Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes.app broken after restore to custom 3.0?

Default iTunes.app broken after restore to custom 3.0?
    Hey everyone, hoping that someone knows what is going on...

I updated my pwned 2G from 2.2.1-->3.0 yesterday using the shift-restore method and a firmware from this thread.

Everything seems fine, it worked like a charm, but the only problem that I have is that the iTunes.app on the phone seems to have been affected:

the "new releases" field seems to completely collapsed on itself -- this problem extends to any menu in the store where it has to display pieces of media (video, music, podcast, etc).

I was wondering if anyone knew what was going on? I've been reading around and might it be a mobilesubrate problem? any fixes?

Thanks for the help in advance!

-JT

UPDATE:
    After jailbreaking 3.0 software, without installing in cydia, iTunes.app was fine. I installed my usual apps one by one and figured out that at least Winterboard was causing iTunes.app to go haywire. I suspect this is probalby the case for any skinning/theming app, like SBSettings maybe? Going to try that next.

Additionally, it seems that even uninstalling Winterboard through cydia still leaves iTunes.app broken as above.

UPDATE 2:
    Per my suspicions, SBSettings causes the same problem with iTunes.app as Winterboard...but as first posted below, putting the phone in Safe Mode through SBSettings fixes iTunes.app.

UPDATE 3:
    see my post below
    Last edited by daupin; 2009-06-21 at 04:39 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to daupin For This Useful Post:

ipwnapples (2009-06-20)

Yeah, that happened to me too. I'm really bummed cause I use the iTunes app a lot.

If anyone knows a fix, can you help us out?!

Much appreciation.

-ipwnapples

I figured something out!

Go to Cydia/Icy and install SBSettings if you don't have that already. After it's done, respring. When your iPhone is running again, slide your finger across the top of the screen, opening the SBSettings. Choose power, and select Safe Mode.

It'll put your iPhone in safe mode and allow iTunes to work. At least it worked for me.

It's a bit unconventional, I know. But it beats having to do a full restore.

-ipwnapples
    Last edited by ipwnapples; 2009-06-20 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ipwnapples For This Useful Post:

Hitone (2009-06-20)

oh, so that's a workaround that'll work if you just need to get to iTunes on the phone? Good to know!

...unfortunately for me, I thought that doing a restore might help me track down what went wrong...and I restored to a non-jailbroken, non-custom firmware...which means that i'm vanilla 3.0 right now, and really missing Categories

Oh well, hopefully quickpwn is released for windows soon...if not, is there a way to downgrade to 2.2.1?

thanks!

Default is this a universal problem?
    I am having this issue too...I tried both pwnage on mac and redsnow on a PC and I get the same result. I would rather use the sbsettings safe mode rather than not having sbsettings and winterboard tho. hopefully a fix is near.

Yfrog - 6k8.jpg - Uploaded by TeflonFong

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TeflonFong For This Useful Post:

SplitFire (2009-06-21)

Same thing happening here. Uninstalling SBsettings did not fix the problem for me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jjr3211's Avatar
    Thanks

yep been askin this question all day i hope there is a fix soon its the same problem we had on the beta's thought that was one of the reasons we had to wait on the jail breaks

yeah, I guess it's a mobilesubstrate issue? no idea about these things, but that has been tossed around in relation to this problem.

Default safe mode
    itunes works fine in safe mode but it gets broken again when switching back to normal. It is strange that just a few people have this problem. To narrow down the issue, how did you guys upgrade to jailbroken 3.0? I did a shift-restore in itunes 8.2 with a custom firmware I found in a torrent.

Also, have you tried to turn on insomnia? the little icon in the status bar does not show up and it is actually because the application is not working. Again, I found just a few people with this problem.

well I am on T-Mobile (USA) and I have SBSettings and Winterboard installed. I used both redsnow on a PC and pwnagetool on a mac. Same Results. If I don't install SBSettings or Winterboard the iTunes app works fine.

Hey everyone,
    I think that I stumbled onto a fix for this problem.

I ran into this thread on a google search this morning:

MacThemes Forum / iTunes app messed up after 3.0 jailbreak

the part pertinent to our predicament is the last post that says that mobile subtrate has been updated to fix this problem.

I've gone into cydia and searched for "mobile subtrate", and it's there, have installed it, then installed winterboard, and iTunes.app still works. I've even been able to download a music video through it, so I think it's ok.

I've already tried changing themes in winterboard, and that works too, iTunes.app is still fine. SBSettings also plays nicely with iTunes.app.

I think the crucial thing here is to download the updated mobile substrate before trying anything. From what it looks like, everything is fixed

-JT
    Last edited by daupin; 2009-06-21 at 04:40 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to daupin For This Useful Post:

jokesmith (2009-11-15)

I have the same problem with iTunes; but what about MMS and notifications? Was that working for some?

Update:
    I installed "Mobile Substrate" using Cydia and iTunes now...working-this update actually put the phone in "Safe Mode" per its package information.
    I am now waiting for MMS, notification fixes?
    Last edited by albrevng; 2009-06-21 at 04:50 PM.

Thanks

i downloaded the update and everything seems good now

Quote Originally Posted by jjr3211 View Post
    i downloaded the update and everything seems good now
    Is your MMS, Notification working after jailbreaking/unlocking to iPhone v3.0 using Pwnagetool?

Thanks

yep everything is great but I used redsnow

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr3211 For This Useful Post:

albrevng (2009-06-21)

Quote Originally Posted by jjr3211 View Post
    yep everything is great but I used redsnow
    I tried redsnow and did not work at all. By the way, do you have an iPhone 2G or 3G?

Thanks

it is a 3g i had to do a restore to 3.0 and then run redsnow and thats what got it to work for me

if you need help with anything pm me and i will try to help as much as i can
    Last edited by jjr3211; 2009-06-22 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I had the same problem with the app store app, itunes app and skype tried everything and finally I uninstalled Tricker ThreeG and VOILA everything seems to be working fine hit thanks if this helped.

I had the same problem with the app store app, itunes app and skype tried everything and finally I uninstalled Tricker ThreeG and VOILA everything seems to be working fine hit thanks if this helped
    Last edited by thxride; 2009-07-09 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by daupin View Post
    I think the crucial thing here is to download the updated mobile substrate before trying anything. From what it looks like, everything is fixed
    Hi all,

I followed the advices but for me to work I had to:

- uninstall all cydia apps using "mobile substrate"
    - uninstall "mobile substrate" itself
    - reboot
    - install "mobile substrate" alone
    - at this point itunes.app worked again
    - install all cydia apps using "mobile substrate" again

Trying to simply re-install the latest version of "mobile substrate" didn't work for me

Cheers, Joke

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jokesmith For This Useful Post:

talhadon (2009-11-20)