Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pwnage Tool not working.

Default Pwnage Tool not working.
    Hello, I'm running OSX 10.6.1. I'm using PwnageTool 3.1.3. It's being extremely slow or not working at all. I can't select, "Browse for IPSW". Just wondering if this is a common issue and if there's a solution.

Thanks

It took awhile 3-4 mins to find the ipsw for me as well, be patient - you will be fine.
    iPhone 4 | iMac 24" | MacBook Pro 15" | ATV | iPod Classic | Time Capsule | iPad 16 Gb |

It's not patience that's the issue. If this program doesn't work properly then there could be a bigger problem. Even after 15 minutes, when it finally finds the IPSW, it won't build the custom package. I think maybe there's a process or permission that's messing it up, but I have no idea how this thing works. The program is also almost unresponsive and I have to force quit. I've tried downloading it from other sources and all have the same problem. Any more feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bart12x View Post
    Hello, I'm running OSX 10.6.1. I'm using PwnageTool 3.1.3. It's being extremely slow or not working at all. I can't select, "Browse for IPSW". Just wondering if this is a common issue and if there's a solution.
    I had a similiar problem. Here are some possible causes:

1. Don't download firmwares using Safari, use Firefox. Safari unpacks the IPSW file. If the downloaded firmware file ends with a .zip, rename it as .ipsw.
    2. Your firmware may be corrupted. Re-download your stock firmware directly from Apple.

iPhone 3GS v3.1.2
      http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....1_Restore.ipsw

iPhone 3G v3.1.2
      http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....1_Restore.ipsw
    3. Download the latest PwnageTool 3.1.4. If you are trying to create a custom firmware of 3.1.2 with PwnageTool 3.1.3, PwnageTool 3.1.3 is not designed to work with firmware 3.1.2. Delete PwnageTool 3.1.3 from where ever you installed it and install PwnageTool 3.1.4 to your desktop.
    4. Put your firmware in the same place as PwnageTool, the desktop.

It can take 3-5 minutes for PwnageTool to find your IPSW, but it shouldn't take 15 minutes and it should verify.
    Last edited by reddawg; 2009-10-19 at 10:30 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

Thanks for your suggestions reddawg. I remember Safari giving me problems like this before. I downloaded 3.1.4 and the firmware from apples site. I put both PwnageTool 3.1.4 and the firmware on the desktop, and tried the application folder too. Neither did the trick. I can select Expert or Simple Mode, the phone type, and once I click next, that's it. I have to force quit the app. I've used PwnageTool before and haven't had this problem, except that now I'm running Snow Leopard. I also tried completely removing any PwnageTool files, like the plist and all. It didn't help either.

Default Pwnage Tool not working
    I've been having the same problem as Bart12x. I tried all the same steps, and i'm running 10.6.1 trying to jailbreak my 3GS. I can't seem to figure out why it wont let me manually browse for the ipsw and why I always end up having to force quit it when it hangs. Any suggestions?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    In my case the problem was windows ntfs partition mounted. Try to unmount any other partitions/disks and see if it will help. I was waiting about 4 hours to found ipsw, and after that i wasn't able to make a custom (pwnagetool was just hunging up). After unmounting all except macintosh hd - all went good

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sthEn For This Useful Post:

alyshehata (2010-09-11), carlitos287 (2009-11-03), LuciferChaos (2009-10-19), metaljay (2009-11-15), Pharoah6905 (2009-10-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sthEn View Post
    In my case the problem was windows ntfs partition mounted. Try to unmount any other partitions/disks and see if it will help. I was waiting about 4 hours to found ipsw, and after that i wasn't able to make a custom (pwnagetool was just hunging up). After unmounting all except macintosh hd - all went good
    Thanks! I just had this problem this morning trying to do a JB for someone and couldn't figure out wtf the problem was since I've done it dozens of times...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bart12x View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions reddawg. I remember Safari giving me problems like this before. I downloaded 3.1.4 and the firmware from apples site. I put both PwnageTool 3.1.4 and the firmware on the desktop, and tried the application folder too. Neither did the trick. I can select Expert or Simple Mode, the phone type, and once I click next, that's it. I have to force quit the app. I've used PwnageTool before and haven't had this problem, except that now I'm running Snow Leopard. I also tried completely removing any PwnageTool files, like the plist and all. It didn't help either.
    I have been told that if Spotlight is turned off on your Mac, it can cause PwnageTool to take a long time to find your IPSW file. Try turning on Spotlight, if it is off and delete any IPSW files that are in the folder ~/Library/iTunes/iphone software updates. This may help.

Thinking back to my problem with PwnageTool, I was running Leopard 10.5.2 and encountered a similiar problem where PwnageTool tool forever to search for my IPSW firmware file. After about 10 minutes, it didn't find any of my firmware files that I downloaded using Firefox. When I manually browsed for my firmware IPSW file and selected it, PwnageTool told me "Incorrect or invalid IPSW". Re-downloading my firmware did not resolve the error. I'm not sure why, but when I downgraded my iTunes from 9.01 to 8.2.1, it fixed my PwnageTool problems. On a Mac, downgrading iTunes is a pain. It involved deleting files from many different folders, terminating the iTunes Helper program from memory. Google "How to downgrade iTunes 9 on a Mac OS X".

Your problem is slightly different than mine. I did not have to force quite the PwnageTool application. It is very possible that your problem is an issue between PwnageTool and Snow Leopard 10.6.1. I found a thread on MMI with a person who had the same exact problem as yours.

http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...ml#post4964316

http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...ml#post4964508
    Last edited by reddawg; 2009-10-19 at 11:11 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

I wish I'd have checked back earlier. I had two windows partitions mounted. I reinstalled snow leopard and restored. Everything works fine now, even with the windows stuff mounted. At least the computer is performing better (and the tool works).

Quote Originally Posted by sthEn View Post
    Thanks! That was exactly the problem! I just unmounted the partition and it only took a few seconds to find the firmware file =)