Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 2G restored to 3.1.2 but now shows 3.1.3

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Iphone 2G restored to 3.1.2 but now shows 3.1.3
    I have two daughters who have 2g's and I have restored both with the ispw 3.1.2 firmware, jailbroke and unlocked them. Both show firmware version 3.1.3 now. I want to get mms working but can't seem to get it to work with this new version. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

Wessy

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

3.1.3 works fine on the 2G (1st generation) iPhone. Although most apps are build for 3.1.2.
    I think the specific download for MMS and tethering for the 2G only works on 3.1.2.
    Are you a T-Mobile user?
    http://modmyi.com/forums/t-mobile/65...2g-3g-3gs.html

How did you 'restore'? With iTunes default? That'll get 3.1.3.

It's easy to downgrade to 3.1.2. You might encounter a 16xx error, but do it again.
    There are many methods on many sites. I prefer the PwnageTool method best. It's
    not the fastest and requires a Mac, but it provides a cleaner jb. Always remember,
    NEVER let iTunes load any standard IPSW unless specifically stated in the jb/unlock
    instructions. This applies to ALL iPhones, and especially the later 3G and 3GS.

Because it's a 2G, the unlock is always safe because the BB is never updated.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-04-07 at 07:36 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think I used redsnow to unlock them so I should have probably posted there. Anyway, I don't have a Mac just Vista and XP. One of the phones is out of commision right now since it got wet in the rain yesterday. Slide bar to unlock the screen doesn't respond anymore. I pulled it apart to dry but not too confident it will work again. The other one shuts down on it's own once or twice a week too. I think it's time to upgrade them both to 3G's since they are easier to repair. I'll have a third daughter old enough to have a phone this summer so I will be an expert at repairing Iphones soon.

Wessy

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^ Good luck with the 3rd .

Be careful with the 3G purchase. Many 'accidental' 3.1.3 FW upgrades and 5.12.x BB out there.

I just replaced my 3G battery for the 1st time. Not difficult, but a delicate process. I have a 2G
    that won't turn on (water damaged). Waiting to more experience before I dig into that one.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I tried to fix my neighbor's water damaged 3G but found out the mobo was fried. I did gain some good experience though with the dissasembly. I had to replace the motherboard on one of the 2G's and it was brutal. I can take it apart now though without a problem. The connectors are way harder to reconnect then the 3G. The metal housing on the 2g requires some trial and error to get it where you don't bend the aluminum. Once you discover a good method it pops right open.
    I have fixed a bunch of ATT phones we have owned over the years that had water damage and found the chance of getting an Iphone back to 100% after it gets wet is near zero.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^That's what I was thinking. Most 'electronic devices' don't recover from water damage.

This water-damaged 2G is a 'parts center' now (haha)