Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 2G won't jailbreak on 3.0 anymore

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 2G won't jailbreak on 3.0 anymore
    So I successfully jailbroke/unlocked my 2G iPhone to the new 3.0 firmware a few weeks ago using Pwnage 3.0 tool. This morning I wanted to download a new ringtone through Cydia and it downloaded/installed Winterboard. It asked to reboot and that's when things got messed up. The reboot screen with the Apple came up but got stuck there. I tried force rebooting a few times but that didn't help. When I would connect the phone to my mac, iPhoto would recognize the phone but iTunes wouldn't. I put my phone into recovery mode and iTunes then saw my phone but said I needed to restore. I used Pwnage 3.0 to create a custom restore ipsw and tried to restore but got an error message. Tried a few times, same thing. I decided to restore to the original restore ipsw and that worked but obviously, it told me that my SIM was no supported. I tried a few more times to restore using the custom restore ipsw but still getting an error.

Is my phone bricked? Anyone have this problem before? Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Question: Does it matter which bootloader is running on a 2G iPhone to jailbreak/unlock to the 3.0 firmware?
    Last edited by jshon; 2009-07-18 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

No it's not a brick. Try re-jailbreaking it and that should get rid of your sim error when you sync after.

Once you put a phone in recovery, you may need to put your phone in DFU mode to re-install a custom ipsw file but the easiest is to use redsn0w to jailbreak, activate and unlock. Visit Dev-Team Blog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to satch2501 For This Useful Post:

jshon (2009-07-18)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

When I try to re-jailbreak, it gets stuck for about 5 minutes on the "Preparing iPhone for restore..." window then gives me the following error: "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1604)."

satch2501, if my phone is currently in recovery mode, how do i get it into DFU mode? i'm assuming these modes are not the same...

UPDATE: redsn0w worked! thanks!
    Last edited by jshon; 2009-07-18 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost