Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G Phone w/ OS 3.0: Never Jailbreak/Unlock - Problem Restoring in iTunes

Talking 3G Phone w/ OS 3.0: Never Jailbreak/Unlock - Problem Restoring in iTunes
    Fellow users I need some help in restoring a never jailbreaked/unlocked phone with OS 3.0. I managed to create
    the custom ipsw using Pwnage Tool but doing restore in ITunes-I have error 1604
    that is after about 15 minutes in "Preparing the software for iPhone" state. I noticed the original(iPhone OS 3.0) ipsw file size is 230.1mB while the custom ipsw file size is 233.4mB.
    I tried restoring(DFU) the custom ipsw 5X but to no avail and the weird thing is- restoring the original ipsw works consistenly.

Can anybody shed a light on this? Thanks in advance.

June 24, 2009
    - By the way, I have Rogers as my carrier (Canada); if that matters?
    June 24, 2009 9:52AM Eastern Time
    - After restoring to original iPhone OS 3.0, I used redsn0w 0.7 (MAC version) and my phone is now jailbroken, that is with Cydia
    installed. SO IT iS a HAPPY ENDING AFTER ALL. Now unlocking I will.... using ultrasn0w. I'll keep you updated.
    Last edited by albrevng; 2009-06-24 at 03:58 PM. Reason: USED redsn0w to jailbreak - A HAPPY ENDING

Thanks

The phone needs to be in DFU mode to install the custom ipsw.

Yes, I did that 5X and fails-it goes to restore process but fails after 5mins. on error 1604. Maybe the restore process is checking the file size and checksum and calls home to Apple?

USE redsn0w, my experience with Pwnage tool was not very promising. I think because the custom firmware this tool created had a bigger file size than Apple firmware and therefore a different checksum. And performing a DFU to the custom firmware, everytime fails. When performing a restore, iTunes calls home (to Apple), and I think it verifies that what you are restoring is the right firmware by performing a checksum in the restoring process.
    That is what I think it is.

Thanks

I know OS X 10.5.6 breaks the DFU mode, you can update to 10.5.7 and itunes 8.2.

I perform the jailbreaking on my daughter's Macbook with OS X 10.5.7 and the same thing happened. I was not successful.