Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why does Pwnage ask for system admin password?

Default Why does Pwnage ask for system admin password?
    Hi,

in my past years of using the Pwnage tool I have heard 2 answers, both don't sound like from somebody who is in the knows!

1. "There are various processes where unmounting and mounting of a file systems is necessary. This is performed while using a system UID of 0 which causes the prompt for a system password"
    Hack that Phone - Using QuickPwn

What? Admin rights to mount a file system? Kidding me!

2. Something like "Pwnage needs to write in the iTunes file folder where it needs admin rights to access..."

Can't find the source anymore, but this is even more stupid.

ANYBODY? Looking for a solid answer on this.

Thanks,
    Dirk

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The answers seem reasonable to me, but maybe not to you.

Maybe this addition will help. Every file and folder is 'owned' by a specific user AND every file and folder has pre-defined attributes (read, write, execute or search, etc).

Anytime a program messes in an area that it does not have the correct permissions (by default), a request for additional authorized will be requested.

I'm not really sure what Pwnage is doing, but for sure--is wants to do something not already pre-authorized--hense the additional password request.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    The answers seem reasonable to me, but maybe not to you.

Maybe this addition will help. Every file and folder is 'owned' by a specific user AND every file and folder has pre-defined attributes (read, write, execute or search, etc).

Hope this helps
    Thanks for your comment! However, the iTunes Folder is owned by user with read/write permissions. Not by root/admin:

drwxr-xr-x 12 Dirk Dirk 408 Sep 29 19:24 iTunes

No need for an admin pwd to write into the iTunes directory. Same goes for mounting. That's my point. So question is still up, why admin/root rights for Pwnage?

Thanks,
    Dirk

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I wonder IF Pwnage uses/accesses/writes files 'outside' the current 'user' directory authority? If true, that would explain it, but I haven't investigated it further. Now you've got my interest