Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Installed Winterboard using Cydia, Phone Won't Boot!

Default Installed Winterboard using Cydia, Phone Won't Boot!
    I installed winterboard on my 3.1 out of the box... i installed it using cydia.

Now I'm stuck at the pineapple logo.

Please help guys, I don't care about losing my info or whatever the hell happens.

I NEED this to load back up.

Thanks guys,
    Shawn

This happened to me as well the other day, 3GS ( bought on release day) running 3.1.2 stock firmware.

I downloaded and used latest PwnageTool 3.1.4

The JB seemed to work correctly Cydia was installed and I allowed iTunes to restore the backup which loaded everything back up just as it should.

Then I went into Cydia and let it do it's updates and restarted Cydia all seemed ok I installed Winterboard and allowed it to reboot as it wanted to.

The iPhone became stuck at the apple logo, hard resets would only bring up the apple logo and go black after 3-5 mins, repeated hard resets did not affect it.

Connecting the iPhone to iTunes - iTunes would not see the iPhone .... rebooted all and keep trying hard resets maybe 25 or more times spent 30 mins or more while connected to USB and itunes running FINALLY one time the connect to iTunes screen came up and the iPhone was in restore mode, did a full restore to stock in iTunes.

Too freaked out to try again right now.

*UPDATE* WORKING NOW

Ok I decided to try again and THIS TIME I set up as a NEW iPHONE also after letting Cydia update I rebooted the phone, then installed Winterboard and rebooted again.

I have since installed several of my apps and all seems to be working.

I would defiantly recommend the SETTING UP AS A NEW iPHONE and not restore from backup, and it can't husr to go ahead and do the extra iPhone reboots between installing Cydia and Winterboard and AFTER Winterboard replaces Mobilsubstrate especially.

All is now well and it's nice to have my 3GS JB I waited all this time since I got it at release just running stock.

Hope that helps someone.
    Last edited by intangbl; 2009-10-24 at 12:50 AM. Reason: UPDATE!

Default Same problem
    I had this same exact issue. I will never again restore from a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by intangbl View Post

The iPhone became stuck at the apple logo, hard resets would only bring up the apple logo and go black after 3-5 mins, repeated hard resets did not affect it.

Connecting the iPhone to iTunes - iTunes would not see the iPhone .... rebooted all and keep trying hard resets maybe 25 or more times spent 30 mins or more while connected to USB and itunes running FINALLY one time the connect to iTunes screen came up and the iPhone was in restore mode, did a full restore to stock in iTunes.

Too freaked out to try again right now.

*UPDATE* WORKING NOW

Ok I decided to try again and THIS TIME I set up as a NEW iPHONE also after letting Cydia update I rebooted the phone, then installed Winterboard and rebooted again.

I have since installed several of my apps and all seems to be working.

I would defiantly recommend the SETTING UP AS A NEW iPHONE and not restore from backup, and it can't husr to go ahead and do the extra iPhone reboots between installing Cydia and Winterboard and AFTER Winterboard replaces Mobilsubstrate especially.

All is now well and it's nice to have my 3GS JB I waited all this time since I got it at release just running stock.

Hope that helps someone.
    I finally decided to go from 3.0 to 3.1.2.

I created a custom ipsw.

Did a shift restore to my custom ispw.

I did a restore/backup after the phone rebooted. I then downloaded Winterboard from Cydia. The phone needed to reboot. Couldn't reboot at all.

iTunes didn't recognize the phone since it couldn't turn on. Went to DFU mode and restored to my custom ipsw again.

This time I setup phone as new.

Phone is now working correctly.

I'm not sure what is restored when you restore from backup, but apparently when you do it corrupts the phone.

**Moral of the story**

In my particular case I will setup phone as new anytime I restore from now on.

winterboard just seems to cause a $h!tload of problems... any other alternatives to it? does it get regular fixes? i took it off my phone...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Winterboard actually doesn't cause one single problem in and of itself. Winterboard is the only program that will theme your phone. Mobile substrate and Winterboard are both written by saurik who wrote Cyida. The problems arise from OTHER programs not coded very well or tested for bugs that interact with Winterboard and Mobile Substrate. Also when going from one firmware to another it's ALWAYS a hard rule to set up as a new profile to avoid any compatibility issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Winterboard actually doesn't cause one single problem in and of itself. Winterboard is the only program that will theme your phone. Mobile substrate and Winterboard are both written by saurik who wrote Cyida. The problems arise from OTHER programs not coded very well or tested for bugs that interact with Winterboard and Mobile Substrate. Also when going from one firmware to another it's ALWAYS a hard rule to set up as a new profile to avoid any compatibility issues.
    Agreed.

I don't know Saurik personally, but it seems that he does things correctly the first time.

A clean install is the way to go anytime you upgrade software on any type of hardware.

You start with a clean slate and don't have to worry about compatibility issues when restoring.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kapolani For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (2009-12-07)