Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My iPhone is back!

Default My iPhone is back!
    I just wanted to express my thanks to the dev team and members of this forum, particularly iGuru, for their help and efforts over the past few weeks. The waiting game finally paid off for me last night when I was able to restore my 3GS to a working state, jailbroken and unlocked on 3.1, I could even retore to a backup to retrieve a lot of my data and settings.

Thanks to all!

was your phone already pwned with 3.0? my 3gs with 3.1 isn't pwned because it had 3.1 on it as i got it. as i hope to understand dev teams blog correct it isn't possible to restore a 3gs that wasn't already pwnd? but why? i mean right now i can also do a restore with the original 3.1 fw. so why not restoring a custom ipsw? has anyone tried this?

My phone had already been jailbroken and unlocked on 3.0, however when I restored the phone it was in boot mode only and wouldn't load to any firmware. I had never upgraded to 3.1.

You're right that you can't use the latest tool but I'm not sure of the specifics as to why. My guess, and it is just a guess, would be that a previously jailbroken phone already contains a 'hole' that is necessary to jailbreak/unlock a phone. If you upgrade to 3.1 or got the phone with 3.1 and try restoring with a custom firmware, then that hole is not present as apple have closed it up. The dev team will therefore be looking for a new hole to exploit for those currently running 3.1. which will then be exploited in a new release of the pwangetool.