for restore" message.

I've tried updating using xcode organizer (I'm a registered iphone developer)

I believe I've tried everything now.
    I ran blackra1n, redsn0w, etc hundreds of times - they show their pictures, but don't ever work (I'm sure it's because the "image not valid" error applies to them too)

Now I've run out of options, and like I said, before upgrading to regular 3.1.3 (or rather before trying to - who knows if that will work), I wanted to see if I could somehow get a custom 3.1.3 with nothing changed, except the baseband replaced with the one from 3.1.2 (to retain blacksn0w capability), including shsh checks (which I reroute via sauriks servers), and everything else. Is there a way to do that? does someone have a custom firmware like that?

Thanks a lot!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Zehlek's Avatar
    Thanks

for next time, what I do to prevent that is when it says reboot in Cydia, instead hold the top button and slide to power off.

when you put in DFU, iTunes will says recovery. Then try getting it to USB and itunes recovery screen and then use iRecovery to get you out of Recovery mode

Quote Originally Posted by Zehlek View Post
    when you put in DFU, iTunes will says recovery. Then try getting it to USB and itunes recovery screen and then use iRecovery to get you out of Recovery mode
    I've tried that, no success.

I pasted some of the output from iRecovery in my post:
    (Recovery) iPhone$ go
    Memory image not valid
    (Recovery) iPhone$ bootx
    (Recovery) iPhone$ go
    error loading kernelcache
    of course, the typical instructions of "setenv auto-boot true" then "saveenv" and then "fsboot" didn't do anything either, so I dug around some more, and tried all the commands I could find...

in DFU mode, you can't communicate with the iPhone at all via iRecovery - I've tried that too.

thefool, please keep posted and let's know if you can fix this. this is exactly the same problem i'm having.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The reason you can't use custom firmwares is that your phone has the new bootrom so it can't accept them at all.

As for your problem, I think a lot of the boot loop problems stem from blacksn0w. If you can somehow get into the phone and flash the baseband, you might get the phone working again.

I don't know how to do this, but as you seem to be willing to search around yourself, I think I have some pointers. There's a command called something like BBUpdaterExtreme that uses a file to update the baseband (I think). You should be able to get the baseband files from within the 3.1.2 .ipsw. To access the file, simply rename it to .zip. Then you can search around in it. For all this to work, you'll need to be able to access the phone and run commands in it. As I said, I don't know how this is done (or if it even can be done), it's all theoretical on my part, but it's something could work.

Please post back with results, even if they aren't positive.

Good luck!

I've the same problem, but with n IPAD...

Anybody know how o use BBUpdaterExtreme to "input" baseband on Empty IPAD?

] bootx 0x9000000

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emersonmoraes View Post
    I've the same problem, but with n IPAD...

Anybody know how o use BBUpdaterExtreme to "input" baseband on Empty IPAD?

] bootx 0x9000000
    This page shows at least the idea of how it's done. You'll have to make changes to apply it to your particular situation.

blacksn0w crashes 3.1.2 firmware 05.11.07 baseband 3GS, no shsh on file (Solution) extechblog
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

I'll Try! But i'm not able to connect to my IPAD using any SSH program cause always on recovery mode. Do you have any idea how to extract the new bootroms and other needed files from an 4.2.1 IOS and how to upload it to ipad using irecovery?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emersonmoraes View Post
    I'll Try! But i'm not able to connect to my IPAD using any SSH program cause always on recovery mode. Do you have any idea how to extract the new bootroms and other needed files from an 4.2.1 IOS and how to upload it to ipad using irecovery?

Thanks!
    You cannot extract new bootrom and you cannot use irecovery to upload files.

So, i think that's no way to solve my problem :-(