Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 2G 3.0 - SMS lost after receiving!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 2G 3.0 - SMS lost after receiving!
    Hi all,

Just upgraded a friend's iPhone to 3.0 version using pwnage tool with a Macbook Pro. She was abroad for almost 2 years, so she hadn't updated anything for quite some time!!! She still had 1.1.2 version!!! Everything went perfect jailbrak & unlock. Cydia and Icy installed, and already installed deveral essential apps such as: sb settings, openssh, netatalk, winterboard, cycorder.

Only one problem detected: After receiving a new sms, it notifies the reception and if you tap "ignore", when you later go to the text app the message isn't there. However, if you tap "reply", it opens the text app, it opens the message and it seems fine, but if you then choose not to reply and close the app, when you go there again, the new message also disapears. So I guess the text app isn't saving any new text messages arriving!!! Anyone had this problem? No other text apps such as MySMS are installed in the iPhone.

Thanks!
    NL

UPDATE: Should I just do the whole thing again? I mean jailbreak & unlock? I have an updated custom firmware for my own iPhone which I used and mine works fine... Should I try again using my firmware on her iPhone? THANKS!
    Last edited by LOPEZNUNO; 2009-07-05 at 03:50 AM. Reason: UPDATE! Notes also not saving! Try again?

Default Message lost after receiving
    Dear friend I m facing the same problem. Upgraded my1.1.1 2g iPhone to 3.0..everything works fine except SMS. The new message simply gets lost after receiving it.

Thanks in advance for your help

Note: j/b using pwnage 3.0

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yep my friend. I guess the problem is the same. Besides the SMS problem, maybe you should check the notes aplication also because I found out later that it wasn't saving the notes.

Probably if I get no answers I'll do the whole process again in the weekend and see how it goes. Then I'll post what happened. In the meantime if you get any clues/solutions, please post here.

Cheers!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LOPEZNUNO For This Useful Post:

adnanraza (2009-07-27)

Default Same here
    Similar problem here. 2G updated from 1.1-3.0
    I restored the previous iPhone settings not started from scratch and although I can receive messages from people on my saved message list from the previous version. It wont save messages from new contacts and it won't save my sent messages to them either. Interestingly on my contacts list of messages with just name & two lines preview it is stuck at the day before I restored, click the name and the latest message is at the bottom of the speech bubble list.

did anyone experienced problems with WIFI not working anymore after updating to 3.0 ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well as I said... unfortunately I didn't get any solutions from anybody showing the same "symptoms", therefore I just had the iPhone back in recovery mode (NOT DFU!) and made a new "select restore" in iTunes. I used the same IPSW CUSTOM Restore file as before and iTunes did it thing! Funny enough here are the results (simple I guess...):
    It all worked fine, I mean notes, sms, etc... All was running fine... saving notes , sending sms even with reports and those being kept! That was until I did the restore from previous backup phone"******" in iTunes... after that, it went back to trouble! No more sms saving and no notes saving!

I tried it for several times to exclude bad information, and the result is the same. I also used the same custom firmware (my own iPhone updating from 2.1) and had the same problem and with mine it worked perfectly with my own restore. THE PROBLEM LIES WITH THE RESTORE FROM PREVIOUSLY 1.X FIRMWARE BACKUP! So my conclusion (until better judgement) is: If you're using Pwnage tool for Mac and you're updating from at least 1.1.2 or something (I would even guess 1.x firmwares), you must set the phone as new and do NOT restore after backup! I'm sure it's a pain... to add again all the info manually, but after the other previous testimonials from adnanraza and collin_m, they're both updating from 1.x firmawares, so I'm pretty much sure that's it.

In conclusion: Sorry guys but until someone has an alternative, you can do the whole thing but NOT restore to your previous backup! Please Check it and post results so we may help others!

Cheeers,
    NL
    Last edited by LOPEZNUNO; 2009-07-12 at 05:06 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LOPEZNUNO For This Useful Post:

adnanraza (2009-07-27), Bazed (2009-07-28)

Default Thanks!
    Thanks LOPEZNUNO I will give it a try and post the results.

Hey LOPEZNUNO, Thanks for the info just installed and follwed the path of light ;-)...will try it for a while and update..cheers

I just came out of this issue, Originally jailbroken and unlocked at 1.2. Upgraded all the way to 3 and just a few days later of usage realized that I could not see my messages any more , and the notes that i have restored were all missed up (for some reason the titles of the notes were corrupted ) and the whole note application crashes if you try to create, edit or delete any note! Thanks to LOPEZNUNO valuable insight , I could confirm that this was indeed the issue of restoring from prior to 2.0 versions backup files . And so i had to downgrade all the way to my original version and did the upgrade gradually until I could get a backup from 2.0 , from which I could restore to my 3.0 upgrade and it worked fine. notes app is still crashing and missed up ,but this is a minor issue comparing to no SMS .So I'll keep looking for notes , in the mean time it would be cool if any of the Dev team could point us in the right direction. Thanks.

Here's the easy fix to this problem!

What I did is just deleted the sms.db and notes.db files, for each respective problem and rebooted. I posted the fix here:

Problem Solved!!! The fix for SMS and Notes Application not saving histories on your iPhone

Cheers!
    Last edited by funkdat; 2009-09-02 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I am assuming that after doing that, I could just restore my notes from a previous backup and everything should be kosher ?