Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Problem with windows 7 and quickpwn

Default Problem with windows 7 and quickpwn
    I'm using 64-bit windows 7 and a few days ago I tried to jailbreak someones iPod touch with quickpwn and right after it went into dfu and quickpwn started to do its thing my computer froze. So I restarted the computer and had to hard reset the iPod. When I tried again it would no longer go into dfu no matter how many times I tried. So today I went and got my iPhone replaced and went to jailbreak it and same thing. Right after quickpwn started it's thing, the computer froze and now my phone will not go into dfu. I noticed that right when quickpwn started a little popup in the corner said windows is installing device driver and then the freeze happened, both times. I even restored and tried on another computer with vista and still no dfu. So are the iPod and iPhone toast as far as dfu goes? I guess when windows tried installing some driver while quickpwn was working, it busted it. Anyone have any ideas? Cuz I can't survive with a regular iPhone.

formerly known as arturpokusin playful_cyanide's Avatar
    Thanks

Lightbulb AppleMobileDevice.exe ?
    I remember that you used to have to shut off the "AppleMobileDevice.[ext]" service. You may have to do that before trying to jailbreak again.

Quote Originally Posted by Instructions

~ CTRL+ALT+DEL

~ Processes

~ AppleMobileDeviceService.exe |or| AppleMobileDevice.exe

~ End Process
    Hope it helps.
    Don't forget to hit
    Get your custom MMi Signature's here!

Join the MMi \/\/AVE experience

Yea, it's not because of that. That's not running. The phone itself just simply won't go into dfu mode no matter what computer it is connected to so it seems like it's an issue with the phone itself. Even a restore didn't fix it though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone navalynt's Avatar
    Thanks

I've used Win7 RC1 in x32 and x64 flavors as well as Server2k8 R2 x64 for jailbreaking the iPhone 3G using QuickPwn and thus far I have not had any problems at all. It sounds like you might be having driver related issues for your motherboard and USB. Keep in mind Windows 7 is only a Release Candidate at this time and while drivers for Vista generally work they are not guaranteed.

How do you think I could go about fixing both issues? The first issue being I need my computer not to freeze while it's quickpwning. Do I need to update a driver for something? Then I need to figure out how to get my phone to go back into dfu mode otherwise I'm never going to be able to jailbreak it again, which is not cool at all.

Thanks

Give this a shot:

First, if you manually installed any drivers for the motherboard run the uninstall program. Use Windows Update to install/update drivers for Windows 7. Only install using drivers from the manufacturer if Windows Update fails to find the driver. The very last resort is to use the Windows Vista drivers.

Then plug your iPhone data cable into one of the USB ports that is directly on the back of the motherboard. Don't use the front USB ports or any that might be installed to expansion slots.

Open iTunes then connect your iPhone. Wait at least three - five minutes or until iTunes recognizes the device. If iTunes does not recognize it then with the USB cable attached try to put the iPhone into DFU mode doing the following:

Hold in the home button for 5 seconds
    Continue holding the home button and press/hold the power button for 10 seconds
    Continue holding the home button but release the power button
    Wait at least 30 seconds to see if iTunes now recognizes the device in DFU mode

Keep in mind that this point, if it's the first time Windows 7 has had an iPhone in DFU attached, it needs to download/install the driver and this process can take three - five minutes. Once iTunes recognizes that your device is attached in DFU mode go ahead and do a restore. Once restored you should be back to a functional state and all of the drivers should be present to allow you to use the QuickPwn software.

Still no dice. This time I plugged it into the motherboard port and put it into dfu mode without quickpwn running and itunes recognized it, then windows began updating drivers and again...frozen. This is a brand new computer that I just built and haven't transferred much over to it yet so if it'll fix it I'll just reformat and reinstall windows. What steps should I take after windows is installed to make sure I don't do anything to mess it up again?

Thanks

Well, if you have the time and the patience you can always try re-installing Windows 7 and making sure you are using the correct version of iTunes (64 or 32bit according to the OS installation). Run all of the Windows Updates first then install iTunes and give it a try. I'd recommend you just stick with Vista for now though since Windows 7 RC1 is NOT supposed to be upgradable to the RTM build when it comes out and that should be sometime towards the end of September or beginning of October.

If you keep messing around with Windows 7 now you're going to have to re-install from scratch in a few months where if you install Windows Vista now you'll be able to upgrade to Windows 7 without having to re-install saving yourself a lot of work.

Ok, that worked. I reinstalled windows, installed itunes, connected the iphone via a usb port on the motherboard, restored it, put it into dfu and restored again so when I went to quickpwn none of the driver stuff came up to make it freeze and quickpwn worked just fine. Thanks for the help.

Yea, I know what you're saying about Windows 7 but I have until March before the two hour shutdown happens and I really don't feel like "acquiring" vista to use just for 8 months so I'll just re-do it all in March. Plus Windows 7 is nice.