Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Q about 3.1.3 and 3GS

Default Q about 3.1.3 and 3GS
    I have purchased a 3GS back in early September. It is currently Jailbroken on 3.0.1 firmware. Cydia shows "this device has SHSHs on files for iPhone OS: 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3

Newer apps (like the Digg one) require OS version 3.1, so I would like to update the OS and re-jailbreak. The phone is unlocked, but I don't really need the unlock as the phone was purchased from and remains with Rogers.

Regarding jailbreaking, I assume my bootrom version and baseband are old enough to be able to jailbreak and unlock (if I ever want to). For some reason, going to Settings, General, About doesnt seem to do anything, a screen shows up for a split second then disappears. So, I am not sure how I can verify the baseband version. For the bootrom, I think I have to be in DFU mode for Windows? Any advice would be appreciated here.

Anyway, there is lots of contradictory information on the internet regarding jailbreak on 3.1.3. What I have done so far is:

Setup OSX in a VMWare Player VM. Works fine (network, audio, etc). I have downloaded pwnagetool 3.1.5 and the 3.1.3 ipsw file for the 3GS to this VM. My idea is to create the custom firmware inside this OSX VM (its 10.5.2), then transfer the custom firmware file to Windows and do the update there. This should work right???

A question I have is: should I change my Windows hosts file to point to Saurik's servers before I update the firmware (change the gs.apple.com IP to point to Saurik's server?)

Sorry for the questions, but the more I read (even in this forum) the more confusing things potentially get for me.

Update .. I had to get the phone into safe mode to see the info, but here it is:

version: 3.0.1 (7A400)
    model: MC143C
    modem: 04.26.08

So, the baseband is OK, right?
    Last edited by digglife; 2010-03-30 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

use pwnagetool to create a custom 3.1.2 firmware and use shift+restore to update to that...there is no need to point your host file to saurik's server as custom firmwares do not require signing from apple...if you still want to unlock then you can use ultrasn0w when you are done...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you use the pwnagetool-made CFW in Windows, don't put your phone in DFU or recovery mode when shift-restoring to it. Simply have the phone fully booted and sitting on the homescreen (springboard).